What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I put in my second hour of time on my new bush hog for the KX-057-4. There is a learning curve to this that I wasn't expecting. You can see how slow I am. But nothing like my first hour - LOL.

Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
598C4162-772C-4F3B-8BC9-7AAA5D9EB24A.jpeg

Finally dry enough to get some mowing done in the back this morning, going to try to get the second corn plot planted this afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
This weekend is the last chance I have to go get my camper (travel trailer, 25') before I want to use it in 3 weeks. I didn't have anywhere to park it, so I had to get the tractor out and move 18" of dense, wet snow. It's really looking like a muddy mess right now, but I'm hoping over the next week it'll melt and mostly dry out enough to park there.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Overhauled my 60" mower deck; pressure washed, painted (spray) any areas that were down to bare metal, new belt, new blades, gear oil change, lubed all zerks, and lubed the pto shaft - crazy that all of this needed to be done on a 4 year old tractor with less than 100 hours, but the previous owner didn't seem to take care of these things.

Question; the gear oil looked very clean until the last 1/3 or so came out, which was quite dirty looking, is that pretty typical, or is that a sign of a potential issue? I stuck a magnet in it to make sure it wasn't metal flakes, and the magnet returned with nothing other than gear oil, but wanted to see if this was normal?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
My daughter bought a lemon tree and lime bush. Had to fine a place to put them so we expanded a flower bed with full sun. Gave me an excuse to use the new tiller again.
bed1.jpg
bed2.jpg
bed3.jpg
bed4.jpg
bed5.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Overhauled my 60" mower deck; pressure washed, painted (spray) any areas that were down to bare metal, new belt, new blades, gear oil change, lubed all zerks, and lubed the pto shaft - crazy that all of this needed to be done on a 4 year old tractor with less than 100 hours, but the previous owner didn't seem to take care of these things.

Question; the gear oil looked very clean until the last 1/3 or so came out, which was quite dirty looking, is that pretty typical, or is that a sign of a potential issue? I stuck a magnet in it to make sure it wasn't metal flakes, and the magnet returned with nothing other than gear oil, but wanted to see if this was normal?
If you haven’t run it lately then the heavier dirt had a chance to settle out. Are you able to get a look inside the case? A couple ways to tackle it if it bothers you. Fill it and forget it till the next service, fill it and run it till hot. Now drain and refill. Should get most if not all that dirt in suspension. Lastly, get a couple cans of brake cleaner and go to to town and hose out what you can. Once happy or delirious from the fumes, let it dry and fill with oil. Personally on my mmm and brush hog gear boxes, I change the oil on them when warm from operation. If it is just dirty and not metal flake filled, I would not be that concerned.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I got filters and S-UDT for the upcoming 50-hour service (so far, the BX only has 41 hours in almost 5 years... Can't wait to retire and finally start putting it to regular use!).

Before anyone asks: it has received two intermediate engine oil changes during that time.

IMG_20230403_204204.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
If you haven’t run it lately then the heavier dirt had a chance to settle out. Are you able to get a look inside the case? A couple ways to tackle it if it bothers you. Fill it and forget it till the next service, fill it and run it till hot. Now drain and refill. Should get most if not all that dirt in suspension. Lastly, get a couple cans of brake cleaner and go to to town and hose out what you can. Once happy or delirious from the fumes, let it dry and fill with oil. Personally on my mmm and brush hog gear boxes, I change the oil on them when warm from operation. If it is just dirty and not metal flake filled, I would not be that concerned.
I've yet to even hook it up to the tractor, which I purchased in November and was in snow mode (rear snowblower attached), so it's likely sat since mid-October (or before) since being run. I wasn't sure if some dirty looking gear oil was 'normal' or if it could be a seal going bad? Given the shape they had the mower deck in, I'm guessing it is just residual from all the dirt and rocks they were mowing (given how the blades looked).

I did have the thought of changing it while warm (gear oil), sounds like I'll do that at the end of the season, unless the mower decides to stop working - hopefully that won't be the case, given the deck has maybe 50-60 hours on it.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Picked up the front end of my Husqvarna rider (again) with the LX2610SU. I completely rebuilt the cutting deck for the Husqvarna yesterday, and proceeded to break one of the new arbors today. I think I over tightened the pully nut which loads the bearings, which ultimately led to the failure. Today, I cut some 'rough' area behind the house, one notch down from fully raised. Lotsa leaves and junk from the winter dumpage. I just wanted to mulch the leaves a little and cut down the tall weeds for the first time this year, as well as make sure none of the poison ivy starts getting a foothold again. Found a rather large pine stump that I'd forgotten about, and thought I'd cut low enough to miss. The spindle shaft snapped off just below the nut, which generally means stress cracks in the threads. New arbors had grease fittings, as well as a ball bearing with a separate seal at the bottom, and I pumped both full of grease yesterday when I installed them, so I was pretty confident they'd last a long time. Not so, especially when mowing deck meets pine stump that's hidden in the deadfall. Had another spindle shaft from the old arbors, and was gonna just swap out the spindle shaft, but turns out the bearing is pressed on the bottom end a bit too tight for me to remove it without a press. One of the few must-have tools I don't have in my shop, of course. That didn't bode well for the new arbor. As I said, broke the spindle shaft below the nut, and stripped the teeth outta the pulley on the splines. Heard some new noises, so went back to the shop to check it out. So, despite the addition of zerks and greased lower bearings being a good thing, I managed to destroy a day-old arbor that had cut my yard exactly ONCE. Bugger. Put the best sounding and feeling of the old ones back in, then went back to cut. 5 minutes later, I found a root, and turned one end of a brand new blade down (also installed yesterday), which turned my mowing deck into a horizontal high speed roto tiller. Back to the shed for a blade replacement. Put the sharpest of the two I took off, and decided I should probably be a little more alert and observant. Actually, was wishing I'd let the rain overrule me and not even gone outside today. Some days, it's best to just stay inside.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've yet to even hook it up to the tractor, which I purchased in November and was in snow mode (rear snowblower attached), so it's likely sat since mid-October (or before) since being run. I wasn't sure if some dirty looking gear oil was 'normal' or if it could be a seal going bad? Given the shape they had the mower deck in, I'm guessing it is just residual from all the dirt and rocks they were mowing (given how the blades looked).

I did have the thought of changing it while warm (gear oil), sounds like I'll do that at the end of the season, unless the mower decides to stop working - hopefully that won't be the case, given the deck has maybe 50-60 hours on it.
Check around your seals to make sure it isn’t leaking. Did you happen to notice when you pulled the fill plug if the oil was up to the correct level? A MMM lives in a very dirty location. At a minimum mine gets blown off clean after every use and if dirty, I break out the pressure washer. I also grease mine every other use but I bought a 20+yr old B1700 with a MMM. Helps to spot potential leaks and issues.

Other than that, you should be good to get out there and get some seat time.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Check around your seals to make sure it isn’t leaking. Did you happen to notice when you pulled the fill plug if the oil was up to the correct level? A MMM lives in a very dirty location. At a minimum mine gets blown off clean after every use and if dirty, I break out the pressure washer. I also grease mine every other use but I bought a 20+yr old B1700 with a MMM. Helps to spot potential leaks and issues.

Other than that, you should be good to get out there and get some seat time.
Didn't see any leaking gear oil or even any damp looking areas around the seals - not sure on the correct level, it was a lot more gear oil than i expected - I took a 16oz beer can and cut it down to about 1/3 the size and was able to get that under the drain plug, which that filled up twice and had a little bit left after that - I'll for sure be using an aluminum baking pan (cheap ones that are single use) next time, just so I don't have to sit a watch the oil drain out/spill over, rinse/repeat..

Yeah, we'll see about the seat time, we're due for rain & snow over the next ~48 hours, and I still have a few snow drifts in the yard.. soon enough I'l be complaining about having to mow twice a week though.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If it drys out, I will be mowing this weekend. No snow in Central OH this year

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
My tractor is garage bound. From yesterday. This is CA…we are still in a drought
7CACDDED-4600-4263-972D-C0720FBE0034.jpeg
838511E8-C011-4FC2-B99B-292040F71FC4.png

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
After 27 years my Tractor wheels were starting to look a little 'rough'.....so thought I'd just touch them up a bit. Not a proper 'repaint' where you'd dismount tires thoroughly clean the rims, prime and use a paint with hardener. But just an effort to make it look a little better and keep things from getting worse.

If your tires don't have a lot of 'bead sealer' or otherwise fit ultra-tight at the rim, you can use cheap Playing Cards to 'mask' off the tires...so you don't get a lot of over-spray on them.

Touchup1.jpg

Spray the paint and them let it cure for at least an hour.

Touchup2.jpg

Then remove the Playing Cards and discard. If done carefully....there should be little to no over spray on the tires.

Touchup3.jpg

Since the rear tires on mine consist of a rim that mounts to a center flange....I opted to mask off the center portion with tape rather than paint over everything like the fronts, but it was minimal preparation.

Touchup4.jpg

I will let the rears cure overnight and then pull the masking tape. The rear tires had some amount of bead sealer around the lip of the rim so I wasn't able to seat the cards as deeply as on the front. Got a 'little' over spray because of that....but I can live with it.

Touchup5.jpg

Finished....except to 'gray out' the center hub on the front wheels and replace lug nuts with new cadmium plated.

Touchup Finished.jpg

Touchup7.jpg

Touchup8.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users