What is your day like?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No one should feel compelled to post on this if they are uncomfortable divulging information, but otherwise, I figured it would be a neat way to learn more about each other.
I am 43, and spent most of my life (starting when I was 9) working with my dad in a floor covering business. I worked summers and vacations until graduation, and then went into it full time. Too much of anything gets old, and about 4 years ago, I was ready for a change. I had gotten licensed as a minister in the Mennonite church, and was offered a job as youth pastor and associate pastor. I started this job 3 years ago, working a 1/2 time position. This past fall, I was approved for 3/4 time. As you may be able to imagine, it is 3/4 time pay with full time responsibility. I don't say that as a complaint- I love my job beyond belief. But, I needed to fill in the budget gap. Floor covering is way too involved to do as a 10 hour a week job- would you want me to take 4 weeks to build you a walk in shower? So, I started making replacement stabilizers at home, and selling them. That has worked out pretty well- I can work on study or sermon preparation or class lessons or activity plans as it strikes me, and I can then go down to the barn and work on stabilizers. I still take a small tile job here and there, but that continues to be fazed out, as more stabilizer orders come in.
Interestingly, the stabilizers have become an extension of the youth ministry. A couple of the teenage boys in our church come up and help, to learn welding, metal fabrication, tractor maintenance, etc. Whatever I'm into, they want to be a part of, as time allows. So, we get to spend quality time outside of the church, which is a valuable and important time together. So, I am blessed to be doing work that I love.
Mark

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Stabilizers? Perhaps a little more info is in order.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm 57, retired for two years from a major aerospace company, (was there 36 yrs & 11 days) and trying to catch up on many jobs around the house, cabin, & vehicles, while still trying to enjoy my many hobbies. (shooting, duning, 4 wheeling, metal detecting, antiques, toy robots, machining, traveling, spelunking, gunsmithing, etc., etc., etc.)
I started a machinist training program at 19 & worked in a production machine shop for 10 yrs, then became a research technician/toolmaker for a group that researched various sensor technologies, finishing my career working on fiber optic gyros. I also maintained, repaired, & calibrated fiber optic fusion splicers. I have been privileged to work with some of the finest scientists on the planet. (also some of the biggest potato heads)
During this period, I also became a state certified fire fighter, hazmat first responder, & got a Red Cross first aid/rescue rating, & became the paid captain of the company fire department.
The original company (fantastic) was purchased by a competitor & things went downhill, then years later purchased again, and really went in the dumper. The new management was far more interested in their bonuses than the product, and began squeezing, cutting, downsizing, selling off, & eliminating..... so I got out with my sanity & pension, before they eliminated both.
As a side note, when I left, management said I wouldn't be missed, and has since hired (3) people to take over my work duties.:D
My wife will join me within two years, and I'm hoping to have most of the honeydos, maintenance & upgrade chores taken care of by then. I'm sure we will stay busy.:)
Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well I'm 31 and been truck driving for 10 years and running a landscape/lawncare business on the side. First ever job I ever had was in a small maw-n-paw factory building roof trusses when I was 17, that tore up my back and shoulders at an early age. Left that and my second job, first ever driving job was delievering flowers for a local florist.
I was a volunteer EMT and working the car crashes on the highways I wanted to see what all was involved in getting the demolished cars off the highway. So I hoped into a tow truck and learn the ropes of a wrecker driver. I started off in a rollback and worked my way up threw the ranks in the towing industry and ended up in heavy duty recovery.
Became a certified wrecker driver and was a sought after driver in the area at a very early age, I think my early 20's. I've been in and out of tow truck for 6 or 7 years. I'd get tired of it after a while get out of a tow truck and go find something else to drive for a while. Ultimately ending up driving tractor trailers where I really wanted to be.

Sadly a dumb mistake I made one night back in March has ended my truck driving career for a few years. I royally screwed up and went home after a night out of drinking. I crashed my truck into a tree. No one was harmed and I walked away fine. I ended up doing 5 days in jail and lost my license for a year. I have the chance to get my regular license back with restrictions but I have lost my CDL for a year. And now that I have this DUI conviction on my back most trucking companies wont hire me for atleast 7 years.

SO now the plan is to regroup and see if I can get my landscape business up and running full-time after many failed attempts to do it full-time for a number of years.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Eric, thanks for sharing. It takes a big man to admit his mistakes, and talk about it. Everyone has made mistakes- it's just that some never learn, while others do and become a better person because of it. Glad to see that you aren't wasting the experience.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
In all seriousness I could have probably gotten off on all of it from the start. My brother is a police officer in the area and I could have mentioned his name early on and more then likely got a slap on the wrist and told not to do that again. But I owned up to my responsibilitys and took the punishment I had coming to me. The arresting officer had asked me once I was in handcuffs if I was related to officer with the same last name. I said yeah he's my older brother. The officer looked kinda shocked and didnt understand why I didnt mention my brothers name sooner. I told the arresting officer that I screwed up I made a mistake and I'll own up to my punishment.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
In all seriousness I could have probably gotten off on all of it from the start. My brother is a police officer in the area and I could have mentioned his name early on and more then likely got a slap on the wrist and told not to do that again. But I owned up to my responsibilitys and took the punishment I had coming to me. The arresting officer had asked me once I was in handcuffs if I was related to officer with the same last name. I said yeah he's my older brother. The officer looked kinda shocked and didnt understand why I didnt mention my brothers name sooner. I told the arresting officer that I screwed up I made a mistake and I'll own up to my punishment.
I am impressed, sir.... men who take this level responsibility are a rare breed these days, and the world would be a better place with more like you.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thank you I appreciate it! It's been hell the past 3 month, luckly my mom has been help taking care of me doing what she can do with that little money she makes. Add into the mix a short little red head chick who has my world turned upside down. Its been a rough one for sure lately!

damnnissans

Equipment
B6100DT, Ford 4500 TLB, Too Many Gravely WBHs
Dec 17, 2011
New Windsor, Md
I'm 29 years old. Baltimore county and Carroll county Maryland.

From 14-17, I worked on the family farm (corn and soybeans), chasing ground hogs, cutting thistle, hooking up implements, vehicle and tractor maintance, and learned to drive.

From 17-20, I worked on a local family's Llama farm shoveling, clipping, shearing and chasing goats. Made a couple bucks hauling anything and everything in my 4wd Nissan Pickup.

I ended up cutting the Independent Front Suspension off my Nissan and rockcrawling in MD, PA, VA, WV, TN, KY, and NC. (think half tube chassis tractor with 42" tires)

From 20-27, I worked at the local Ski Resort and Ski Shop tuning, waxing, testing, placing seasonal orders, sales, and chasing snow bunnies. The testing of ski bindings allowed me to discover my enjoyment of measurement and precision.

The manager of the ski shop gave me a lead on full time career at a civil engineering firm as a Survey Crew Instrument Operator. Started at the Wilson T. Ballard Company in January 2007. Best thing I've ever done. In June 2008 began running my own survey crew as Party Chief. This past April I passed exam number 1 of 4 on my way to becoming a Maryland Professional Land Surveyor.

(I don't have time to go into my education history, but hopefully soon I'll be applying to graduate schools for Geographic Information Systems.)

Soooooo- today; it was 100 degrees, I was training a new guy, standing in the middle of an intersection of a state road and a county road with half the traffic making left turns, 8 lanes total, with no lane stripping paint, on fresh black asphault, trying to map the water line, 2 gas lines, 3 sewer lines, 2 storm drain systems, over 30 runs of electric lines, over 15 overhead wires between signal poles and electric poles, a phone line and a cable tv line all while being chased out of the intersection every 30 seconds when traffic became a total cluster fudge. ---And I love it.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I spent so much of my life underground sometimes I feel like Im half mole

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes sir me and mother consol had a go and then I went to the dark side and work for the gubberment

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Just thought I'd bounce this back to the forefront, I found it a really interesting subject and would appreciate hearing from others.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Nissan man: A nice start you have. Now look to what may lie ahead. Running your own Land Surveying company may be in the picture, but check on how much work is out there and competition. Alternatively look to getting more education and a CE degree, preferably also a Master's and even then don't stop there. Run your own company doing consulting civil engineering work. Your background will be invaluable in future work, over and above those that have not been out there doing the field work.

I bold faced a situation above that will bring much satisfaction and good income.

From an 86 year old CE who has been through the whole list and am very happy with the result. You won't regret the effort it takes to do these things. You won't have to skimp on which tractor to get either.

Grandpa W

Equipment
B2320, FEL, 60" deck, 50" blower
Mar 22, 2014
ECHO BAY, Ontario, Canada
What is my day like?

Well this is a good day for me since after working 34 years for the same company I will serve my last day tomorrow and then enter retirement.
Fairly young to retire but we can do it financially so why not?
Plan to spend lots of time working our land, fishing, hunting and touring Canada and the U.S.
The new B2320 and fun attachments will get little rest when we are home.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
What is my day like?
Well this is a good day for me since after working 34 years for the same company I will serve my last day tomorrow and then enter retirement.
Fairly young to retire but we can do it financially so why not?
Plan to spend lots of time working our land, fishing, hunting and touring Canada and the U.S.
The new B2320 and fun attachments will get little rest when we are home.
Wow, good job, you did it in two years less than me! Retirement is great when you're still young enough & healthy enough to enjoy it. If you're like me, you'll wonder how you ever had time to work.