What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just use crushed red pepper flakes maybe a teaspoon.

I use canned tomato sauce, but you could use about anything you have.

I mix shrimp with garlic and hot pepper. Sauté real quick and remove from pan. Don’t overdo them.

Then start in same pan with olive oil, onions and garlic in the sauté pan to make sauce. Tomato, oregano, basil, Some white wine, Cover an let simmer 10-15 minutes.

Cook pasta and toss into the pan with the sauce. Add shrimp back into the sauce just before pasta is done.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I just use crushed red pepper flakes maybe a teaspoon.

I use canned tomato sauce, but you could use about anything you have.

I mix shrimp with garlic and hot pepper. Sauté real quick and remove from pan. Don’t overdo them.

Then start in same pan with olive oil, onions and garlic in the sauté pan to make sauce. Tomato, oregano, basil, Some white wine, Cover an let simmer 10-15 minutes.

Cook pasta and toss into the pan with the sauce. Add shrimp back into the sauce just before pasta is done.
Great! That gives me some idea of what's important. Thank you. I have some home made tomato sauce from a friend.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
sheep - -

If you're particular about how the veggies are cooked, you can do an intermediate step with a saute of just the veggies. Saute veggies first, so that the shrimp "goodens" are in the pan when you start making sauce. Helps get the seafood flavor into the sauce.

I prefer green squash just done...not real soft. Same with some big onion pieces, maybe some bell pepper and snap pea pods too. Mushrooms?

Just adds a little texture. As you know, there is no limit as to what you want in a pasta dish like this....all what you like, and don't add what you don't like or have.

You can have the sauteed shrimps and veggies set aside separately before you start the sauce in the saute pan.

Just don't make it too hot if you're not into hot so much. Beyond that, it's pretty bulletproof.....

I did a quick search and found this Fra Diavolo I did a couple years ago. Looks like I probably had some whole tomatoes at the time. Don;t see much for veggies in this one.

It never looks the same way twice....but most stuff I make doesn't look the same way twice...

0fc298aab50f06198b88bf4eab4b66cd.jpg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Porterhouse and ribeye steaks with sweet corn and macaroni salad.

9E5C7362-7E96-4289-96F4-998CFDC37D18.jpeg

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
sheep - -

If you're particular about how the veggies are cooked, you can do an intermediate step with a saute of just the veggies. Saute veggies first, so that the shrimp "goodens" are in the pan when you start making sauce. Helps get the seafood flavor into the sauce.

I prefer green squash just done...not real soft. Same with some big onion pieces, maybe some bell pepper and snap pea pods too. Mushrooms?

Just adds a little texture. As you know, there is no limit as to what you want in a pasta dish like this....all what you like, and don't add what you don't like or have.

You can have the sauteed shrimps and veggies set aside separately before you start the sauce in the saute pan.

Just don't make it too hot if you're not into hot so much. Beyond that, it's pretty bulletproof.....

I did a quick search and found this Fra Diavolo I did a couple years ago. Looks like I probably had some whole tomatoes at the time. Don;t see much for veggies in this one.

It never looks the same way twice....but most stuff I make doesn't look the same way twice...

View attachment 64210
Makes sense. I like veggies not mushy, and can guess at relative amounts of onion and garlic, i like both. I haven't made many tomato sauce things, when I worked spaghetti was the kind that came in a jar. My mom was totally a meat and potatoes cook. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Chicago style pizza. Crust is gluten-free and worked out surprisingly well.

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Random - that looks awesome!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HOLLY COWW !!!!! that looks,, HOLLY COW !!!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
What's for supper tonight? First batch of about 60 dozen ears that'll be cookin' around the area tonight.
sweetcorn for Supper.jpg SweetCorn Patch.JPG

Just started picking this past weekend. Only 15000 +/- more cobs to pick! Makes for a strong grip by the end of the season. LOL! Once word gets out that the corn is ready, the customers start rollin' in!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back when we were kids like 10 or so, when the corn came in, we would be picking it by hand Uncle John only did maybe 5 or 6 acers, But in the morning bright and early we were picking, and picked enough to fill like 5 bushels, and the the cukes and egg plants. And loaded all the stuff into the back of a 57 Ford step side and off we went. like 3 times a week Aunt Audrey would hit the, at that time NEW HOUSING PLANS. And we sold off the back of the truck. I always got a tip from the Ladies cause when they wanted a dozen ears I mad sure there was a bakers dozen or 14 ears,, OHHH you such a sweet boy you keep da change. It got to the point they would be waiting for us, I guess somebody would call the cop if you did that today

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
IMG_0592.JPG

This little piggy got all tied up...
IMG_0591.JPG

And a little seasoning later he went round and round......all night long.
IMG_0589.JPG

Just in time for a pulling....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How is the cooker set up, are you heating off the sides or the end, and yes you know the more beer you drink the hog you eat and the more hog you at the more beer you drink, and so on and so on and ,,,,,,,,,,, :)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
sheep - -

View attachment 64210
Here is my first try, it came out good. Lots of veggies from garden, trying to move them along, zucchini, yellow crookneck, eggplant, mushrooms, onion. Might move eggplants and mushrooms room pieces closer to shrimp sauté so they can soak up some of the spices. Only problem is “sampling” shrimp while the other stuff cooked....need more shrimp.

D9C51876-5591-48E3-BE74-29BB2E63B283.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Here is my first try, it came out good. Lots of veggies from garden, trying to move them along, zucchini, yellow crookneck, eggplant, mushrooms, onion. Might move eggplants and mushrooms room pieces closer to shrimp sauté so they can soak up some of the spices. Only problem is “sampling” shrimp while the other stuff cooked....need more shrimp.

View attachment 64325
That looks fantastic! Good for you! 🦐😉

There's a bunch of really good cooks here at OTT, and I think they will agree you get a Gold Star for your first try at a Shrimp Fra Diavolo!

Only thing to keep in mind for future is mushrooms and eggplant will add a lot of water to your saute...you want the shrimp to almost sound like frying bacon for a little bit.

Season your mushrooms and eggplant and saute/cook them separately first, then add them to the shrimps, along with the nice broth they bring while the shrimp are at the end of their saute. Let just sit or simmer for a minute or two, then pour all of them off separately. Otherwise, you end up boiling the shrimp.

Make sense?

That does indeed look great. Now that you've done it once, the next time you'll want changes, as you've already suggested.

You'll be an expert before you know it. Best part is you know how you like it, and that's all that matters. Like I said, this is bulletproof.

I've gotten so I like a heavier linguini fini with a similar dish. Linguine itself is too heavy. Alternatively, I also like a pappardelle if the sauce is "thinner" with broth and/or wine. I typically make pappardelle myself, although there's some great pre-made fresh/dried we can buy here.

I can relate to picking shrimp out for "checking."

Years ago, we did a BBQ Shrimp from a Grill Cookbook my wife bought. 2 pounds of shrimp was a huge ticket item for us....it was a big deal for us then.

Most of the shrimp didn't make it into the house....we ate it right off the grill!

Pretty sure I've posted a picture of that recipe on this thread. We still use it 32 years later, and it's a favorite.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That looks fantastic! Good for you! 🦐😉

There's a bunch of really good cooks here at OTT, and I think they will agree you get a Gold Star for your first try at a Shrimp Fra Diavolo!

Only thing to keep in mind for future is mushrooms and eggplant will add a lot of water to your saute...you want the shrimp to almost sound like frying bacon for a little bit.

Season your mushrooms and eggplant and saute/cook them separately first, then add them to the shrimps, along with the nice broth they bring while the shrimp are at the end of their saute. Let just sit or simmer for a minute or two, then pour all of them off separately. Otherwise, you end up boiling the shrimp.

Make sense?

That does indeed look great. Now that you've done it once, the next time you'll want changes, as you've already suggested.

You'll be an expert before you know it. Best part is you know how you like it, and that's all that matters. Like I said, this is bulletproof.

I've gotten so I like a heavier linguini fini with a similar dish. Linguine itself is too heavy. Alternatively, I also like a pappardelle if the sauce is "thinner" with broth and/or wine. I typically make pappardelle myself, although there's some great pre-made fresh/dried we can buy here.

I can relate to picking shrimp out for "checking."

Years ago, we did a BBQ Shrimp from a Grill Cookbook my wife bought. 2 pounds of shrimp was a huge ticket item for us....it was a big deal for us then.

Most of the shrimp didn't make it into the house....we ate it right off the grill!

Pretty sure I've posted a picture of that recipe on this thread. We still use it 32 years later, and it's a favorite.
Yes it does make sense, order matters. I have to move shrimp out because pan not big enough, but lovely juice remained. Since shrimp were frozen I put in some of the juices after they thawed. Would be good to get eggplant to sop it up.

Other thing I need is a sous chef to help with cutting up all the veggies and cleaning up the kitchen! How does a relatively simple recipe end up with so many bowls etc dirty?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Other thing I need is a sous chef to help with cutting up all the veggies and cleaning up the kitchen! How does a relatively simple recipe end up with so many bowls etc dirty?
I’m betting there’s some good YouTube videos on how to properly use a chef’s knife. If you don’t have one, get one. A good one.

I’ve gotten quite attached to a Santoku knife instead of a chef’s. Works the same more or less, but still want a good one.

Don’t go cheap on cutlery.

That part of prep is very easy once you get the knife skills down. My wife has gotten quite good in the last few years.

I re-use and re-purpose as many pots/pans and utensils as possible during the process!

I used to have dishwasher personnel to take care of it, but now I’m the chief cook and bottle washer…

Last edited: