What to buy??

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
First off, thx for letting us in on this neat site!!

My wife and I are trying to find her a smaller tractor (hst version) that has both a FEL and Backhoe. Her main purpose is for heavy duty gardening. She's a bit of a rock collector I say, although she won't admit it. She likes the bx25d, but I'm thinking in no time she will outgrow the machines ability to harvest her rocks. She has test drove the bx, b and l series and is ok with all. I'm kind of leaning towards the b2650 or b3350. I have read where it seems there can be issues with the DPF on the 3350's or is this an old issue? What do you experienced members advise for her needs?

Also, on the purchasing side of this, what kind of discount can one negotiate? We have never bought a tractor and would appreciate not being taking for a ride. We are fair and understand the dealer has to make something, but what can we attempt to take off?

We are in Ontario, Canada.

thx in advance.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
plumcrazy,,, sounds like an old Mopar color,,lol,,, Really I don't know what your lovely bride has in mind unless she is doing some really heavy duty prospecting, but the BX25 is a beast of a little machine, you see a lot of them out in construction and while they might seem like a toy trust me they aint! .. Now lets get to what she wants to do ,, rock hound can mean a ton of things from digging up her rock garden to plant petunias, to moving tons of rock looking for some kind of ore. SO with that in mind please expand or the uses. Just trying to help but you have to remember while bigger is not always better, so in order to help we need a bit more info,,, OH and welcome to the orange and when she finds the one she likes,, we love pictures:D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Plumbcrazy, unless you really need a lot of PTO horsepower I would stick with the B2650 which has no DPF. Only reason I say this is I'm in northern Ontario and my dealer told me to stay away from the Kubota's with DPF's right now. They are still working out the bugs. He told me a few dealers he trades with in southern Ontario said they are also having quite a few problems with them. Not major failures....but stuff that will annoy you. My dealer brought in all B2650's for that reason.
Just a thought, but I don't own one. I went B2620.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
hi gang,

Just to clarify, plumcrazy was (and I use that sternly, lol) a 1970ish Dodge color. Tech, fc7.

Now back to the rock collector. We have 95 acres where there are a lot of rocks my better half would like to be able to harvest. She loves old school stone fences and I assume she is wanting to build a few.

The tractor will get get used front and back, I'm more concerned that we make the right call on size. I'd really hate to not have enough tractor but too much at the same time for her. We do have an older mf135 that I can help out with the heavier bucket stuff, but she will need to dig some rocks out of the ground.

My train of thought was for her to grab a rock, between the bucket and mechanical thumb and bring it to a point for collecting at a later time. She has a thing for big rocks so,,,,,,,,,,

She will probably also run some smaller farming equipment, like a rototiller etc.

We are not farmers by any means, but it's all about making the hard work a little less tasking on time. We tend to do this stuff on weekends.

Hope this helps on the insight.

If anyone wants to see the real "plumcrazy", I have pics of my original paint car form the 70's. You might be surprised just how deep a color it was.

Last edited:

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
The B/BX are very nice, but I must say for the extra money the Grand L series is very nice, especially for a new owner like me :)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
As suggested, steer well clear of the new Tier 4 models. With 90 acres to play with, I'd be looking at an L3200/3800, L4600 or Grand L40 series if you can get them. You will find them quite agile, and love the additional ground clearance, traction and capacity. You will also avoid the DPF (Tier 4) nightmare.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
As suggested, steer well clear of the new Tier 4 models. With 90 acres to play with, I'd be looking at an L3200/3800, L4600 or Grand L40 series if you can get them. You will find them quite agile, and love the additional ground clearance, traction and capacity. You will also avoid the DPF (Tier 4) nightmare.
I thought the machine had to be over 30 horsepower to have the DPF?

I'd love to have the bigger or biggest on the block but for what my wife will be doing it would be overkill.

So what kind of discounts on top of kubota incentives can I expect to negotiate? This could make me "trade" up a level if I can justify the $$$.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is my take:
It's safer to have a bigger tractor dealing with rocks.
I would also recommend an L, HST and load the tires with ballast.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Rocks get heavy fast as the size changes. What looks like a small rock can quickly be heavier than the BX25 can lift. Unless you have really tight places to get into, you would be better off with a little heavier tractor.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
We are leaning towards the b2650hsd with the LA534 fel, BH77 bh and the RCK60-30BA MMM deck. We have been quoted $29,500 + tax for the package in Ontario, Canada. Is this what we should expect to pay? How much negotiating room is there in a tractor package of this sort?

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
First off, thx for letting us in on this neat site!!

My wife and I are trying to find her a smaller tractor (hst version) that has both a FEL and Backhoe. Her main purpose is for heavy duty gardening. She's a bit of a rock collector I say, although she won't admit it. She likes the bx25d, but I'm thinking in no time she will outgrow the machines ability to harvest her rocks. She has test drove the bx, b and l series and is ok with all. I'm kind of leaning towards the b2650 or b3350. I have read where it seems there can be issues with the DPF on the 3350's or is this an old issue? What do you experienced members advise for her needs?

Also, on the purchasing side of this, what kind of discount can one negotiate? We have never bought a tractor and would appreciate not being taking for a ride. We are fair and understand the dealer has to make something, but what can we attempt to take off?

We are in Ontario, Canada.

thx in advance.
Plum Crazy,

How much property are you dealing with? What is the size of the garden? Do you have any road maintenance to do or other work. What is your terrain, flat, hilly, wooded, cleared?

Rocks are interesting and yet, a full time implement for a part time need is not a great investment if you can hire that done and then use your tractor year around for some other continual need.

The prices you are quoting can put you into an L3800 easily.

Some good advice has been offered already for you but with more information, you may get even better buying advice.

Burt

Last edited:

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
95 acres, combination of all terrain. My wife doesn't want to go to the larger l series, she would prefer to keep it small but tough. The unit would be multi use, from digging to snow removal to rototilling (possibly 1 acre) to the rock collecting and should be easlily transported to our city home. The b is about as wide as we can go to get the machine to the back without encroaching on the neighbors lawn in the city. Keep in mind I do have the mf135 up there already.

Now on the purchase side of things, I have tried for 2 and a half days to get the dealer up where our property is to give me a quote and I have had no success. 2 conversations, 2.5 days, 2 long distant tel. calls and no quote. It's difficult for us to get there during their hours of operation. In today's age email, texting etc. there shouldn't be this communication problem. I suppose my purchase isn't a big enough fish for them. :rolleyes:

We always try to support the local economy up there but I guess in this case I'm being forced to not support it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Plum......my B2620, fel, 60"mm mower, 2 front work lights , 1 rear worklight, 40A alternator upgrade, rear remote with control valve, 60" Land Pride box blade, 51" Kubota rear snowblower with hydraulic chute rotation and all shop manuals was $25,000 tax in. That's in northern Ontario.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
well, It looks like we will go the bx25d route. To much of a package at an affordable price. I always have the gramdpa mf135 if I need a little oomp.