What Grading Attachments do I need ???

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I need to start looking for attachments for my B7100. I have a construction project starting up which when finished, will involve a lot of grading and landscaping. I will also be digging drainage ditches for gutter drywells.

Currently, B7100 is equipped with the B219 loader & ARPS 70 Backhoe.

Need advise as to which attachments would work best for my task, and what size of the attachments would be appropriate for a B7100 size tractor.

I have already ordered a BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar. I'm thinking I will need a Box Blade and a York Rake. I'm wondering what those in the know & have done this type of work would suggest.

Thanks... Dan

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Landscaping screams box blade. Grading can be done with various implements including a box blade. You also have open adjustable rear blades and land planes (used mostly on roads but can do some finish grading work). Box blades can also do ditches and the like but you already have a back hoe so any deep ditches will be handled best with that and your loader.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I would suggest, in addition to a box blade, buy a combo middle buster/subsoiler. They are cheap, and can really loosen up tight ground, prior to grading work. The middle buster also can start a ditch, in soil loosened up by the subsoiler...:D

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Dan,

You're going to love the toothbar. With that and a box blade you can accomplish a lot. Adding the rake, I think you're all set. I've been working on a big grading project, trying to get nice smooth lawn where before was rutted and impossible to mow nice, and I am using the same tools that you're thinking about. I have one large area that I might rent a power rake to save me some time, but everything else is box blade and loader for the most part. The box blade has a learning curve, but seat time is fun, right?

Jerry

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Landscape / York Rake
Box blade.
Angle blade is also good for getting some things done.
I also use my spring tooth harrow a lot

Calman93611

Equipment
Kubota B7100 w/FEL & BH, Kubota B7100 w/FEL and box scraper, Kubota K008,
Mar 8, 2015
Clovis, CA
Landscape / York Rake
Box blade.
Angle blade is also good for getting some things done.
I also use my spring tooth harrow a lot
I use a box scraper w/rippers to get my rough grade then switch over to a large ( 8') angle blade to get semi-finished grade, then turn the angle blade 180 degrees to get a finish grade. I have used this method on landscape projects up to 1/2 acre. Of course the larger the area the easier it is with an angle blade. Smaller areas are best done with a box scraper and perhaps finish grade with a landscape rake. Just depends on the size of your project and the soil conditions. I also have a B7100 with FEL/BH and another one with FEL and box scraper. I ended up with both because I got tired to taking the BH on/off.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Agree completely with previous poster CalMan.

I think you'll find over time that swapping out the backhoe will become your greatest headache (read PiA).

Same as CalMan we now have two machines so the backhoe remains mounted on one all the time.

You'll find that no matter what's on the tractor, it'll be the wrong implement for the job at hand.

My suggestion would be to leave the backhoe mounted and use a toothbar for everything else.

Another factor: does your machine have the complete 3-point hook-up assembly already onboard? Even with the backhoe mounted?

The process of dropping the backhoe AND reinstalling the 3-point each time and THEN removing the 3-point to remount the backhoe will add considerably to the time spent fiddling with pieces-parts instead of accomplishing anything useful. Trust me, the voice of experience(s).

Please post back YOUR experiences so we may all learn.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
I need to start looking for attachments for my B7100. I have a construction project starting up which when finished, will involve a lot of grading and landscaping. I will also be digging drainage ditches for gutter drywells.

Currently, B7100 is equipped with the B219 loader & ARPS 70 Backhoe.

Need advise as to which attachments would work best for my task, and what size of the attachments would be appropriate for a B7100 size tractor.

I have already ordered a BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar. I'm thinking I will need a Box Blade and a York Rake. I'm wondering what those in the know & have done this type of work would suggest.

Thanks... Dan
Dan,

I agree with all the posts regarding Box blade. Plus the middle scraper for loosening the boogers.

There are some great you tubes on box blade use for learning. The best is personal experience though. Be sure to level and adjust on level ground at first.

Burt

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
thanks guys for the input... Just what I was thinking.

What would be the proper size (width) for a box blade and a york rake to fit my B7100 ?

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Dan,
I don't know how wide the 7100 is. I use a six foot rake behind my BX-25D. It works great. My box blade is a five footer, which is too much for the BX with the rippers down, but I wanted it to extend beyond the rear tires for grading around my pond. If I need the rippers I put the box blade on my bigger Ford tractor. Otherwise, a four footer would fit the BX just fine. I think the Kubota just under four feet wide, maybe 44 inches. With the rippers up it handles it well, and it let me grade right up to the water's edge. It also does well touching up the driveway. I wouldn't recommend going much bigger than the rear wheels of your tractor with a box blade. Extra wide is needed with a rake so that you can angle it, and still cover your wheel width.

Jerry

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Not meaning to hijack this thread...

Looking in the manual for my B2601, it says a max box blade scraper size of 54"; the dealer tells me to go 60". So I'm also curious about sizing of these implements.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks Jerry. That info really helps.

I will have to measure my rear tire width. My front bucket is 48" but I changed over to R4 tires and believe that they hang out about 2" to 3" beyond the bucket on each side now. Maybe 54" overall width, but will verify actual width this weekend.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Dan,
I don't know how wide the 7100 is. I use a six foot rake behind my BX-25D. It works great. My box blade is a five footer, which is too much for the BX with the rippers down, but I wanted it to extend beyond the rear tires for grading around my pond. If I need the rippers I put the box blade on my bigger Ford tractor. Otherwise, a four footer would fit the BX just fine. I think the Kubota just under four feet wide, maybe 44 inches. With the rippers up it handles it well, and it let me grade right up to the water's edge. It also does well touching up the driveway. I wouldn't recommend going much bigger than the rear wheels of your tractor with a box blade. Extra wide is needed with a rake so that you can angle it, and still cover your wheel width.

Jerry
I have my tires set at their widest setting available which is 48". I just located a new 48" box blade which is USA made by Tarter. Would like to pick it up, but checking back here first. Do you think it is too narrow for the B7100 (16 HP). Seeing posts that it could be a issue with the rippers down I am leaning toward the 48" model vs. the 60" version.

Heck, I was very surprised to find the the 48" version is in the Kubota Orange vs. the 60" which is in equipment Yellow color. I wonder if that is a sign on which size to get ??? :D

http://tarterusa.com/tarter-products/4-box-blade-sub-compact/

Last edited: