What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Whoa! Hope you got pics of that, or better yet, a vid! Wish you'd done that 4 months ago, maybe I coulda saved a K or so... <sigh>

C'mon, gimme the skinny, and don't skimp on the details!
I don't have any special expertise, but I'm happy to share what I did and learned. I wanted to take out the tree roots and all because of some upcoming construction. Getting the tree guys to do it all would have been over $1k. I had other trees to take down, so I just paid the tree guys to cut off all the limbs and drop the top. I brought in a 30 cubic yard roll off dumpster and put all the limbs/branches/leaves in it. That took most of a day and left me with a 30' high trunk to get down.

I got out the chainsaw and a couple of new chain files for sharpening, then it was: cut a root, sharpen chain, repeat until all roots are cut. Then I tied a stout rope to the top and pulled it for a while in one direction, then a while in the other until it tipped far enough to fall over. Cutting roots took most of the day, pulling the tree over only took about half an hour.

Next step was cutting the trunk apart and getting the stump out of the hole. I used a chain to roll it up out of the hole cut the trunk into 5 foot pieces. This took a couple hours.

Stump was too big to carry with the grapple, so I had to roll it up the road to the dumpster. Next step is to get the roots out of the ground, I think that will take another day. It's not easy but it sure is satisfying!

-- Carl

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
m32825, how did you expose the roots?

I've got a couple of stumps that will be buried when I finish my landfill but I've been thinking of pulling one of them out, "just for the fun of it". I'm sure that's just the proof that someone will use to commit me to the loony bin, but I expect you can appreciate the 'fun' part (even though it's totally unnecessary, and an awful lot of very hard work!)

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
m32825, how did you expose the roots?
Great question. I spent a good chunk of the day on roots because I was trying to figure out the best way to expose them before cutting them to preserve my chainsaw blade. At first I tried digging around them to expose the top and bottom, getting the sand off of them, and then cutting with the chainsaw. That was a ton of work and I spent a lot of time struggling with small roots that got in the way. Progress was better once I gave up on that approach and just started exposing the tops of the roots and cutting them with the chainsaw. Best distance from the trunk for cutting seemed to be about one trunk diameter, enough distance for the roots to separate from the trunk but not so far that they begin to branch. I also wasted time trying to pull the trunk over before I had all the roots cut. I made no progress at all on that until all the roots were cut.

-- Carl

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
m32825, how tall was the trunk attached to the root ball when you tried to pull it over?

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I guess you could say I raked a few leaves LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The trunk was 30', my rope was 25' up it.

-- Carl
Yup, you did it the correct way. I can't count the number of times I have seem people cut them 2' to 4' off the ground and wonder why they could not pull or push it over. You just had a BIG stubborn one. Glad you got it done.

Chew

Aug 5, 2014
Centerville, Tx
If I wasn't a midget and had to have my seat all the way back I would have had to settle for a small box. [emoji16]

Chew

Aug 5, 2014
Centerville, Tx
Anybody done the 50 hour service on a l3400? I bought a 2008 and it just now got 50! Had 25 on it until 2014 and I put 25 on it real quick. I saw the nice YouTube videos but it was for a HST, not a standard.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Spent some time working on my 9000, my clutch cable broke while bushhogging. It was quite the adventure seeing as how I was needing to stop to keep from going thru a ditch. Needless to say the clutch pedal was on the floor and no stopping in site. Then the long limp home in low range because I couldn't shift gears. It could have been much worse but it did cause a little pucker factor.

My advise to anyone that has a tractor with a clutch cable. If you depend on that tractor for every day use it would be smart to order one and have it on hand just in case. Mine had given no sign of problems and was a complete surprise when it broke. None of my local dealers (checked with 4) had one in stock and it's going to be 3 or 4 days before I can get one. If this had happened during hay season I would have been screwed. So it might be wise to at least check with your dealer to see if they stock them.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Moved some thin logs by stacking them on the top of the loader bucket. Rolled some largish fire-wood length logs into the bucket and dumped them in a pile at the far back, out of the way. Dragged apart some brush that I had crammed into a pile so I could get the tractor and trailer around the house ("What a tangled web we weave..." kept running through my mind!) Mostly dragged the brush that can be chipped by hand. Got two good piles staged, and will have two more in the bottom -- which I may have to move up if I can't get a chipper down there.

Attachments

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
did some more welding on building my ballast barrel. Getting close to being ready for cement.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Moved some boats into storage, swapped my rear hitch to forks and threw a pallet on And carried my pellet stove outside for cleaning and a quick paint job.
Looks so much better and seems to throw a little more heat after cleaning (blew entire thing out with compressed air )worth the work i think.

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'15 B3350, LA534A Loader, Land Pride RTA1258 Tiller, BH77 Backhoe, Forks
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
I've been trimming some large Catalpa trees along the property. This is a job that I would never have done without the help of my Kubota. It sure makes my life a whole lot easier and faster.

Attachments