What's cookin' boys?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Last time I got anything fresh like that was in Gulfport Miss, shrimp right off the boat, and flounder at night with a light and a gig... now the best I get is in the frozen food section of the super market

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last time I got anything fresh like that was in Gulfport Miss, shrimp right off the boat, and flounder at night with a light and a gig... now the best I get is in the frozen food section of the super market
There are some fresh seafood markets all up and down the coast. We took advantage of one when we were in Mississippi and ran down to dauphin Island for a day trip with the grandkiddos.

The fish market did a seafood boil with taters and corn with fresh shrimp caught that morning 😎😎😎😎 They didn't have anywhere to sit so we sat in the truck and pigged out 😁😁😁

Grandkids attacked it like a pack of wolves 😁😁😁😁😁

Another little shack restaurant in Destin Florida gets their shrimp and seafood from local fisherman. Their grilled shrimp with Orange Mango glaze is heaven on a skewer. Throw in the boiled taters and corn on the cob in bay seasoning and a cold brew chilled to perfection while eating on the dock..... it's the perfect date night 🤓🤓🤓🤓

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Making up my famous fruit salad to take over to dinner tonight 😁😁😁😁 It's dessert with dinner 😎😎😎

2 cans cherry pie filling.
1 can sweetened condensed mik.
2 small cans crushed pineapple
1 tub of cool whip
1 can fruit cocktail.

I dump the fruit cocktail and pineapple into a strainer and let the juice drain out of it before adding it to the bowl.

Mix everything together and chill for an hour before serving.

20201126_093424.jpg
20201126_093528.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
6 cups of cherry juice
2 cups of brandy. I use cherry brandy, (more or less to your taste)
1 cup of white sugar , (more or less to your taste).
Let it set for say 6 months the longer it sets the smoother it gets.
You can use it right away if you like, but letting it age a bit smooth's out the brandy a little more

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
6 cups of cherry juice
2 cups of brandy. I use cherry brandy, (more or less to your taste)
1 cup of white sugar , (more or less to your taste).
Let it set for say 6 months the longer it sets the smoother it gets.
You can use it right away if you like, but letting it age a bit smooth's out the brandy a little more
Hmm 6 cups of cherry juice, eg Montmorency cherry? Is this a new way of ingesting your antioxidants for arthritis?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hmm 6 cups of cherry juice, eg Montmorency cherry? Is this a new way of ingesting your antioxidants for arthritis?
Skeet's Arthritis and Gout Remedy. Prop up in front of the fire and sip as required until the pain goes away.

papajoe

Equipment
L3901DT Shuttle (2017), B6100E (1978), B6100E (1979), B6100HST-E (1985), RTV500
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
I smoked eight pounds of salt today. That's enough salt to last me and the wife for years, but she said she would pick up another eight pounds next month when she goes to town again. My friends and neighbors ain't shy about asking for smoked salt.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You smoked salt? How did you keep it lit?
OK Im being a smart arse, really how did you smoke the salt , was it loose or like rock or kosher? How?

papajoe

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
I use Morton pickling and canning salt. It comes in four pound boxes. Spread it out on three cookie sheets that just fit on my pellet grill. I use a smoke tube with apple wood pellets. Don't light the grill, just the smoke tube. It will burn for about four hours. Stir the salt about every hour. I smoke salt for eight to twelve hours. We use the smoked salt in nearly everything we cook.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK so basically you are cold smoking. Tell me about the smoke tube, Im thinking that might be a good way to do cheese as well

papajoe

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
That's the same way I smoke my cheese. The smoke tube is a stainless steel tube about a foot long by 2 inch diameter, full of holes and closed on one end. It holds about a pound of pellets and after lighting with a propane torch, will smolder for about four hours. This thing will put out more smoke than a bale of wet hay. I got mine on Amazon for about $15.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Got a little creative this weekend. Started off with simple Chile Verde (pork) and decided I wanted to do a little different than the normal Mexican, so I did a Mexican fried rice (not quite the Cuban Arroz Frito) and green chile egg rolls with a habanero sweet & sour dip.

Got asked to make sure I remember the recipe :)

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Got a little creative this weekend. Started off with simple Chile Verde (pork) and decided I wanted to do a little different than the normal Mexican, so I did a Mexican fried rice (not quite the Cuban Arroz Frito) and green chile egg rolls with a habanero sweet & sour dip.

just type that recipe up on here so you know where to find it 😁

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Gosh - like Ford said, I’d like to see that recipe.

Sounds really good!

I can improvise a lot of stuff, but Mexican and anything Asian are not in my repertoire. I do okay, but need something to go by.

Recently said I’d like to try homemade egg rolls.....

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Ok, you you go then.
Here was the finished product:

20201128_210057.jpg

Ok, let's see what I can do. I don't have an actual recipe, because I made it up as I went along, but I remember it pretty well. Measurements of stuff not in clear units (1 can, 1/2 onion) are all "-ish"

Chile Verde:
1 pound of meat (I used pork chops) cut into cubes/chunks ~1"
1 can of diced green chiles (7oz)
1 can of green enchilada sauce (14oz, or half a 24-oz) I used Old El Paso
salt to taste
1/2 large onion, cut in long pieces (I cut radially into 6-8 portions then separate the layers)

- simmer everything but the onions gently over low heat for 5+ hours.
- an hour before finishing, add the onions
- at the end, raise to boil to thicken the sauce. Add a corn starch slurry if necessary for desired thickness.

Prepare black beans - 1 can - before using in the other dishes by boiling a can with salt, cumin and powdered green chile.

Egg rolls:
black beans (half of the above)
canned green chiles, drained (about 4 oz)
sun dried tomatoes, chopped (dunno, a couple tablespoons?)
chopped onion - about 1/4 onion, more or less to taste (use the rest below)
1 finely chopped serrano (more or less to taste)
egg roll wrappers

- mix all filling ingredients in a bowl, add a little salt for flavor
- spoon into wrappers and wrap
- deep fry

Fried rice:
Prepared rice
- 1 Cup long grain rice (VERY important to use long grain)
- powdered green chile* (maybe 2 Tbs?)
- cumin (about 1-2 tsp)
- 2 cup chicken stock (unsalted)
- salt
The rest
- diced green chiles drained (about 4oz)
- 1 can RoTel, drained
- beans (the other half)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 onion chopped (or more)
- if you want a little more heat, add some chopped fresh green chile peppers

- prepare the rice an hour in advance by cooking normally with the chicken stock, chile, cumin, and salt
- spread the cooked rice on parchment paper on a sheet pan
- freeze for an hour

- just before starting the rest, take the rice out of the freezer and break it up. It will be kinda like peanut brittle. Break it up as much as possible but doesn't have to be completely broken.
- saute the onion and bell pepper for ~ 5 minutes (whatever fat you want, I like to use lard for Mexican)
- Add the rice and continue cooking. Keep stirring to break up the rice as much as possible
- When the rice is fully broken up and mixed, add the RoTel and canned chiles. Cook another couple minutes
- Add the beans, mix well, cook until everything is hot.

The noodle-like strips on top are deep-fried flour tortillas cut into strips. They're great for dipping in the sauce too.

Habanero sweet and sour:
1/4 cup honey. I used a hatch red chile honey*.
1-2 Tbs sugar
1/4-1/3 cup white vinegar
touch of salt
1/8 tsp powdered habanero**
1 Tbs corn starch
1/4 Cup water

- Mix the honey, sugar, vinegar, salt, and habanero together and simmer
- before thickening, adjust taste to suit
- corn starch slurry: mix corn starch with cold water
- bring to a boil then add slurry to thicken. Do more slurry if you want it thicker

* I grew up on New Mexico chile, so I get a lot of my chile at a place called The Chile Shop in Santa Fe. These are powdered chiles, not chile powder - difference being it's JUST the chile, no other spices.

** Not sure where you can get powdered habanero. I make my own. Dried a BUNCH of them from my garden then used a spice grinder to make a powder. Should have worn a gas mask... You could probably chop a couple and simmer that, then strain before thickening.

As mentioned, measurements are very approximate. Taste everything as you go so it suits!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Random- thanks much for the recipe. I use “approximately” and “more or less “ a lot when I tell someone how to make anything...so that works perfect for me...

That looks really great!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

papajoe

Equipment
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
I smoked four pounds of cheese today. One each of sharp cheddar, Colby, Swiss, and Muenster. Four hours of cold smoke with apple wood. Vacuum sealed and in the fridge. Now the hard part, waiting for it to mellow. Should be just right by Christmas. Will smoke another batch of salt in the next day or two, then more cheese next week. Makes great gifts.