What is/was your Profession?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been a "Edjamacator" for the last 30 years, commercial construction super for 2 and a high school coach in 6 different sports for 46 seasons over the last 30+ years.

After this break we are on ......hell I am looking FORWARD to going back to school, I am getting bored sitting on my .....and too cold to have fun outside!:D:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Someone told me the other day "after all these years you still work with trash"...;)
But at least you can take it out daily:D:) ......sometimes the rest of us are stuck with it for years!:p

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Federal Mine Inspector underground surface electrical spec. 32 years figured I would give the job to some young kid that needed it. And yes I was a PIA !!!
Was a PIA??? Was a PIA:rolleyes: Was a PIA:D WAS A PIA :eek:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Mechanical Engineer in power plants for 37 year. Including time managing maintenance, operations, engineering, and planning departments. Probably like almost everyone else here, I now get to be something different every day. And some days I actually get to be retired and go hunting or fishing.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have been working in the IT field for over 40 years, started on main frame computers and have worked with BASIC Stamps. I do mostly UNIX programming and scripting now.

I did run a log skidder for two and a half years when I was out of work. Also drove a log truck in the woods to move logs from banking area to fields to lay them out for sale.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Project Manager for an Architectural firm for the last 19 years. Trying to phase part of that out in favor of BIM manager for our design software. Tired of working with, funding sources, increasingly restricitve building codes, energy conservation codes, city codes, etc. Not to mention people who think they can build.....

Spent 8 years on city council (town of 1,279) and still on county planning and zoning, a few city boards, regional housing authority(low income housing).

And a thank you to all who did and are currently serving in our military.

Mike

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Process engineer at a med tech company. Started in drug coating. In extrusion now.

snobhill

Equipment
B7500 Tractor, loader, tiller, 3ph mower, blade
Oct 14, 2014
Fort Vermilion, Alberta
Equipment Operator in logging for 20 years, owner/operator log haul for 10 years and now Branch Manager for concrete plant and aggregate sales. Hopefully can keep going for at least another five years if my ticker doesn't act up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
Currently a Branch Manager for a "large" equipment rental company. 11 years with the company this year, started as an intern right out of college. Previously worked as an electrical apprentice and went to voc school for residential/commercial/industrial wiring, still do it on the side from time to time.

I expected to go back to that after college, but ended up moving up the ladder pretty quickly at my company, never thought I'd be here 11 years! Only 33 now, so we'll see what the future brings. I am getting tired of working for a big corporation, but I've earned quite a few benefits that would be hard to give up, especially with two little ones (2yrs and 3wks!!) now!

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
33 years in nuclear energy plant construction and maintenance including civil structural, mechanical, fire protection, abatement/decon, fuel storage, and decommissioning. I've been directing Business Development the past 12 years but prior to that Field Engineering, Project Management, Quality Assurance, Safety, and I just took over my Dads Nuclear Technical Advising/Consulting company which is my weekend hobby but will be my retirement job.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Gee, quite a few firefighters around here.

My first career was in the pipefitting trades. Served with the local VFD in my community on the side. I got more satisfaction from that line, so I pursued it as my second career. Now approaching retirement, I'm a company officer at a busy* station in a large municipal department, holding the reins of a crew of mostly young & enthusiastic (but dedicated) hot shots. Every time I think I've seen it all, somebody comes up with a new twist to throw at us.

In my off time, I fix things. Everything from old motorcycles to old tube radios. Woodwork, metalwork, electronics, sewing -- almost anything required for the project of the moment. I spend some time helping out the local high school robotics club. And I spend a lot of time with my grandsons.

I think spending time with the younger generation helps keep me younger. Except for my knees -- they're starting to show their age :(

* > 4,500 runs/year

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Lots of interesting careers and stories here. I've done everything from landscaping to college admissions. Currently an Appliance Repair Technician with a small company. Plan to stay here as long as possible. Great pay, make my own hours/schedule, and love the job. Retirement? That's a good one. I'm 34 with a mortgage, wife, and 2 young kids. Country is $20T in the hole cash debt and $200T in the hole unfunded liabilities(pensions and such). I will likely die at the age of 90 under a washing machine trying to help my grandkids pay their taxes! Lol

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
Marine engineer for 25+ years then I figured that anybody can drive a boat but it takes a real man to keep it running.
So I studied and wrote my Captains papers and the day I got my Captains ticket I told a friend that all I need now is to find somebody that needs a skipper on a big yacht. Less than 6 months later I get a call asking if I want to run a 110ft. steel yacht - if so there is a paid 2 way ticket at the air port .
I flew down and must have impressed them as they offered me a 200 day a year job running this beauty.
we had a heli on the flight deck to take the heliskiiers to the top of the mountains. During the summer we used the boat as a floating lodge for salmon sports fishers.
I had a chef ,a hostess and two deckhands. Two 8V71 diesels and two gensets to keep me busy. Plus a 400 imperial gallon per day reverse osmosis water maker. Huge hot tube on top deck when we were not moving.
A great job but too long away from my family I did it for 5 years.
Now I pull wrenches in my shop and do the odd repair at the wharf now so much for being retired.
I do miss the pay cheques
cheers
Hank

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Retired from the U.S. Army after 26 years (MP, Infantry, Drill Sgt, NBC NCO and Truck Driver)

With a few years in the hard rock mines in North Idaho thrown in for good measure (Diamond Driller, Motorman and Shaft Repairman (at one time I was suspended by my harness 6200 feet above the bottom of the shaft while standing on a 4 inch timber)). The deepest I have been is 8500 feet below the surface of the earth. I think I can safely say I have been at the elevation of my final resting place.

Yup my neck is shot. My back is shot. My ears are shot. My knees are shot. Sometimes my Wifey-Poo follows me around like the pooper scoopers do in the parades shoveling my body parts in to the wheel barrel for the Dr to fix :eek:

Bunker Buster

Equipment
2015 L2501DT
I've been in the banking/mortgage industry for 26 yrs. I've been on all sides of the mortgage business; processing, underwriting, closing and a real estate appraiser for eight years until the bubble burst. For the last 10 years I've been designing, developing and maintaining all of the training/testing required for processors and underwriters to obtain their signing authority to approve/deny mortgage loans loans.

In my spare time :confused: I do metal fabrication, build hot rods, rock crawlers, race cars, etc... I'm hoping to build my business up enough to support me leaving the corporate world within the next 5+/- years.

For fun we go on rock crawling trips, drag races, or I'm out back fishing or cutting brush and putting my orange to work. :D

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Appear we have all professions covered or at least most of them.

Thanks for all the responses, I was not sure if this would get off the ground but it has done well.

With the vast variety of skills represented here I see now why most every question that is asked gets answered.

Keep them coming!

have a great day OTT.

Jay

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Auto glass distribution center Supervisor, been there 26 yr's. Been a cook, machine operator, sales clerk, etc. I'm tired, really tired...

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
With all the fire fighters and volunteer fighters here,, here's a side note for you. From a survey of over 5,000 people, the most respected and admired occupation is !!! Firefighter!! A politician is near the bottom close to the drug dealer. Any time I'm out to eat and I see firefighters or policemen eating ,, I'll get the waiter to get their ticket and pay it and try not to let them know who did it. My way of saying thanks for a job I couldn't do...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Any time I'm out to eat and I see firefighters or policemen eating ,, I'll get the waiter to get their ticket and pay it and try not to let them know who did it. My way of saying thanks for a job I couldn't do...
Wife and I do the same thing for veterans as well. Especially if they are eating by themselves. :D