What year used kubotas meet these requirements?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found this for under $3,000 delivered to my door. Does anyone know if the L245DT came with power steering? Are parts readily available? Would this be good to buy just to sell or trade to make the next tractor a less expensive purchase?

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has about this model.

L245dt. 4x4, diesel with 4 speed high and low. 3 speed pto. Has a hydraulic leak from the reservoir and needs the wiring to be redone. It runs and drives.

Yes, I need more information from the seller. I can see the bottom of the bucket was cut off and replaced (but not fully welded at the top seam). The grille and headlights are missing. The top of the muffler is rotted off. If the muffler is still good I can weld a pipe on it. It looks to have been garage kept. There never were side panels covering the engine from the factory.

It will take a day and $100 in fuel to look at it.

Product photo of 1982 Kubota L245dt

An IFFY purchase IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I found another (undesirable) L245 that is currently 2 wheel peel although it does have parts to put it back to four wheel drive. This makes me wonder why they got the parts but did not install them and if they got the correct parts.

The ARPS backhoe is so old the name brand has been taken over twice and no parts are available for it from the current manufacturer. I almost think I like the bank of individual controls instead of 2 controls for all functions as replacement valves should be cheaper. Similar ARPS backhoes have sold for $1,000 or less. I thought some members might have some interest in seeing an absolutely antique backhoe. I do not remember seeing this style of tractor backhoe before.

No, I am not foolish enough to buy this for $7500 plus $500 shipping. I might go to $4,000 delivered but the seller would not accept that kind of offer. I might take that style of backhoe for $1,000 or less with a frame mount for a newer Kubota if the pins were tight.

The search continues....

This looks like a 6 1/2' backhoe.

6 individual valve banks should be cheap to replace if one fails.

The hydraulic hoses must be related to snakes as they are shedding their skin.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found another (undesirable) L245 that is currently 2 wheel peel although it does have parts to put back to four wheel drive. This makes me wonder why they got the parts but did not install them and if they got the correct parts.

The ARPS backhoe is so old the name brand has been taken over twice and no parts are available for it from the current manufacturer. I almost think I like the bank of individual controls instead of 2 controls for all functions as replacement valves should be cheaper. Similar ARPS backhoes have sold for $1,000 or less. I thought some members might have some interest in seeing an absolutely antique backhoe. I do not remember seeing this style of tractor backhoe before.

No, I am not foolish enough to buy this for $7500 plus $500 shipping. I might take that style of backhoe for $1,000 or less with a frame mount for a newer Kubota if the pins were tight.

The search continues....

I had a Ford 3400 TLB with 4 levers for 33 years.
I like my Kubota L48 TLB, but at my age, I will never be as good with 2 levers as I was with 4.
Two levers seems to me like stirring pudding.........with 2 hands.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I found another (undesirable) L245 that is currently 2 wheel peel although it does have parts to put it back to four wheel drive. This makes me wonder why they got the parts but did not install them and if they got the correct parts.

No, I am not foolish enough to buy this for $7500 plus $500 shipping. I might go to $4,000 delivered but the seller would not accept that kind of offer. I might take that style of backhoe for $1,000 or less with a frame mount for a newer Kubota if the pins were tight.

The search continues....

If you prefer to operate individual valves, fine, but don't justify it on cost. You could buy a complete valve from Summit for about the cost of one section of my Husco.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
If you prefer to operate individual valves, fine, but don't justify it on cost. You could buy a complete valve from Summit for about the cost of one section of my Husco.
I figured it would be 6 individual single acting valves. A generic (not tractor brand) single acting valve would be available from the aftermarket at a reasonable price. I do not know if a Kubota style multifunction valve is readily available from the aftermarket or how much one would cost. Complexity usually adds a large amount to the cost.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I know, things do not always work out. After driving about 260 miles today (round trip) to look at a bad trailer I am looking at driving about 650 miles (round trip) very quickly to look at a tractor.

This is a 1995 kubota l2900 with 1100 hours that needs a front left tie rod. and the price is right.

Are there any problems with getting parts for the l2900?

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's a good looking machine. 1995 isn't all that old. I'm not familiar with parts availability for them though.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's a good looking machine. 1995 isn't all that old. I'm not familiar with parts availability for them though.
I would talk to the parts department at a local dealer to learn about parts availability.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know, things do not always work out. After driving about 260 miles today (round trip) to look at a bad trailer I am looking at driving about 650 miles (round trip) very quickly to look at a tractor.

This is a 1995 kubota l2900 with 1100 hours that needs a front left tie rod. and the price is right.

Are there any problems with getting parts for the l2900?

If I were you I would drive to look at that one!

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
Unfortunately the tractor is probably sold. I got a reply saying a lot of people were interested and the seller would let me know if it did not sell. I was planning on taking the drive down because that tractor looked like it would be worth the trip.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the 00 series is easy enough to get parts for.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Unfortunately the tractor is probably sold. I got a reply saying a lot of people were interested and the seller would let me know if it did not sell. I was planning on taking the drive down because that tractor looked like it would be worth the trip.
You will ALWAYS need to move quickly ....with cash in hand....for ANY tractor good deal.
I realize that the drive would have been somewhat inconvenient, but for a quality used tractor of the type/brand that you want, to show up in your neighborhood (wherever), you will need more than just luck.
Especially so in Northern Maine.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
You will ALWAYS need to move quickly ....with cash in hand....for ANY tractor good deal.
I realize that the drive would have been somewhat inconvenient, but for a quality used tractor of the type/brand that you want, to show up in your neighborhood (wherever), you will need more than just luck.
Especially so in Northern Maine.
I sent a message as soon as I saw the ad. I would have called if the phone number was given. I mentioned I was 6 hours away and asked to see it. I was planning on driving down today. I did not wait but sometimes you just do not see an ad in time to act on it quickly enough.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I sent a message as soon as I saw the ad. I would have called if the phone number was given. I mentioned I was 6 hours away and asked to see it. I was planning on driving down today. I did not wait but sometimes you just do not see an ad in time to act on it quickly enough.
It is obvious that you do understand what needs to be done!
I wish you better luck next time?
That was not the last Kubota in the world.
Sometimes these things do not work out, because they should not work out.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
It is obvious that you do understand what needs to be done!
I wish you better luck next time?
That was not the last Kubota in the world.
Sometimes these things do not work out, because they should not work out.
I spent several months looking before I found my 12 valve cummins diesel 1997 Dodge ram 3500 club cab. I was going to look at a different truck but it sold before I could get to it. My requirements were specific. It had to be close to 100k miles (it had 14k extra), it had to be a 1997 or a 1998 built in 1997 to have hydroboost brakes, it had to be a club or quad cab, and it had to be a rust free automatic. I found the fancier model with power everything (except seat) and could not ask for a better truck. I will spend several months tracking down the perfect tractor the same way. Looking at listings at least once a day if not multiple times. And then going to see the tractor when it finally arrives ready to buy it.

There will always be another tractor, car, truck, woman, and house that will be available in the future. You just need to be careful not to get the wrong woman or she will take your tractor, car, truck and house. :rolleyes:

i asked to see that tractor before I asked about parts availability. I figured I would get the answer by the time I got there to look at the tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Most Kubotas newer than 1990 that weren't some unicorn/rare model, or grey imported, will have good parts availability. If you have to jump fast, take a risk. A good deal will always resell anyway, your risk is relatively low.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
What other tractors take the same backhoe frame mount that fits a Kubota l3940 tractor?
It may (or may not) be possible to buy a bucket loader tractor and add this backhoe at a reasonable price.

I found a woods bh90-x backhoe that fits a Kubota l3940 very reasonably priced (under $5k). It has been stored outside and needs a seat but the hydraulic hoses look to have sleeves so they should not be weather damaged.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
Is 1988 to old to buy a kubota and get parts in another 20 years?

I found a 1988 Kubota L3350 35hp Tractor 4x4 w/Loader 4wd, power shuttle, 3pt, pto, loader, open canopy w/backhoe attachment ARPS model 90 $12k

This sounds good EXCEPT for parts availability. Is the L3350 obsolete with hard to find parts? Does it have known problems? I know the ARPS backhoe is completely obsolete and is probably worth around $1,000.

I think this shows it has a frame mount for the backhoe.