What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

cptbarkey

Equipment
BX2350
Nov 19, 2023
Central TX
More progress today, confirmed one of the safety switches is bad, now just a matter of which one. Engine turns over and sounds like it has good compression, used a remote starter switch. My initial guess as to what is really wrong was confirmed as well when I removed the fuel line after the first filter and diesel barely dribbled out. The seller complained it was bogging badly.

I drained about 2.5 gallons after disconnecting the other side of the filter. It was fascinating to see the water contamination bubbles. I am putting a new filter and pump on tomorrow. Getting excited!

View attachment 117654
View attachment 117655
Hi, been awhile without updates. I condemned the D902 engine, cylinder 3 had some pretty bad gouging and it would not chooch. I found a D722 a few hours away with 500 hours, and after some months its now installed and running great. I would not recommend such an attempt unless you have patience, welding skills, and more patience. The motor mounts had to be cut and rewelded, the radiator fan, shroud sits a bit too high so more cutting was necessary. The D722 oil pan also didnt fit, but after trimming the cross member it now fits. Happy times ahead with a BX2350 neutered to a BX1850. Learned a boatload along the way. Next up is the Toyota Matrix will get a new engine, but who cares about Toyotas on this forum? :)

1709839160261.png

Reactions: 9 users

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Blowing snow, backed into a berm left by the local plow. All 4 tires spinning. #$%@. Tried using backhoe (left on for ballast) to boom my way out, but the dipper wouldn't dipper. Lever on control station just floppy. #$%@ again. Finally got it unstuck, and moved to the (unheated) garage. Found the bolt connecting the Dipper lever to the valve had come undone. But the nut was still laying inside the enclosure, so re-attached the nut, and everything was good with the world again.

Reactions: 4 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Those with grapples and SSQA.... please learn from my mistakes.

Under heavy loads the locking pins "bounce" a bit, to help eliminate the bad design by Kubota, add a second nut above that spring, I will provide you a picture later, to further explain. Grapple work is notorious for also bumping/knocking the lock lever arms because of wooded stabs or roots pushing through the grapple towards to SSQA. My grapple now has 3/8" heavy plate to prevent debris reaching the locking arms. Additionally, you can also secure the locking levers with some heavy duty zip ties, rated at 150lbs break strength or more.
Adding a 2nd nut on top, helps eliminate some of the pin slop.
20240307_141013.jpg

Closer look, at me nuts! LOL
20240307_141029.jpg

Even with heavy wire mesh, and added plate to grapple, I still managed to get a stab pushed through the cheap grill plastic.

20240307_141053.jpg

20240307_141041.jpg

20240307_141157.jpg

20240307_141138.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Hi, been awhile without updates. I condemned the D902 engine, cylinder 3 had some pretty bad gouging and it would not chooch. I found a D722 a few hours away with 500 hours, and after some months its now installed and running great. I would not recommend such an attempt unless you have patience, welding skills, and more patience. The motor mounts had to be cut and rewelded, the radiator fan, shroud sits a bit too high so more cutting was necessary. The D722 oil pan also didnt fit, but after trimming the cross member it now fits. Happy times ahead with a BX2350 neutered to a BX1850. Learned a boatload along the way. Next up is the Toyota Matrix will get a new engine, but who cares about Toyotas on this forum? :)

View attachment 123804
But, Ku bo ta is the To yo ta in the Tractor world....

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not much today, but a little bit. Drove most of the trails with the Mule this afternoon mostly just checking for any issues after the last rain/wind. Couple of minor obstructions moved by hand and one moved with the little 3500lb winch on the Mule. After having spent a little time with the Farmi, wife and I both said almost in concert how slow the electric winch seemed.

After running across a couple more issues, had enough of messing around with the wrong tools. Wife went home to do I’m not sure what. I returned with the grapple and Farmi. A little more involved than lowering the grapple and bulldozing the trail clear, but not by much.
IMG_2011.jpeg

The only real reason for the below pic is as I was coming back to the house, I got to this little uphill section and thought about some of the discussions here about tractor sizes. Yes, there is actually a trail there. The rear wheels on the L are at their next to widest position. If they were moved to their widest position I’d have to cut about a dozen trees to get home from where I took this picture and it isn’t very far away. We have a couple miles of trails like this. Some places are open enough for a ten wheel dump truck, but there quite a few stretches like this. They’re good for walking, ATV, or UTV. They’re passable for the L and nothing larger would fit. I suppose we could turn them into more substantial roads but we kind of like them the way they are.

IMG_2015.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

hoot owl

Equipment
L2501 with loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2022
No pictures but I have been busey. I pulled out about 100' of woven and barb wire fence, moved 3 steal hive stands and made 2 new locations for hives. Yesterday I went to help a friend (83) set up a new band saw. 200lb from Grizzly. I then headed towards home and stopped at a nabors. The power co. had replaced a bunch of polls last year and just left them lay on the ground. They said I could have them with permission from landowners. I loaded up 6 polls on my trailer, from 50' to 40'.It was all the 2501 could do to lift 3 of them. Drove home about 2 miles with a swaying truck because of too much weight on the back of the trailer. I pulled them off with a chain around a big red oak. Then went back for the tractor.
This summer they will become a open front 12 x 50 shed for the tractor and trailers.
I get working and don't even think about pictures. I may have one more to move so I will try to remember then.

Reactions: 2 users

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA

View attachment 123804
You know the Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe are basically the same car as far as parts go? They were made on the same assembly lines at the NUMMI plant in San Fransisco. You may be able to find parts you need by sourcing from Pontiac or salvage yard Vibes.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Used the LX3310 to blow some heavy, wet snow. I'm ready for spring...

Reactions: 1 user

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Resurected my b8200 after 3 years. need it for grading. and getting ready for plowing.

Going to do oil changes and filter changes tomorrow.

Reactions: 6 users

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Adding a 2nd nut on top, helps eliminate some of the pin slop.
View attachment 123811

Closer look, at me nuts! LOL
View attachment 123812

Even with heavy wire mesh, and added plate to grapple, I still managed to get a stab pushed through the cheap grill plastic.

View attachment 123813

View attachment 123814

View attachment 123815

View attachment 123816

I had some slash push up one one the SSQA lever arms and one side of the grapple came off. I made a couple clamps that hold the levers closed. Long bolts that pass thru existing holes. The pictures show locking nuts but I changed them to regular nuts and I put a hole in the bolt and use a pin to retain the nut. That way I don't need a wrench to switch implements.

P1170017.JPG

P1170027.JPG

P1170031.JPG

gg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had some slash push up one one the SSQA lever arms and one side of the grapple came off. I made a couple clamps that hold the levers closed. Long bolts that pass thru existing holes. The pictures show locking nuts but I changed them to regular nuts and I put a hole in the bolt and use a pin to retain it. That way I don't need a wrench to switch implements.

View attachment 123918

View attachment 123919

View attachment 123920

gg
You guys have got me wondering.....
I have hydraulically operated bucket locking.
I don't think my bucket locks can come undone, while the tractor is running, because the little hyd. bucket locking cylinder is holding pressure on the locks.
I really dunno....
I will need to check that out.
BTW......I LOVE hyd. bucket locking,.....no need to dismount, for lock/unlock.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I had some slash push up one one the SSQA lever arms and one side of the grapple came off. I made a couple clamps that hold the levers closed. Long bolts that pass thru existing holes. The pictures show locking nuts but I changed them to regular nuts and I put a hole in the bolt and use a pin to retain it. That way I don't need a wrench to switch implements.

View attachment 123918

View attachment 123919

View attachment 123920

gg
Nice fix.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
You guys have got me wondering.....
I have hydraulically operated bucket locking.
I don't think my bucket locks can come undone, while the tractor is running, because the little hyd. bucket locking cylinder is holding pressure on the locks.
I really dunno....
I will need to check that out.
BTW......I LOVE hyd. bucket locking,.....no need to dismount, for lock/unlock.
The only problem with the hydaulic, if the line gets snagged/damage by debris going through an front attachment like a grapple.
I destroyed a few on some rental equipment, I have since added heavy plate to my tree grubber and grapple, had no issue damaging the line on my own SVL with the hydraulic QA. Knock on wood!

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Get some 6010 ++++ rod. Metal doesn't have to be clean. Fast freeze. I've used it for 20 years of installing/repairing pipe fence and it's the cat's meow.

If you was up visiting your sister I'd give you a few pounds to try!

When I bought my 1st welding machine, I bought some 7018 rod, .035 mig wire, & .035 flux core mig wire. I had some trouble learning to stick weld (just my technique I think). It was suggested that I try 6010 or 6011. I switched the machine to mig & was able to get some good welds pretty quick. I use the flux core wire on the farm (I didn’t want to haul a gas bottle around). I need to revisit the stick welding & get my issues resolved. I haven’t taken the time to do that (yet).
I’m a machinist. I was never formally trained as a welder. I did work around some very good welders. I always heard welding was 80% preparation & 20% welding. Get the metal clean & fitting properly, the welding will be much easier & better.
I know there are other ways to get a good weld & I will explore them. I’m an old dog, but I like new tricks.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Excellent job on coping the pipe to fit. Did you eye ball it or do you have a template? I'll be doing lots of coping on my barn build this spring. All steel pipe uprights and trusses. @D2Cat mentioned E6010 but personally I prefer E6011. I spent years working as a welder and 6011/7018 were what I burned 99.9% of the time.
Thanks. The 1st cut on the ends of the brace is ~22.5 degrees. I have a jig for that & use a hand held grinder with a cut-off wheel in the field. The actual length of the brace varies a little, preventing me from making the braces in the shop. (& the “shop” is not built yet) I have a small 6”piece of the pipe that I use to check the fit, while grinding the proper cope.
I’m a machinist. The welders I worked around always preached, “clean, well fitting metal, will make the welding easier, better., stronger.” I know the cows don’t care, but I gotta be me.
I have been using my mig machine because I learned that process pretty quick. MiG welding outdoors works well using the flux core wire. I don’t have to haul a gas bottle around. I do have some pretty interesting places to fence. I plan to try using the 6010 or 6011 to see if I can get good welds. I know the stick welding process, I’m just not very good at it (yet).
Good luck with your building. I am impressed by your welding skills & hope I can someday, lay a bead that looks & function as good as yours.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Adding a fuel storage tank to the bed of my F250 recently got me rethinking the pros and cons of toppers. I bought the truck from a friend and it came with a Snugtop. Today I decided that I'd rather not have it on the truck anymore and will likely sell it. The overpriced Land Pride pallet forks came in handy once I'd modified a pallet.

Had I taken the photo 10 minutes earlier you would be able to see a thick, dark plume of smoke going straight up to the left of the mountain. Sadly someone lost their house this afternoon. I hope that it was empty.

mx6000_snugtop.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks. The 1st cut on the ends of the brace is ~22.5 degrees. I have a jig for that & use a hand held grinder with a cut-off wheel in the field. The actual length of the brace varies a little, preventing me from making the braces in the shop. (& the “shop” is not built yet) I have a small 6”piece of the pipe that I use to check the fit, while grinding the proper cope.
I’m a machinist. The welders I worked around always preached, “clean, well fitting metal, will make the welding easier, better., stronger.” I know the cows don’t care, but I gotta be me.
I have been using my mig machine because I learned that process pretty quick. MiG welding outdoors works well using the flux core wire. I don’t have to haul a gas bottle around. I do have some pretty interesting places to fence. I plan to try using the 6010 or 6011 to see if I can get good welds. I know the stick welding process, I’m just not very good at it (yet).
Good luck with your building. I am impressed by your welding skills & hope I can someday, lay a bead that looks & function as good as yours.
I was thinking about ordering a couple of sets of these.

Thanks for the kind words re welding. I used to be a really good welder passing the ASME 5G pipe test and many others. I would frequently be asked for by name at the shipyard when some vessels came in for repairs. Those days are long behind me but I still enjoy welding.

A good fit up as you have there definitely helps with the welding process. A lot of new welders or inexperienced welders don't focus on the puddle and that's really what you're trying to control whether it's flat, vertical, overhead or all three as in a horizontal pipe weld (5G).

Reactions: 1 users