What year used kubotas meet these requirements?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Is 1988 to old to buy a kubota and get parts in another 20 years?

I found a 1988 Kubota L3350 35hp Tractor 4x4 w/Loader 4wd, power shuttle, 3pt, pto, loader, open canopy w/backhoe attachment ARPS model 90 $12k

This sounds good EXCEPT for parts availability. Is the L3350 obsolete with hard to find parts? Does it have known problems? I know the ARPS backhoe is completely obsolete and is probably worth around $1,000.

I think this shows it has a frame mount for the backhoe.

In 20 more years....parts, for a then 55 year old tractor, with relatively thin production numbers?
I would be VERY uncomfortable with that.
It has worked for the Ford 8N's, but that design production run was 800,000 units.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
In 20 more years....parts, for a then 75 year old tractor?
I would be VERY uncomfortable with that.
It has worked for the Ford 8N's, but that design production run was 800,000 units.
Parts were also much simpler and more durable then too. I am not sure I would take that bet on modern stuff in general…most stuff is disposable recently.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Suggest reading post #80 again!
That tractor the OP is considering is a 1988, not a 1998.
Typo, yes. Still my point stands, it's old enough that it should still be relatively serviceable, and parts relatively easy to make if someone needed to.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Is 1988 to old to buy a kubota and get parts in another 20 years?

I found a 1988 Kubota L3350 35hp Tractor 4x4 w/Loader 4wd, power shuttle, 3pt, pto, loader, open canopy w/backhoe attachment ARPS model 90 $12k

This sounds good EXCEPT for parts availability. Is the L3350 obsolete with hard to find parts? Does it have known problems? I know the ARPS backhoe is completely obsolete and is probably worth around $1,000.

I think this shows it has a frame mount for the backhoe.

I think the backhoe is the least of your worries. After all, besides the frame, it's just a collection of a valve, some hoses, cylinders, and in this case, a pump.

That tractor was available with single or dual clutch and manual or hydraulic shuttle. I'd be concerned with parts availability and price now, much less in 20 years. Looking at Messick's, clutch parts show 5-10 day ship, which we've learned may mean NLA. And clutch parts are pretty expensive. With a manual transmission, the clutch would be a concern to me.

How many hours are on it and does everything work correctly now? If you are insistent on a four cylinder engine in this size tractor, this may be as good as it gets. You do realize the loader is not quick attach, and probably not the backhoe either?

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I think the backhoe is the least of your worries. After all, besides the frame, it's just a collection of a valve, some hoses, cylinders, and in this case, a pump.

How many hours are on it and does everything work correctly now?
It has 1485 hours. A clutch can last almost forever or be abused into an early retirement. You never know how it was treated by a previous operator.

The backhoe concern is 98% based on the availability of replacement pins. Yes, hoses and valves should be replaceable with off the shelf generic parts. A tractor or other piece of equipment can work perfectly now and break down 3 hours after you get it home. That is why parts availability matters.

I wish I could find a chart showing kubota tractor production by model and years.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I saw a L3710 GST with 2200 hours at an auction today. Because I have learned a few things along the way I did NOT buy it.

Upon inspection the loader was twisted. The round bar holding the loader together had been broken loose and rewelded badly multiple times. The 3 point hitch arms were twisted. The bucket was held on with bolts (not greaseable pins). The loader pins did not show any sign of grease. The front end was loose. one tie rod end had been welded in place using some bar stock. The steering wheel turned a long way before moving the tires. The tractor obviously had been used with a 3 point backhoe. Not only were the 3 point parts broken (and welded together), bent, or twisted but the rear axle housing was cracked and leaking on the left side. The owner had obviously tried to fix the leak by putting something like JB weld on top. To be right the tractor would need a loader, rear axle, and 3 point hitch parts. Then when the tractor started it smelled like burning engine oil. I suspect maintenance was unknown to that tractor.

I am not complaining because I did not get the tractor. I figured top dollar for that tractor was $2,500 based on its condition. Since I did not need a parts machine I was not interested at all and did not even think about bidding on it.

The search continues.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I may have found a cheap L39 with 2000 hours.

If it is not a scam and not already spoken for, I will almost certainly get it.
It will require an 8 hour drive to look at.
It was supposed to have had a new engine 500 hours ago. I hope it still has the engine side panels.
It has doors and the rear window but apparently not A/C.
I will get the serial number before buying just in case it was stolen.

Product photo of kubota L39 backhoe

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I may have found a cheap L39 with 2000 hours.

If it is not a scam and not already spoken for, I will almost certainly get it.
It will require an 8 hour drive to look at.
It was supposed to have had a new engine 500 hours ago. I hope it still has the engine side panels.
It has doors and the rear window but apparently not A/C.
I will get the serial number before buying just in case it was stolen.

Product photo of kubota L39 backhoe
Don't forget, the loader is permanently attached. And check for 3pt arms, they probably won't be with it. I don't think Kubota offered a cab, so no AC, but that one seems to fit well.