What valve for 3pt snow blower discharge chute?

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Hello everyone,
I have a L3130 with two rear hydraulic ports already installed. I only use if for the backhoe, when it is not connected it just connects to itself (creates a closed loop). I just bought a 3pt (pto driven) snow blower used. Woods sb74. It has a hydraulic rotation motor for the discharge shoot. I CAN NOT spin fully around. Any idea what valve I need to use this thing? I assume it has to bypass by default, then have the ability to flow both ways?

Thanks for any help you can think of.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Does your tractor have a BH diverter valve? You will need some sort of open center valve.

K will sell you a complete remotes kit just bolt on and go. Yes up front it may seem expensive compared to cobbling something together but it's worth it if you don't know what you are doing or getting yourself into.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello everyone,
I have a L3130 with two rear hydraulic ports already installed. I only use if for the backhoe, when it is not connected it just connects to itself (creates a closed loop). I just bought a 3pt (pto driven) snow blower used. Woods sb74. It has a hydraulic rotation motor for the discharge shoot. I CAN NOT spin fully around. Any idea what valve I need to use this thing? I assume it has to bypass by default, then have the ability to flow both ways?

Thanks for any help you can think of.
Could you expound on what you want a little. Do you want to put a new valve up front to operate the chute? If so thats easy and inexpensive.

Dan

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Does your tractor have a BH diverter valve? You will need some sort of open center valve.
I'm not sure. It currently has two hydraulic ports in the rear. The backhoe plugs into them. When they are not in use they are connected to together to create a closed loop. No valve that I am aware of...the valves are all in my backhoe.

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Could you expound on what you want a little. Do you want to put a new valve up front to operate the chute? If so thats easy and inexpensive.

Dan
My goal is to control the snowblower chute. I'm not sure the best way to do this. I assume it requires a valve + some hose. I am flexible where I mount the valve if I have options.

Thanks for your help guys

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My goal is to control the snowblower chute. I'm not sure the best way to do this. I assume it requires a valve + some hose. I am flexible where I mount the valve if I have options.

Thanks for your help guys
I looked at the manual for your blower. It appears to have a hydraulic cylinder for the dedlector and a hydraulic motor for chute rotation.

To control that you would need a two spool valve with power beyond. To install the valve on the tractor:

1. Your backhoe is fed from the power beyond on the loader valve. Disconnect that hose at the valve and use a new hose to connect the loader valve to pressure in on your new valve.
  2. Connect the hase going to the backhoe to the power beyond port on your new valve.
  3. Locate the tank return hose on the loader valve. Install a tee in that hose and connect the tank return port on your new valve to the tee
  4. Install four quick connects on the rear of the tractor and connect them to the work ports on your new valve.
Thats it. Plug the hoses from the snow blower into the new outlets and you are good to go.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You might also need a flow restrictor on the hoses to the motor since many of those type of motors will turn too fast at full volume and pressure.

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
I've never bought a valve before. Where should I look? Any specific brands I should look into? I assume there is a fair amount of options....hose sizes etc.

Also...I don't know if my motor has an speed restrictor. This is old snowblower...I think you guys are looking at newer ones.

This is the motor that is on it :

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've never bought a valve before. Where should I look? Any specific brands I should look into? I assume there is a fair amount of options....hose sizes etc.

Also...I don't know if my motor has an speed restrictor. This is old snowblower...I think you guys are looking at newer ones.

This is the motor that is on it :

Not sure but I suspect the fittings screwed into the ports on the motor are the restrictors.

I can point you to a few valves. They are dirt cheap. You dont need or want anything larger tha 1/4" hoses.

Dan

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Difficult to know for certain if there are flow restrictors in the existing motor, but the motor is rated at 469 RPM, and that is extremely fast for a snowblower chute. It needs to be slowed considerably, and how that is or will be accomplished will be your decision. I use Parker adjustable flow control valves on both hoses to regulate the motor when I installed a hydraulic turning mechanism on my BX snowblower. I found used ones on eBay at reasonable prices.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Difficult to know for certain if there are flow restrictors in the existing motor, but the motor is rated at 469 RPM, and that is extremely fast for a snowblower chute. It needs to be slowed considerably, and how that is or will be accomplished will be your decision. I use Parker adjustable flow control valves on both hoses to regulate the motor when I installed a hydraulic turning mechanism on my BX snowblower. I found used ones on eBay at reasonable prices.
Is that its max RPM rating? Since there is no associated flow rate I would assume so.

What is the displacement of the motor? That is what tells us how fast it will run on a tractor with an 8 GPM flow rate.

Edit: The motor is a CharLynn model 101-1749-009 with a displacement of 2.2 cubic inches. At a flow rate of 8 GPM (1842 cubic inches) speed would be 840 RPM. So for that part alone the tractor flow needs to he cut in half.

We also don't know the gear ratio of the chute rotator.

After looking at the parts diagram the OEM flow restrictors are -10 male ORB port adapters with a .031 orifice and -06 male JIC ends. That sure looks like what's installed in the motor shown in the OP's picture.

We are also talking about using a manual directional control valve to operate the motor. That valve will provide significant flow metering in addition to the flow restrictors.

I suggest he install the directional control valve, hook it up, and see how it runs on his tractor before getting carried away with additional flow control valves he may not need 💡

Dan

Last edited:

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
I can take the motor off and see how fast it spins once I get the plumbing done.

The L3130 has a 1.5. My research says the hydraulic pump runs 31.5 liters per minute (8.3 gpm).

So what exactly are my search terms for this valve? I require the directional controls because the chute does not spin fully around.

I did some searching for hoses and most of the advice is to bring a sample hose to a shop. I would much rather buy online...is there no Kubota standard?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can take the motor off and see how fast it spins once I get the plumbing done.

The L3130 has a 1.5. My research says the hydraulic pump runs 31.5 liters per minute (8.3 gpm).

So what exactly are my search terms for this valve? I require the directional controls because the chute does not spin fully around.

I did some searching for hoses and most of the advice is to bring a sample hose to a shop. I would much rather buy online...is there no Kubota standard?
See my edited post above.

You need an open center manual directional control valve with power beyond capability. Here is an inexpensive valve that should do everything you need for $100. Be sure to buy the power beyond conversion sleeve which is sold separately.

You can buy premade hose assemblies in increments of 6" for shorter ones and 12" for longer ones. I would recomend 3/8" hose with JIC female ends from SurplusCenter. Com. You will also need ORB to JIC port adapters for the valve. That is pretty much what Kubota uses.

If you can post a picture of the backhoe hose where they connect to the tractor I will give you a diagram for the plumbing.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Here is the current two connections. I just realized I goofed...its a "Woods SS74"...sorry about the mix up.

Thanks a ton for the help. I really apprecaite it.
I think the pictures show the connections to the backhoe. I was asking for pictures of where those hoses connect into the tractor hydraulics. I would expect one connects to the loader valve and the other connects to the hydraulic outlet block on the side of the transmission.

Dan