What Topper?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Hi,I am Dave from not so sunny Wales,part of the UK.
I have just bought my first Kubota,a 1978 B7100 and wanted some advice on what size topper I can use on it.I have been offered a Wessex 710 4ft topper and wondered if she could drive one that size.
What do you all think?
Cheers
Dave

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I'm not sure what you mean by a topper, but Im sure if the price is right,,"LIKE FREE" Im sure a little cut bend and weld you could make it fit.. Yeah Im being a Smarta$$, must be the pain meds,kickin in
, but really if these guys can't help ya nobody can

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well after curiosity killing the cat and a few minutes on Google apparently this is what a topper looks like.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
WELL I don't know. I did a Google search for the Wessex 710 4ft topper that was in question and what I posted is what I found. I suppose that Wessex is a name brand and perhaps the 710 is the particular model in question.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
On this side of the pond we call it a brush cutter. Sometimes referred to as a grass cutter, for pasture, not to be confused with a mower for lawn and garden work. Bush Hog is one manufacturer, but they are also made by John Deere. Landpride and many others.

Back to the original question, 42" or 48" is recommended for that size tractor. If you can, get one with the solid laminated tire, these last better than air filled ones.

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
I also have a B7100 and use a 4ft LMC Clipper Rotary Pasture Mower with great sucess! The manual says 42" maximum but I have used mine to clear brush and small trees. If the tractor will ride it down the mower will chop it up! Here in the Heartland of Kentucky "Bush Hog" is a generic term for this type of mower no matter who actually manufactures it. The term "topper" really had me thrown for a loop! One Caution! My 4ft mower is slightly heavy for my tractor, and when it is the raised position even with liquid filled tires and a homemade front bumper of railroad rails (about 100lbs) the front end of the tractor may bounce or become airborne when travelling on rough roads or trails so be careful.

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Well we still haven't heard back from the fella to know what he's looking for!
Well thanks for the replies,I have been quite busy as we have had quite a snowy period for this part of the world,nowhere what you guys get but over here 2 flakes 2 days in a row seems to bring thiing to a stands till,lol
Over here a topper is for tidying pasture and and a brush hog,yes we do call them a "brush hog" which is a much more heavy duty thing and is used for forrest rides and other areas of scrubland.
I did go and see the Wessex 710, Wessex is a manufacturer of farm machinery.When I got there it turned out to be one meter wide so from what has been said about a 4ft making the front end light made it more suitable topper so glad I bought it.

When I bought the tractor from an old boy it had 750x16 landrover tires on the back and 12 " car tires on the front so yesterday I fitted four new Ags/lugs of the correct size and spent the rest of the day tearing up and down my quite hilly land.I did notice that it is not that stable after setting the wheels out so will make enguiries about getting a ROPS.
Cheers
dave

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Just be careful, Traildust aka Scott just put up a post the other day about ROPS and a few story's about tractor over turns on hillside's. ALWAYS drive the slope up and down, never side to side so you don't barrel roll. I've done a little bit of bush hogging work on a hill side so steep that I drove from the top down and went to make another pass back to the top and the front end did not stay on the ground, so I had to back up the hillside drive back down then back up the hillside again to keep my weight even.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Hi Dave,
Sure glad to hear everything worked out with the tractor and the item you were shopping for. I don't know how much research you did on ROPS yet, but there is this stinker of a thread I started. There are a couple of Kubota links that just might be of help to you.

Scott

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I have contacted Kubota UK to see if they run a similar discount ROPS program over here but I won't hold my breath for a good result!
I thought I would post some pics of my little orange Girl.
She is a 1978 model going by the chassis no, looks totally original with no leaks or whines or knocks and run a like a dream with just a whiff of vapour from the breather.The only electrical parts that does not work is the horn and I can't see the glo plug warning light glowing but she starts easily after 20-30 seconds of heat.
She shows 3900 hours on the clock but have noticed the hours recorded are more than the time she is running ...any Ideas why?
cheers
Dave

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have contacted Kubota UK to see if they run a similar discount ROPS program over here but I won't hold my breath for a good result!
I thought I would post some pics of my little orange Girl.
She is a 1978 model going by the chassis no, looks totally original with no leaks or whines or knocks and run a like a dream with just a whiff of vapour from the breather.The only electrical parts that does not work is the horn and I can't see the glo plug warning light glowing but she starts easily after 20-30 seconds of heat.
She shows 3900 hours on the clock but have noticed the hours recorded are more than the time she is running ...any Ideas why?
cheers
Dave
Dave, she is a beauty! For the high hours, maybe it's not the original indicator. I also don't know anything about how the system works on that tractor but is there a chance that IF the ignition switch is left in a certain position without the engine running that the hours will continue to tick away?

Scott

B7100

Equipment
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Dave, she is a beauty! For the high hours, maybe it's not the original indicator. I also don't know anything about how the system works on that tractor but is there a chance that IF the ignition switch is left in a certain position without the engine running that the hours will continue to tick away?

Scott
The hours meter does keep ticking with the ignition switched on but have eliminated that as the cause.
When I start the tractor I look at my watch and the hour meter and when finished,look at both again,the meter is running at nearly twice as fast as real time. Is there any way to adjust these things?
Dave

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The hours meter does keep ticking with the ignition switched on but have eliminated that as the cause.
When I start the tractor I look at my watch and the hour meter and when finished,look at both again,the meter is running at nearly twice as fast as real time. Is there any way to adjust these things?
Dave
Dave, that sure is a strange one. I have basic hour meters that I have installed on some of my own small motors, even my old boat. I'm not aware of a way to adjust them. You know, there may not even be away to adjust them because if it were possible then some "bad" owners would crank them way down. I don't know, sorry.

Maybe you are looking at getting a new one. This way you will have a zero hour tractor :D

One more thing is maybe if you posted a new thread on the hour meter you will get more people looking. Right now they think the topper thread is being updated and my not take a peak.

Scott