What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
@B737 where did you get the pins for your telescope arms? they look handy.

I played with a tiller this afternoon. I got this several years ago and got it working but never got to use it so it's been sitting out for a while. I had to grease it and check oil, and everything was actually good except the the PTO shaft where it hitches to the tractor, the spring pin that keeps it on the PTO shaft had gone to rust I guess. It took me some grease and PB to work that thing loose.

I keep a small garden four 50 foot rows.

The little beastie with the abused looking tiller cut through like butter, I was expecting some kind of loading on the motor, but cruised right along.

a tiller was on the wifes must have list when i got my tractor... she didnt care what else it came with as long as i could till the garden for her! tillers were on backorder and then when it showed up it was missing a piece so she didnt get her garden tilled last year until the end of the season..... this year though there will be no excuses for me to have it ready for her to plant.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I read through the procedures several times. I double checked the part numbers for the filters (Kubota Filters, mind you) for the Transmission and Hydraulic filters. NEITHER is marked with these designations on the box, but on the side of the filters, one says Suction Filter, and the other says HST Filter. Ok, so I get the one marked HST filter, get it ready to go on, but the whole time, I'm saying to my self, "Self that looks like the wrong filter. I hate it when I'm right and oil is gushing out of something. I'm looking at the maintenance procedures in my OM again, and no, I am not mistaken about what I read. It clearly indicates putting the film on the O-Ring AFTER removing the original filter. Umm, no, certainly no time for that if you've already removed the filter on the bottom right side. I smeared the o-ring before removing the original filter, you know, just in case? I assumed the Kubota manual knew more than I did about oil running downhill, but we all know what happens when you ASS.U.ME.

I'll get photos of the sides of the filters today to verify my observations, but I really think the book has instructions for the main suction filter and the HST filter reversed. They clearly call for draining the oil for the Hydraulic Filter, which makes sense if you're replacing the both filters and the fluids, and even recommends draining the fluid first on the 400H service interval. On the 200H interval, f you're just replacing the transmission filter, sure leave the fluid and the main filter alone. It actually makes perfect sense to me. But if that bottom filter is the tranny filter, I'm going need a lot better instructions on doing this without drowning in SUDT2. I'm still curious about this 'vacuum method'. Time for a search.

The parts guy at the dealership was kind enough to slightly discount my 5 gallon bucket of SUDT2 after I explained how I got the filters backward, not to mention I'd just bought all the materials from them the day before. That escapade replaced 25% of the oil, so I had less reservation about returning the original oil back to the tractor from a clean catch pan. I won't be quite so comfy in the future if I have to drain every time and contaminate the catch pan. It's black, so I can't really see the condition of the oil. Doesn't smell burnt, and the color looks good, so I'm not real concerned about it. The filters should be doing their job.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
My L3301 came in handy today unloading and moving to storage the standby generator. Also keeping the drive up and moving dirt/gravel at the site of our forever home out on the farm.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I was worried about losing too much oil doing my first 50 hr service on the B2650. Bought a new 5 gallon bucket, cleaned it, drained the oil into it thinking I'll strain it and put it back in. Nope! It also looked just like your oil. It's still in the new bucket with a lid on it waiting for something to use it on. It'll most likely go in the city waste oil dump. The 200 hr change came out much much cleaner, thank goodness!
My 50hr. hydraulic oil looked like a nice light grey metallic paint. No way was I pouring that back in.

I used most of the used oil on my old and new trailer bottoms. A hand pump garden sprayer with a coarse tip works great.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
For additional protection to supplement the ROPS and seatbelt, I added both front and side airbags!

B2650 Front Air Bag Install.jpg B2650 Side Air Bags Install.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I KNEW IT!!!! The book for the LX is backward!!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I KNEW IT!!!! The book for the LX is backward!!
Proof the book is wrong ... If you have the manual for the LX2610 or LX3310, look at pp 124, and 125 for the instructions for replacing the "TRANSMIISSION OIL FILTER". (attached) That is NOT the transmission filter in the pictures. That is the main suction filter. No wonder I was confuzzled when I was trying to put the HST filter where this one is, and it wouldn't fit at all. I'm not sure the vacuum technique would be useful for this filter, but it's possible, if you have a strong enough vacuum. Strong enough might suck the seals right out of the axles, too. If you're changing the filter in this procedure, you should be changing the oil, too, which is outlined on pp 129-130. (also attached)

BUGGER!!! The way I see it, Kubota owes me the price of a gallon of SUDT2 for faulty instructions. But, I doubted the instructions, and followed them anyway, so I guess that makes it my fault. Palm firmly placed against forehead!!!!

These instructions must have been written by a former meteorologist.

Attachments

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Do you like your L3301? Would you buy one again?
We are looking to buy one for our horse ranch to groom arenas.
No, I do not like my L3301, I LOVE it!! In spite of getting used to the HST it does everything I ask of it. Bush hogging with a 5' cutter, box blading and moving dirt and gravel. My first time changing the hyd. filter was a pain, do the the almost welding of the filter to the frame but after that it's been nothing but a pleasure to operate.
Yes I would buy one again. 👍

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I did go with the Kubota L8430 sway bar kit to replace my turnbuckle adjusters. I was a little concerned that there could be more free movement than I wanted. Turned out not to be an issue, at least on my back blade. There is pretty much the same movement I had set the turnbuckles to :)
The install had a small hiccup. The bolts they supplied to go through the axle end shackle were slightly too big. At the same time they were about .5mm smaller than the pins that held the turnbuckle. Running a drill bit through the shackle holes solved the problem - probably took off slightly more than the thickness of the paint.
After all is said and done a simple install.

sway bars installed 3-6-21.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Tried out the new landplane yesterday. Little to wet but I was pleased with it and the way my tractor handled it. Little lower on right side to try and catch material on the edge of drive.

Reactions: 5 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
20210306_094545.jpg

Worked with dad to continue to remove old fence post and brush around the fields. I snapped the picture as he just managed to press the wrong direction and lift the front end of his tractor off the ground.

Reactions: 8 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
FINALLY dry enough to do some road maintenance! Cut some more drainage on a couple big potholes, filled in a bunch of small ones.

Used the backhoe to dig an exploratory hole for the future walipini location (that's one of those dug-in greenhouses). Looks like good gound for the project.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
RO

ROFLMAO! Love it!!! You can't be too safe. Guess i'll have mod my snow cab to supplement my side impact bars!
Ha! Glad you got a big chuckle out of it, Ping. Another benefit I could see is it would cut down on the screaming/swearing as the pucker factor increased or your tipping over, because you'd be too busy huffing and puffing as fast as you could to inflate those air bags! Did you notice they come in different colors for the front and side applications? Different sizes for different model tractors too!!

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Ha! Glad you got a big chuckle out of it, Ping. Another benefit I could see is it would cut down on the screaming/swearing as the pucker factor increased or your tipping over, because you'd be too busy huffing and puffing as fast as you could to inflate those air bags! Did you notice they come in different colors for the front and side applications? Different sizes for different model tractors too!!
yea, I noticed that and needed a good laugh. Living out of a suitcase till Tuesday. You'd have to give up the color coordination but I wonder if whoopie cushions would be a better choice than balloons? That way you could get the sound effects in stereo when you roll over or crash into something:sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
finally got around to welding casters onto the stump grinder shipping crate so it has its own dolly.

Reactions: 6 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Moved another half-dozen trailer loads of leaves today. I normally use the little Husqvarna to pull the yard trailer, but had already moved big orange so I just hooked the trailer to it. The Missus woulda told me a few years back just exactly where I could hang my hat that night if I even suggested raking and moving leaves past the first ditch across the property. But it was the best idea since shirt pockets when she thought about doing it, wasn't it? We've moved approximately 20 trailer loads of leaves since we started, and aren't NEARLY done with what I think she wants to do. But hey, she rakes 'em, I pick 'em up and haul 'em to the 2nd wash. Just like I've been doing for 15 years. That wash doesn't seem to ever fill up. Some happy nightcrawlers back there, though.

Did a preliminary lay-out for the slab for my new shop/shed. Gonna do a 24x36 and maybe add a lean-to for the trailers. Will probably do the grading for that and save a few bucks on the pour. Local fella's supposed to come by and give me a pour estimate tomorrow. Before the shop build can happen, I have to move my 12 x 20 tool shed outta the way, and dig up the power I ran to it. I'll put it in a temporary location until I get the new shed built. Thinking about trying to find a kit that I can build just for the amusement factor. Looks like I'll be able to easily put the 'bota and the Husky in the same stall. Figure on putting the chipper and anything else with rotating parts I wind up having in one stall along with the yard trailer, and having another 4 feet of storage room for a tool shed. I don't figure I need concrete for storing the big trailer, so may put a 10' lean-to on the end. I've got an old wood stove that I want to put in one corner somewhere too. Not too concerned about summer temps, but if I wanna work out there in the winter, don't wanna turn into a popsicle.