What About Your Tractor Makes You Swear?

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
It used to be mounting the FEL. But, the dealer made some adjustments and I've gotten better at it.

Today was my first time mounting the mower and I discovered that I couldn't attach the PTO coupler 1-handed and couldn't lay on the ground and reach it well with both hands. Of couse, I pulled the coupler off the mower shaft and had to find my glasses to line up the keyway. Coming back to it, I laid on top of the left side of the mower deck and could more easily reach in with both hands and pop the coupler onto the PTO shaft. At least it wasn't a bad stuck - the only thing thrown was my hat.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
For me, and I think it goes with most everyone who owns tractors, the most often said are variants of this...

"MORE POWER SCOTTY!!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
The person behind the steering wheel. Even with the ( P ) light on, I still try to move the tractor without releasing the "Parking" brake :eek:.

Reactions: 1 users

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
There is another post these days with his advice or warning to BX owners.
The cheap,dinky fuel filters require frequent changing and getting to the rear filter takes a lot of time. That Canadian member here from way out at the North Atlantic describes how to install a larger one, but it takes some modifications of the tractor to fit it in.

Next most irritating thing is the cheap BX three point control. Not in any way as handy as the useful level of implement control usually found on tractors, even small ones of different make.

Asking me why don't I trade it in for a different make? Well maybe that will come about.

Mounting the belly mower is about as hard with the BX as it did for my former blue, larger tractor. Both time consuming.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
All the operating instructions were in Japanese :confused: That's slowly being rectified :D

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Only the monthly payment. The tractor is everything I expected. If I could just win the darn lottery my life would be peachy!

Jerry

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Only the monthly payment. The tractor is everything I expected. If I could just win the darn lottery my life would be peachy!

Jerry
Love it and agree 100%...the payment is still worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
Bx25 things that make me swear
Mounting belly mower
Dealing with 3 point
Connecting hydraulic for FEL
Hood bonnet and surround design
Mice nests
Tail lights
Seat rotation
Front axle seals

Nonetheless SH;T I love this tractor

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The cab.

Don't get me wrong, I love it and would never go back to open station, but there are two things that aggravate the crap out of me:

1. Adjusting the 3PH height while hooking up implements. Reaching through the rear cab window to get at the lever is a pain in the sitter.

2. I have seriously compromised peripheral vision and I'm FOREVER bumping my head on the open rear window when hooking up implements, and/or the mirrors while walking around the tractor.

It is best not to have innocent children or nuns around while I'm hooking up the snowblower or tiller or whatever...:eek:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Three point stabilizers. Them chains suck. Would love to have a set of Hodge's stabilizers, but dollar and shipping prevents it.

And the shaky instrument panel, that irks me too.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
The multi-function switch for the lights. I tend to smack my left knee against it when turning to look back over my right shoulder. My kneecap is not OEM and it really smarts when this happens. Wish the switch was higher up on the dash.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I swear every single time I get on my BX !!!!!!!

Swear that I won't buy another "Box store" mower ever again !! :D

Oh... and to the guy talking about hooking the belly mower drive shaft to the PTO.....

If you push the coupler all the way down... it will stay. Then you can install it with one hand, and it will pop closed when engaged.

Oct 24, 2015
Canada
Only things that kinda bother me with my L2501 is the 3pth lever; when fully up seems to put strain on the hydraulic system and slows everything else down, probably is an adjustment of some sort, but there is still snow outside and i hate working in that crap. Other thing would be the front tire positive camber; looks goofy to me lol but i can live with it.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Apparently no one has tried to change the oil in the BX5455HD snowblower gear reducer. I think there are two ways to catch the oil draining out:
1 Put a rag under the drain and mop up the oil when done.
2 Hold a teaspoon under the drain and really spoon fast. Could be trickey since you have to reach back about 10" into a 2" opening. A flat rectangular pan might work but only if it is less than 1" wide.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Apparently no one has tried to change the oil in the BX5455HD snowblower gear reducer. I think there are two ways to catch the oil draining out:
1 Put a rag under the drain and mop up the oil when done.
2 Hold a teaspoon under the drain and really spoon fast. Could be trickey since you have to reach back about 10" into a 2" opening. A flat rectangular pan might work but only if it is less than 1" wide.

Have you seen the flexible sheet funnels? http://formafunnel.com/

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Only things that kinda bother me with my L2501 is the 3pth lever; when fully up seems to put strain on the hydraulic system and slows everything else down, probably is an adjustment of some sort, but there is still snow outside and i hate working in that crap. Other thing would be the front tire positive camber; looks goofy to me lol but i can live with it.
All it needs is a stop setting.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Replacing parts all the time. Just had to put in a new headlight bulb. That's the second unplanned part failure since I got the darn thing. The first one was a sensor switch. Talk about unreliable. Of course I bought it new in April, 2002. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes your three point control is out of adjustment!
And yes continuing to use it when it's doing can damage the system. ;)

Last edited: