What is the best engine oil?

Shipwreck

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 Loader, Bradco Grapple Bucket, AE Brush hog, AE Box Blade, Rake
Dec 17, 2019
St Clair MI
I have a 2002 L3010 and a 2020 L3560. It’s time to change the oil in the L3010. I know I’ve seen this topic discussed before but I’m having trouble finding it. What is the very best oil to use for both machines?

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Not this SM and SN rated junk sold for modern cars and trucks.
Go retro and get some SH or SJ rated oil for non emissions controlled toys.
The old spec oils have around 2 to 2.5 times as much anti wear additives and around twice the detergent disbursant as SM oil. I haven't even compared the newest rating SN to the old oil specs but I bet there's even less of the good stuff in there.
Why would the government require ever decreasing additives in oils? Why to make catalytic converters last longer in emissions controlled vehicles.
Just because something is newer doesn't mean it's always better.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I have a 2002 L3010 and a 2020 L3560. It***8217;s time to change the oil in the L3010. I know I***8217;ve seen this topic discussed before but I***8217;m having trouble finding it. What is the very best oil to use for both machines?
I was just in the same boat as you, doing my first maintenance on my new Kubota. I live in a rural area around a lot of farmers and big tractor owners, So I asked around, and I done a lot of online reading and reasearch. I wanted to also use the absolute best product - price was of no concern, only quality. What I found is that by far the highest and most numerous recommendations were for Shell Rotella T6 Fully Synthetic. Being in Florida, I went with 15W-40. Just look at the bottle good, make sure it is for Diesel engines whatever you buy. Gas engine oil and diesel engine oil are different. Also note that if you go for the shell rotella T6, make sure you dont confuse it with the Rotella T5, which is a slightly cheaper option (still very good oil) but is a synthetic blended oil. T6 is the high dollar, fully synthetic option. Its about $20 - $25 per gallon.

You could also of course go with Kubota's own branded oil and I know many people who do that, especially on the first maintenance. They want to be able to say, if something goes wrong, that they used all kubota products and show them the receipt. When you start picking peoples brains about questions like this you hear all kinds of stuff. My thorough reading and research though suggested a clear winner, and its what I recommend here.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I run Shell Rotella T6 in all my diesel engines. I would even dare say that the second L245 I bought and fixed up sounds quieter with the Rotella.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
What is the best I don't know and will vary from person to person.

I use Amsoil in many of my motors and only their grease now that I have tried it.

In my L4600 I run the Rotella T6 and change it every 2 years or about 100 hours.

Good luck and many different opinions will come along.

Jay

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
That's like asking what is better between Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. - it's pretty much pure personal opinion and preference.

I'm a Royal Purple fan myself, have used it in everything I own for decades with great success and zero issues. Some folks like Amzoil, which is another extremely high quality lubricant.

Rotella works, Delo works, hell Golden State bottom of the barrel oil from Autozone works too - as long as you maintain your change intervals and keep levels where they should be, all of them will work. Some are better grades, better chemistry, have better detergents and additives than others. IMO, full synthetic is superior to conventional and is worth the price.

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
Rotella T5. No matter what you end up using just make sure its for diesel engines.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
You can't go wrong with Rotella T6. You can find it at Walmart at a reasonable price.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I run Shell Rotella T6 in all my diesel engines. I would even dare say that the second L245 I bought and fixed up sounds quieter with the Rotella.
I run Rotella T6 in just about everything I own, including my 09 Goldwing. Quieter? Absolutely... gears don't slam together after 200 miles of riding. Kubota cranks just fine when it's 10 degrees outside.
IMHO, I don't believe there's a better oil for the money.
Test results>>> https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Rotella is good oil. It's better than some and easy to find but you didn't ask for cheap or easy, you ask for the best.

To honestly answer your question. The best oil on the market is Amsoil. Lots of opinions on the subject but most have never tried anything that Walmart doesn't sell so I find it hard to believe that information is accurate.

I personally use the Amsoil series 3000 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil.

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I use T6 in my Kubota diesels. 5W40 in my RTV and L3830 because they are used year round in all temps. I use 15W40 in my ZD 326 mower for summer use. The most important lesson is keep it changed with a good quality oil of the right classification and use high quality filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
All I know is Rotella, Petro Canada Duron and Chevron Delo have provided better oil samples from Cat's SOS program than all the others I have tried in my big diesels.

And Petro Canada I found best for my antique tractor engines because it is higher in zinc than Rotella.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Rotella is good oil. It's better than some and easy to find but you didn't ask for cheap or easy, you ask for the best.

To honestly answer your question. The best oil on the market is Amsoil. Lots of opinions on the subject but most have never tried anything that Walmart doesn't sell so I find it hard to believe that information is accurate.

I personally use the Amsoil series 3000 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil.
+1. I am not sure about Rotella, but Amsoil publishes performance tests and white papers on their website. I also personally run series 3000 5W30 in my diesel with a dual bypass filter setup. I change the filters and send a sample in for analysis yearly. End result is that I have not had to change my oil in over 15 years. There are really only two things that can happen to oil It can either get dirty or break down or both. The dual bypass keeps it clean and as long as the oil doesn't breakdown, no need to change it.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
All I know is Rotella, Petro Canada Duron and Chevron Delo have provided better oil samples from Cat's SOS program than all the others I have tried in my big diesels.

And Petro Canada I found best for my antique tractor engines because it is higher in zinc than Rotella.
Any SH or SG rated "motorcycle" or "marine" oil is going to be easy to find and be loaded with anti wear additives and detergent compared to new rotella.