What is this wheel doing?

chip812

Equipment
L35
Jul 9, 2013
Alabama
Kubota L35 (right rear)... Been looking like this for as long as I've known this tractor. Sometimes will make popping and cracking sounds... Why is it doing this? Was it abused? Wrong kind of steel used for the wheel? I've never seen anything like this... :confused:

Attachments

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
I would guess the rim will fall off once all cracking goes completely around bolts. Were bolts over tightened or liquid rust the rim outward, just a guess.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Can be brittle iron but usually if a rim was ever ran loose the holes get wobbled out then upon retightening the nuts or mushroomed holes do not seat properly and start the cracking, this is pretty common, I see it on trailer rims a lot. Time for a new rim...........quickly before it falls off and tips you over.

Excessive side loading will cause this as well. Guys who pull goose neck or fifth wheel trailers and jack knife heavy trailers while maneuvering or backing into tight areas and side load the rims more commonly aluminum rims see this quite often.

Last edited:

jerrell

Equipment
tiller, B6200, B6000, 2 bottom turning plow, 5 ft bush hog, frail mower 5 ft,
Jun 23, 2013
beebe, arkansas
a temporary fix is to use a washer to fit the lug and tighten really well, but is only temporary.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Kubota L35 (right rear)... Been looking like this for as long as I've known this tractor. Sometimes will make popping and cracking sounds... Why is it doing this? Was it abused? Wrong kind of steel used for the wheel? I've never seen anything like this... :confused:
Hi, the reason the rim is cracked is probably because it wasn't torqued properly when it was installed. You might be able to take it to a rim repair shop for an estimate or just get a new one. Before you install the new rim replace all the studs and nuts, be sure the mounting surface (brake drum surface) is free of rust or other imperfections and that the surface is flat. It wouldn't hurt to use a little never seize on the threads, try not to get it on the rim and nut tapers as it will give you an improper torque reading and you will proably over tighten it. Hope this helps Barry

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
i agree it was loose at some point, now it needs to be junked or repaired.
I had one that wouldn't tighten due to the hole being worn and the nut bottomed out before the taper of the nut would contact the wheel, i was able to find some larger nuts and grind off some of the taper to make them work.

chip812

Equipment
L35
Jul 9, 2013
Alabama
Just lovely... I also noticed that this wheel doesn't look exactly like the wheel on the other side... No idea which one is "supposed" to be the correct one for an L35. Could be either or both... I guess I can call my parts guy and see how much for a new wheel and dis-mount/re-mount the tire... dang it! :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are several online sources that sell wheels for fairly inexpensive prices.
What size tire / rim combination does it have?

I would also suggest that you change the lug bolts / Nuts at the same time, they look to either be wrong style for that rim or heavily worn.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would peel/sand/grind back some of the paint near those cracks, and I think you will have your answer. That's a spooky looking wheel in my book, and the possibilities are not pretty.

Is a L35 a TLB? Using the 'hoe to reposition the tractor can put lateral force on the wheel if not picked off the ground, or using the hoe without stabilizers down firmly when digging to an uphill, or preferred side? If that side is not the OEM wheel, maybe it was done to two wheels over the years? Just a theory.

As always, these OTT guys have some great advice (present company excepted - I'm the new guy).