What year used kubotas meet these requirements?

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I suspect one of your early remarks about broken axle housings was aimed at the JD 110TLB. I don't recall reading about a broken housing on a Kubota, especially one of the TLB's.
If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of this machine, it's because I don't have a good picture of what all you're wanting to do with a tractor. It's a great all around digger/hauler but not the best for other implements.
The broken axle housings were on a different brand of tractor. I know of 2 a (Yanmar based) John Deere and another unknown brand that broke an axle housing.

I have read that some Kubota tractors have an aluminum axle housing that can be weak. I have no idea what models have one.

When buying a piece of equipment (or car) buying a popular model makes for a lot better parts availability in the future. Even if just the loader bucket is hard to replace that is a problem. I do not want a loader that is hard to take off.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I own one. The price seems fair, but that's quite a few hours. I paid $14k for mine 3 yrs ago with 2000 hrs.
The L35, and its successor the L39, is a smaller frame than the 45, 47, and 48.
The loader isn't really removable, and with its weight hanging off the front and the backhoe hanging off the back and with the short wheelbase, it hobby horses pretty good over bumps. The small front tires add to that. The tractor is heavy, 6000#, for its size and with those relatively small R4 tires, it's not a traction monster. Fortunately, I have a larger tractor for mowing.
You can get an SSQA adapter for about $1200, then you'll need a bucket or convert the old one. There's a thread on here by someone who converted his, that's probably what I'll do.
3PH - on these TLB's you have to install the lower arms and lift links after removing the hoe. The parts came with the L35 (not sure about the L39), but not the L4x's. But most of the time, the arms have been lost and will cost about $6-700. The 3PH doesn't strike me as the stoutest part of the machine. I'd limit it to a mid-weight 5' or light 6' brush cutter.
The GlideShift is a love-hate piece of design genius. It suits me fine, but the hydrostatic tranny on the newer models is probably better overall. The early models had an issue breaking the wet clutch drum, but one with 3000+ hours was probably a newer edition or has had the drum replaced. Like a hydro, you really don't want to tear into one.
All that said, it's a stout compact tractor. The TLB's are in the construction line with mini-excavators, etc. I think they're targeted at the light construction contractor.
I suspect one of your early remarks about broken axle housings was aimed at the JD 110TLB. I don't recall reading about a broken housing on a Kubota, especially one of the TLB's.
If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of this machine, it's because I don't have a good picture of what all you're wanting to do with a tractor. It's a great all around digger/hauler but not the best for other implements. If you have anymore questions about an L35, I'll try to help.

The JD110's do not have an axle housing problem.
JD110's have a transmission case (cracking) problem.

The L4x's do not come with 3pt. hitch parts?
I think it depends if the original purchaser ordered them.
My L48 came to me with 3pt. hitch parts (which I will never use).

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The broken axle housings were on a different brand of tractor. I know of 2 a (Yanmar based) John Deere and another unknown brand that broke an axle housing.

I have read that some Kubota tractors have an aluminum axle housing that can be weak. I have no idea what models have one.

When buying a piece of equipment (or car) buying a popular model makes for a lot better parts availability in the future. Even if just the loader bucket is hard to replace that is a problem. I do not want a loader that is hard to take off.
If you do not want a loader that is "hard to take off", you absolutely DO NOT want ANY of the Kubota dedicated TLB's.

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The JD110's do not have an axle housing problem.
JD110's have a transmission case (cracking) problem.

The L4x's do not come with 3pt. hitch parts?
I think it depends if the original purchaser ordered them.
My L48 came to me with 3pt. hitch parts
You're right. Bellhousing, I think.
I'm pretty sure the lift apparatus was optional, even on the L39. In any case, if it's with a used tractor, it's almost a bonus.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: the list of jobs...
I have some overgrown (wet) hayfield I want to bring back. I want to straighten out a 5' driveway and dig some trenches. I want to reclaim a pond that is filled with weeds. I might even use the tractor to plow the yard using the bucket.

you need a tractor for the hayfield
either tractor or TLB for the driveway
you need TLB for the trenches
you need a tractor for plowing(using plow NOT the TLB bucket...)

'hayfield' 2 acres or 200 ?? size matters as a larger tractor should get it fixed faster. wet ? does it require simple recontouring of the soil or tiling ($$$) ??

'driveway' can be redone using either so that's a tossup....key to every gravel driveway or yard...frequent
maintenance !10 minutes EVERY month can keep it great, slack off and you're in for days of pain.

'pond', again size matters. 1/2 acre and up, rent a BIG excavator.it'll be faster and easier

'plowing the yard', tractor with 2 or 3 furrow plow,then finish depending on what goes into the ground.

Big(and heavier ) machines destroy soil, can be 'challenging' to navigate around trees, buildings, etc.
There's no 'Swiss army knife' machine, that's why many of us have several .

Whatever tractor you get ,if it has a loader ,be sure it has SSQA !! Unless you're young, strong and don't mind wasting 1/2hr EVERY time you swap a 4pin bucket for a 4pin set of forks......

Also, consider renting a TLB or excavator for a specific job. It could be cheaper to rent than buy the BH, if you really only need it for 3 or 4 jobs.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
This is the ad for the $12,000 L35 tractor if anyone else wants to buy it. Marketplace – Kubota Tractor With Loader And Backhoe | Facebook

I understand any tractor could need a clutch shortly after buying it. You can never tell who was easy or hard on their clutch. I once bought a car with a bad clutch because in a fairly short time the previous driver burned off one side of the clutch while the other side was almost like new. I had around 100k on a clutch that when looked at still looked to be in great shape (looked at due to a transmission problem).

I do not want to get into engine rebuilds, tearing off implements that were never made to come off easily to change the motor, and so on. I know lines, hoses, water pumps, alternators, and starters will die.

I want to minimize expected repairs by not purchasing likely problems. It looks like I will probably either look strictly for a low hour hydrostatic or better yet a shuttle. I did not realize the glide shifts were as complicated and expensive to fix.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is the ad for the $12,000 L35 tractor if anyone else wants to buy it. Marketplace – Kubota Tractor With Loader And Backhoe | Facebook

I understand any tractor could need a clutch shortly after buying it. You can never tell who was easy or hard on their clutch. I once bought a car with a bad clutch because in a fairly short time the previous driver burned off one side of the clutch while the other side was almost like new. I had around 100k on a clutch that when looked at still looked to be in great shape (looked at due to a transmission problem).

I do not want to get into engine rebuilds, tearing off implements that were never made to come off easily to change the motor, and so on. I know lines, hoses, water pumps, alternators, and starters will die.

I want to minimize expected repairs by not purchasing likely problems. It looks like I will probably either look strictly for a low hour hydrostatic or better yet a shuttle. I did not realize the glide shifts were as complicated and expensive to fix.
If you drive a GST correctly you'll never burn the clutch out because you don't use it! ;)

Reactions: 1 users

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
If you drive a GST correctly you'll never burn the clutch out because you don't use it! ;)
The problem is old habits are hard to break. I find myself clutching the GST all the time, and then go "why am I doing this?":LOL:

• Haha

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA

You and I think alike! I went the low hour HST route and found a 2001 L3010 with 614 Hours. They are out there, and my method was to check all the tractor sites, auction sites, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace once a day. One day it appeared out of the blue and I pounced on it.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you were looking for a used model with the GST which one would you think is the best I'm thinking about getting a used tractor to leave at our hunting camp and the GST tractors seem like a good option if I can find one in decent shape.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
3k hours on a kubota diesel is high hours? I’d figure for sure if maintained properly 3k is still young.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The problem is old habits are hard to break. I find myself clutching the GST all the time, and then go "why am I doing this?":LOL:
I had the same problem when I first got my HST. I am pretty much retrained now but every now and then......

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You and I think alike! I went the low hour HST route and found a 2001 L3010 with 614 Hours. They are out there, and my method was to check all the tractor sites, auction sites, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace once a day. One day it appeared out of the blue and I pounced on it.
I did the same!
Took me nearly a year....but then...when it popped up...
I POUNCED!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you were looking for a used model with the GST which one would you think is the best I'm thinking about getting a used tractor to leave at our hunting camp and the GST tractors seem like a good option if I can find one in decent shape.
If you don't mind super simple, no real fluff.
I would personally do second 50 series, a L3450 or 3650 are my best picks.
First 50 series L2650, L2850, are good, but the second series has a better engine design.
They are all mechanical to the GST so no wires and solenoids to for any critter to chew up.
They have Hydrostatic steering, tough and no feedback if you hit rocks or trees and such.

If you want a nicer tractor with nicer options a 00 10, 30, 40 series is better equipped, but they are more into electronics.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you don't mind super simple, no real fluff.
I would personally do second 50 series, a L3450 or 3650 are my best picks.
First 50 series L2650, L2850, are good, but the second series has a better engine design.
They are all mechanical to the GST so no wires and solenoids to for any critter to chew up.
They have Hydrostatic steering, tough and no feedback if you hit rocks or trees and such.

If you want a nicer tractor with nicer options a 00 10, 30, 40 series is better equipped, but they are more into electronics.
Ok thanks I'm old school the L3450 or 3650 sound good to me.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I came across a 3010 with 1700 hours, a heated Curtis cab (A/C not mentioned), and QA bucket for$18k. It probably has a hydrostatic transmission. The cab may be throwing me off but I think that is a smaller sized woods backhoe than it should have.

This is a "grand L" tractor whatever that means. Do the 3010 tractors have any commonly found problems to be aware of? How long are hydrostatic transmissions good for if properly serviced?

Do the Curtis cabs fit well and do they make noises going over rough ground?

Thank you for your replies.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I came across a 3010 with 1700 hours, a heated Curtis cab (A/C not mentioned), and QA bucket for$18k. It probably has a hydrostatic transmission. The cab may be throwing me off but I think that is a smaller sized woods backhoe than it should have.

This is a "grand L" tractor whatever that means. Do the 3010 tractors have any commonly found problems to be aware of? How long are hydrostatic transmissions good for if properly serviced?

Do the Curtis cabs fit well and do they make noises going over rough ground?

Thank you for your replies.

Grand "l"s are Kubota's top of the line tractor.
Curtis cabs are highly respected.
Can't answer your other questions.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Turf tires, high hours, 23.5hp, hydrostatic transmission, one was from the early 80's and probably hard to get some parts for, some were overpriced, 500 miles away at $3 a mile delivery charge, and one sold before I could call. Turf tires would probably cost $2k to replace with ag tires.

When I buy a tractor I want sufficient PTO power to handle any attachments I might want to use such as bush hogs, post hole diggers, rototillers. and balers.

The problem with hydrostatic transmissions is not so much their noise and the wasted fuel but the expense of rebuilding one when it becomes necessary.
Hydrostatic transmissions are great when they work but also are very expensive to repair when they do not.
Hydrostats are very reliable. I’ve known lots of people who own them as I do. Never known one needing a rebuild, although I’m sure it happens. My dealer told me that for every 1 hydrostat rebuild, they replace 15-20 clutches on GST tractors.