What do you ride, and whats the last thing you did to it?

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I'm looking at some stuff....

91 Mustang 5.0, auto, convertible. I can get it for $1700, been sitting up and will need a tank, fuel pump and a GOOD cleaning.

Also neighbor guy is trying to sell his 2008 Kawasaki Teryx 750. Not sure I want it but if I can get the price down, might be worth it to "flip".

Then of course there's some other stuff out there too, just messaged a guy who's got a 2014 Polaris Ranger 800 with engine trouble. I have several of those engines available to play with. Gotta get it cheap though. We are working on that. GF might actually ride the Ranger. She won't ride the Teryx at all, don't like it for some reason.

If I was buying a bike today I'd buy a Yamaha MT-07. But I ain't buying one, so I'll stick with my Zuma.
I'm looking at some stuff....

91 Mustang 5.0, auto, convertible. I can get it for $1700, been sitting up and will need a tank, fuel pump and a GOOD cleaning.

Also neighbor guy is trying to sell his 2008 Kawasaki Teryx 750. Not sure I want it but if I can get the price down, might be worth it to "flip".

Then of course there's some other stuff out there too, just messaged a guy who's got a 2014 Polaris Ranger 800 with engine trouble. I have several of those engines available to play with. Gotta get it cheap though. We are working on that. GF might actually ride the Ranger. She won't ride the Teryx at all, don't like it for some reason.

If I was buying a bike today I'd buy a Yamaha MT-07. But I ain't buying one, so I'll stick with my Zuma.
Curious why do you have Polaris 800 cc engines ? I have a RangerXp 800 Efi no issues. Side by side. Something i should know ? Lol 😆

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Curious why do you have Polaris 800 cc engines ? I have a RangerXp 800 Efi no issues. Side by side. Something i should know ? Lol 😆

yeah people tend to not check fluids. The 800's are aging, and with age and use comes oil usage. They'll begin to use oil, people don't check it, they run out of or low on oil and then tears up the engine. That's why I have a bunch of them. Camshafts and lifters especially, real common for them to fail on the 800's because of lack of maintenance (and the change in engine oils). They are flat tappet pushrod engines and we all know how that doesn't play well with modern fluids.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
yeah people tend to not check fluids. The 800's are aging, and with age and use comes oil usage. They'll begin to use oil, people don't check it, they run out of or low on oil and then tears up the engine. That's why I have a bunch of them. Camshafts and lifters especially, real common for them to fail on the 800's because of lack of maintenance (and the change in engine oils). They are flat tappet pushrod engines and we all know how that doesn't play well with modern fluids.
Thanks i do check mine. Low hours still just using around here. Did not know about flat tappet lifters. Thats odd. I do all fluids 1 time a year.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thanks i do check mine. Low hours still just using around here. Did not know about flat tappet lifters. Thats odd. I do all fluids 1 time a year.
run some ZDDP additive and they'll last long time. Normally they start making noise before they quit. Another issue on the 700/800 is that the oil pressure relief valve will sometimes stick. Open or closed. If open, the lifters start clacking and if you keep running it, it'll hurt the crank/rods and the cam, lifters, and block. If sticking closed, the oil pump will generate a couple hundred psi and the lifters pump up and hold the valves open, and it'll just quit running or won't start-due to lack of compression.

Kind of a cool little engine. RZR's had them too, a little different cam and different ECU for the timing and fuel control, thus a little more power.

If you have a crew 800 Ranger, yank the hose off of the throttle body and jerk the restrictor out. They didn't all have them but a bunch did.

Reactions: 1 user