What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Only room for one box, other side used for third function valve,
Tube was 5”x5”x1/4” should have used 1/8” though…not drilled yet but will be
You have the 534 loader, right? Can't be MUCH difference in that and the 535, but rather than having the valve up front by the cowl, the FEL valve on the LX is down under the seat platform with a VERY long stick. The 3rd function still installs up on the FEL mount, though, meaning a rather long hose on the PB line. Don't have one yet, but pricing them and debating putting it on myself. I'm not afraid of mechanical work, but do have some musculoskeletal issues that make some things hard for me to do these days. I'm certainly not interested in pulling that back wheel/tire off. It has ballast, and probably weighs close to 700 lbs. I'm screwed if it falls over. The valves are pricey, but like the rest of the tractor, I can see where a lot of work would get a lot easier with a grapple. Better yet, the missus gave me the green flag to get a grapple. Now to decide what I want. Don't wanna overload the FEL with it, so extreme duty probably isn't necessary. I want to be able to pick up the volume of stuff, not spend all my hydraulics on picking up the grapple.

I'll have to correct myself. The ammo cans I used are 50 cal, not 30 cal. Mounted the second one on the RH post of the ROPS outside using existing holes in the ROPS. My 20 foot 3/8" chain fits in there nicely, along with all my clevises and chain related stuff. Haven't painted it yet, though. Gotta get some more orange paint.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I have used a method
I'm gonna say I've never tried the stuff on calm hornets, wasps, etc, because I rarely find them calm. My last episode with 'em was just shortly after I pulled a 4" elm stump out, a yellow cloud formed around the stump. Fortunately for me, I was using my new stumpin' rig (upside down T made with 4x4's and 2x4 blocking/braces, and I was nearly 30 feet from them already when they came outta the ground. I just stood on the treadle a little harder and left the scene in reverse.

What I like about the Raid is that you can shoot a nest from nearly 30 feet away with a fresh can. If you're a decent shot, and hit them flying, they IMMEDIATELY fall. One drop of that stuff, they just curl up and fall. Period. THE END. I normally wait until dark, and find where they've repaired their main entry, and just shoot the Raid into the hole. Or, if I just got close and didn't hurt the nest, I turn about a half cup of gasoline in a plastic bottle upside down in the hole while they're in their jimjams. A dim flashlight is recommended, because they WILL fly to a bright one. I never light the gasoline, I just let the fumes do the hard part. I dug one up a few days later, and it had 4 combs in it, all the size of a dinner plate. There must have been 2000 dead jackets in that nest. The idiots are too stupid to build their nest with cross-ventilation so the whole nest doesn't die from fumigation. Occasionally, I run across one with multiple entries. Those are the tricky ones to deal with.

The dishwashing liquid will work if you can get it ON the bugs, but if you miss, uh-oh, they're coming, and they're not happy. Freakishly, they can figure out the direction an assault came from, and will fly straight to that sprayer. It does work, but it may take them a few minutes to die with that stuff. Normally, if I'm killing a nest, it's because one of them either stung me, or threatened to, and I'm in a rampage. I want them DEAD NOW when I see 'em. I don't play with hornets. Fortunately, I'm not allergic, but I am VERY vindictive when they sting me. If I'm spraying them with anything, I want them dead before they hit the ground if they were hanging, or dead before they leave the ground if that's where they're coming from. The biggest problem with yellow jackets is the first thing they do when disturbed is spread out and find the target. If they get behind you, you have a problem, because they will secrete pheromones which tell all their buddies where they are. I can deal with one or two stings (albeit the whole colony will pay for it) but having some heart issues makes me think I really don't want to test my immunity to them. Not a way I want to die, for sure.
I used a method in the past with yellow jackets in the ground. If you find the hole, come back at night and put a glass jar over it preferably a gallon one . Leave it for a couple days, they won't be able to get out and will die. I added my own twist and spray the foaming spray around it right after.
But once i got stung mowing the law at my MIL's and tried the jar with a brick on it because I didn't have any spray. Trouble was it was in the catskills and that night a black bear dug it up and the survivors were angry in the morning when I took the dogs out . I was able to get some spray later and finish them off. What was left of the nest after the bear was about football size. Guess I was lucky to only get stung once.

Bill

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Delta dust around the opening helps too, they spread it across the colony over the course of a few days and die off. Better alternative than pouring gasoline on the soil and contaminating groundwater and killing off the surrounding insects.
I'm with Old_Paint. I use a can of the long range stuff in each hand, wouldn't want to run out of ammo in a fire fight. We usually have a can handy on the tractor. I'm not really interested in killing them softly, I want them to feel the same burning death they're trying to inflict on me.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I'm with Old_Paint. I use a can of the long range stuff in each hand, wouldn't want to run out of ammo in a fire fight. We usually have a can handy on the tractor. I'm not really interested in killing them softly, I want them to feel the same burning death they're trying to inflict on me.
The long range spray is fine, I'm critiquing the use of gasoline.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Delta dust around the opening helps too, they spread it across the colony over the course of a few days and die off. Better alternative than pouring gasoline on the soil and contaminating groundwater and killing off the surrounding insects.
You have your ways, and I have several of my own to deal with jackets. I'm no tree hugger or bunny kisser, but I do try to do what I can to avoid significant impact on the environment. I assure you, there are a LOT of things far worse in my soil already than that little teacup full of gasoline that I might use if I don't have a can of that wonderful biodegradable and pet-safe non-toxic (to humans) RAID). I prefer the RAID, because I can shoot 'em on the fly with that and get wasp nests with it I'd otherwise have to get a ladder to reach (very obvious risks doing that).

I'm pretty sure my home was built on a retired land-fill which used to be an open pit strip mine dating back before the Civil War, though the house was just built in 1975. There are a lot of things are buried here, and they wash to the surface after every rain. We've probably picked up at least a ton of glass shards since 2004. I've found old oil cans, boot heels, bicycle pedals, BB guns, toy cars, plastic limbs of dolls, etc, etc. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I found a piece of the medieval treasure from Oak Island. I'd certainly let Rick and Marty know if I did. I'm relatively certain the Knights Templar used my yard for a dumping ground, albeit I've yet to find anything of value. My yard is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll find. On top of all that, it's also at the lowest elevation of about 30 acres (fortunately hilly) meaning all the run-off from 3 streets (oil/fuel leakage from cars) and approximately 20 houses on that 30 acres (fertilizer, insecticides, etc, etc) come across my yard. When the ditches slow to a trickle, there is ALWAYS an oil slick on the water standing in them, some of which will be leaching from the layer of coal that isn't very deep here. In those same ditches, there are crayfish the size of small lobsters while it's still wet, night crawler earthworms that look like small snakes when it sort of dries out, and cicadas the size of footballs. Moving out from those ditches, I have huckleberry bushes nearly 30 feet tall, dogwoods about the same, pines that are nearly 3 feet in diameter as well as a few oaks that big, poison ivy vines that are 6 inches in diameter, rattle snakes, foxes, chipmunks, squirrels, red-tail and broad-tail hawks, you name it. Even deer walking through my little suburban lot, and I caught and relocated a racoon from my back deck . Somehow, I don't think I've hurt the environment very much at all.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
100° in the shade and about to lose the shade. Been cutting firewood in the morning and staying inside after it gets too hot. Done for the day. 🍺
a.jpg
b.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
100° in the shade and about to lose the shade. Been cutting firewood in the morning and staying inside after it gets too hot. Done for the day. 🍺 View attachment 83917 View attachment 83918
What grappel is that? I see you have the LA435 FEL on your B. I've got the LA535 on my LX, which give me another 100KG (220lbs) lift, but I'm still pretty limited at a total of roughly 1200 lbs. I'm currently shopping for a grapple because I have TONS of deadfall and rotten logs to handle. I don't use firewood at all unless I'm camping and using it for bucking/cutting firewood is not in the plan, so I'm thinking the single hinge lid/claw would be good enough for my purposes. The Titan Econo-Grappel looks like all I really need. I see the advantage of the dual lids, but not sure I need that advantage. There's always making a few more cuts to get stuff small enough to handle. Yours looks like plenty grapple for what I need. Did you have to make any mods or strengthen it anywhere after you got it? What's the width on that one, 60"?

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
What grappel is that?
It's a stock Land Pride SGC0554. It's 54" and does fine. Have already bent one of the lower tines, but it still works fine. I bought it because it's light weight, but don't remember the exact weight.

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
What grappel is that? I see you have the LA435 FEL on your B. I've got the LA535 on my LX, which give me another 100KG (220lbs) lift, but I'm still pretty limited at a total of roughly 1200 lbs. I'm currently shopping for a grapple because I have TONS of deadfall and rotten logs to handle. I don't use firewood at all unless I'm camping and using it for bucking/cutting firewood is not in the plan, so I'm thinking the single hinge lid/claw would be good enough for my purposes. The Titan Econo-Grappel looks like all I really need. I see the advantage of the dual lids, but not sure I need that advantage. There's always making a few more cuts to get stuff small enough to handle. Yours looks like plenty grapple for what I need. Did you have to make any mods or strengthen it anywhere after you got it? What's the width on that one, 60"?
Look at the EA Wicked 55" I got mine about a month ago and have beat it up pretty good and it hasn't bent or broke. The lower tines are now laminated and I really don't see how you could bend them. Not saying it can't be done though. It weighs around 240lbs.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
6 years ago - ground nest- ER doctor and a couple of nurses worked to keep my airway open.
3 years ago - elec. panel box- Urgent care and a IV with a scared spouse pacing the floor.
This year - nest behind garbage can - different urgent care - steroids and antihistamine.

To get rid of nests I send the wife out with a sprayer and hose or I pay the exterminator 350 bucks !
Sounds like you should have an epi-pen or two in several places on your property. Open airways are one of those things we tend to take for granted.

2650fan

Equipment
B2650TLB
Jun 28, 2022
CT
I have has a EA wicked 55” grapple for about 3 years, weight is good for compact tractor and been thru the mill. Nothing bent (yet)

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
100° in the shade and about to lose the shade. Been cutting firewood in the morning and staying inside after it gets too hot. Done for the day. 🍺 View attachment 83917 View attachment 83918
Am I missing a log splitter or are you giving the ole axe more of a workout than your tractor?

Outside of my tractor, a chainsaw and log splitter were some of the best purchases I've made. Had a sweetgum come down recently. I would not have bothered splitting it for firewood (fire pit) had I not had a splitter.

Drink up my friend, you earned it!

Dan

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Nothing too exciting. Time to put some new 'skins' on the front of my L2350DT.

So I made a trip to town and took care of that.
Front Tires4.jpg

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Am I missing a log splitter or are you giving the ole axe more of a workout than your tractor?

Outside of my tractor, a chainsaw and log splitter were some of the best purchases I've made. Had a sweetgum come down recently. I would not have bothered splitting it for firewood (fire pit) had I not had a splitter.

Drink up my friend, you earned it!

Dan
Sweetgum doesn't split. You just sort of tear it apart, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Sweetgum doesn't split. You just sort of tear it apart, LOL.
I was impressed that 99% of it split (tore) apart completely. The remaining 1% I used my axe to finish splitting it. I will say for the 1 tree, I did get a 7 cu ft dump cart full of chips and shreds which should be nice tinder when dried. It was wrapped up in poison oak when it fell., but the deer ate almost every leave from it in 2 days. Apparently, poison oak/ivy leaves are nutritious for deer.

Dan

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Stopped by dealer today and picked up the full set of R14T tires that came in. Traded my R4 tires toward them, paid just over $213 for the set. Too hot to put them on, probably on my next day off...