What kind of chainsaw you have?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've got the MS362 and an MS025(250). They work well together, the older I get the more I like limbing with the small one.

David- - an MS362 will be my next saw if the need arises. My 046 Magnum runs like a champ, but like you, I tend to pick up the little MS211 more as I get older.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmm What kind of chain saw do I have,,,, one that will give you a little kiss when you muck up!!!!!:eek:

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Stihl MS250 here

Has done some pretty big jobs, had some issues when i first got it. Dealer never found a issue, :confused: after the second return brought it home issues cleared up, ran the hell out of it for a whole day, never had an issue since.

Attachments

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I have an Echo blower, two Echo chainsaws (50 and 60 cc), Echo tiller, one Echo trimmer with a steel blade and another Echo PAS280 trimmer (swappable ends - paddles, power pruner, and edge re-definer).

Great equipment, like my Kubotas.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I have a new Stihl MSA200C battery operated saw with the 14" blade. It's been great on our new property trimming small dead branches and cutting up a few dead trees, probably maximum diameter I've cut is 6". I didn't want to deal with gas since after the initial work it will sit a long time, nor a long electrical extension cord. I've usually used it 2-3 hours at a time with breaks between cuts and the AP300 battery will last for that much time.

Attachments

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I have a new Stihl MSA200C battery operated saw with the 14" blade. It's been great on our new property trimming small dead branches and cutting up a few dead trees, probably maximum diameter I've cut is 6". I didn't want to deal with gas since after the initial work it will sit a long time, nor a long electrical extension cord. I've usually used it 2-3 hours at a time with breaks between cuts and the AP300 battery will last for that much time.

I have two Stihl gas saws. A mid-size 270 and a handy top handle saw. They have both been great saws but run them on canned fuel anymore to avoid storage issues. When you need them, you want them to start without any hassles, right?

For around the house, I would sure give the cordless electric units consideration. Really seems that cordless tool battery technology has come a long ways in the last year or so.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
2-3 hours WOW I'm impressed i bet the hours go down on deep live cutting. small and dead branches normally cut like butter.

I have two Stihl gas saws. A mid-size 270 and a handy top handle saw. They have both been great saws but run them on canned fuel anymore to avoid storage issues. When you need them, you want them to start without any hassles, right?

For around the house, I would sure give the cordless electric units consideration. Really seems that cordless tool battery technology has come a long ways in the last year or so.
I think as we go futher along we will see a lot more longer run times and power vs gas.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
2-3 hours WOW I'm impressed i bet the hours go down on deep live cutting. small and dead branches normally cut like butter.

Since our property is in the desert, we don't have any clearing to do. Just cutting down a few dead trees and thinning out the dead wood from other trees we have in the small "Oasis" part of the property we bought. It had been neglected for a lot of years. So the battery operated is perfect for our application. I'm amazed at how much power the saw has. It does have a very thin blade though. The dead trees were hard wood though, not the easiest to cut, but it did great.

Attachments

Last edited:

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I've had a Poulin Pro 18" in the past and in fact still have one. Cut a lot of wood with the first one. But, ever since I bought a Stihl Ranch Boss 271, the Poulin doesn't get used much. There simply is NO comparison. STIHL from now on. in fact, I just recently bought a Stihl pole saw too.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania

Since our property is in the desert, we don't have any clearing to do. Just cutting down a few dead trees and thinning out the dead wood from other trees we have in the small "Oasis" part of the property we bought. It had been neglected for a lot of years. So the battery operated is perfect for our application. I'm amazed at how much power the saw has. It does have a very thin blade though. The dead trees were hard wood though, not the easiest to cut, but it did great.
based on your pic and location when that battery dies it probably means go inside and have a few cold ones and watch the battery charge ;)

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
based on your pic and location when that battery dies it probably means go inside and have a few cold ones and watch the battery charge ;)
That's exactly what we do this time of year! Work from 5-7 am until the shade is gone where we're working, then it's off to the air conditioned house and charge the battery.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A Stihl 361 for primary work, and a 170 for light duty stuff.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
We've been demoing the Dewalt battery saw at work for about a month now. Cutting poles and cross arms. Brand new hard green poles, new creosote poles, old cedar poles, old Douglas fur poles. Its worked pretty well. It's nice that it's quiet and requires no fuel and no warm up.
Over the last week or so, the chain has been coming loose often. Not sure why that's about yet. The 60v batteries last an exceptionally long time. Pretty cool piece. If I was invested in Dewalt tools personally, I'd own one for around the house.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Over the last week or so, the chain has been coming loose often. Not sure why that's about yet.
Sounds to me like the chain needs to be sharpened. Heat causes the stretching, and a dull chain causes the heat.

I bought a Homelite 450 Professional saw back in 1980 and am still using it today for the big jobs (it came with a 36" bar but I changed that to a 24"). That thing has cut untold cords of wood since then and still starts and runs like a champ. Large-capacity fuel and oil tanks so I'm not constantly having to add gas and oil. My go-to saw when I have big and tough cuts to make. A few years ago I added a Stihl MS261 with an 18" bar - much lighter and easier to handle than the Homelite. Then about 3 years ago I was at an estate auction and picked up an Earthquake CS38 saw with 16" bar for next to nothing because they couldn't get it to run. I took it apart and changed all the oil and fuel lines - they were cracked and rotten - and the saw fired right up and has been working great ever since. Not much power but it starts instantly and is very light and easy to handle. Now I use it to do all my trimming and pruning jobs, and carry it on my quad and in my Jeep when I anticipate finding down trees on the trails.

My Homelite has a manual oiler pump in addition to the automatic chain oiler and I wish the newer saws had that. When I'm cutting dead and dry hardwood that chain needs all the oil it can get!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not one of my chainsaws, but I’ve mentioned here about my Stihl FS86 trimmer getting hit by ethanol gas several years ago. Got a FS130 4-cycle to replace it.

Didn’t want to put $100 into a new carburetor on a machine bought in 1991 (at $475) and ran hard for many years .....ran it occasionally last few years, doesn’t run great....but it’s still my favorite!

Found a Walbro WT45A replacement on amazon for $17.....yeah $17.

Hope it works, but if it doesn’t, oh well. Worth a try.....let’s hope it helps.

Just wanted to point out there’s knock-offs for many Stihl carburetors I didn’t know about until last week. Some don’t even have lo-hi idle adjustments or correct placements, but others seem closer to OEM.

Of course, I don’t buy stuff on the internet much......supposed to be delivered Monday. I’ll post back if it works....

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Not one of my chainsaws, but I’ve mentioned here about my Stihl FS86 trimmer getting hit by ethanol gas several years ago. Got a FS130 4-cycle to replace it.

Didn’t want to put $100 into a new carburetor on a machine bought in 1991 (at $475) and ran hard for many years .....ran it occasionally last few years, doesn’t run great....but it’s still my favorite!

Found a Walbro WT45A replacement on amazon for $17.....yeah $17.

Hope it works, but if it doesn’t, oh well. Worth a try.....let’s hope it helps.

Just wanted to point out there’s knock-offs for many Stihl carburetors I didn’t know about until last week. Some don’t even have lo-hi idle adjustments or correct placements, but others seem closer to OEM.

Of course, I don’t buy stuff on the internet much......supposed to be delivered Monday. I’ll post back if it works....

I've had great luck with carbs I ordered off eBay which I believe came from China, identical to the orginal. It was actually cheaper than buying the rebuild kit and cleaning it myself.