Weird Stalling on Brand New L3902…

JonesCorner

Equipment
L3902
Dec 22, 2023
Maine
Hi folks - first time post. Have a new, 60 hour 3902. It sat for about two months, indoors. Located in mid-coast Maine. Fired it up yesterday, all good. Sat outside last night in dry, but a little cold weather.

This morning, a problem. It’ll fire up fine, idles smooth, I can rev up the RPMs, all good. But if I try to move in anything above a creep — in either forward or reverse, it tries to stall out unless I take foot off accelerator, and then it’ll come back to idle.

I added Diesel 911 to the fuel filter, thinking it had gotten cold or gelled (was in the teens last night). Fuel wasn’t treated so I added a little winterizer and cleaner to the tank as well. No water in the separator, and I had just changed that filter at the 50 hour interval. Checked air filter, it looks brand new. Still no luck.

Very frustrating. Almost feels like a safety type of thing… any thoughts?

Thanks for any insight. This is my first Kubota, so appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
Do you have the parking brake on?

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi folks - first time post. Have a new, 60 hour 3902. It sat for about two months, indoors. Located in mid-coast Maine. Fired it up yesterday, all good. Sat outside last night in dry, but a little cold weather.

This morning, a problem. It’ll fire up fine, idles smooth, I can rev up the RPMs, all good. But if I try to move in anything above a creep — in either forward or reverse, it tries to stall out unless I take foot off accelerator, and then it’ll come back to idle.

I added Diesel 911 to the fuel filter, thinking it had gotten cold or gelled (was in the teens last night). Fuel wasn’t treated so I added a little winterizer and cleaner to the tank as well. No water in the separator, and I had just changed that filter at the 50 hour interval. Checked air filter, it looks brand new. Still no luck.

Very frustrating. Almost feels like a safety type of thing… any thoughts?

Thanks for any insight. This is my first Kubota, so appreciate any suggestions.
Classic symptoms of a malfunctioning seat switch. The computer thinks there is no one in the.seat.

Check to make sure seat is fully down. First time it happened to me I left a wrench layimg under the seat and it was preventing the seat from fully closing (opening???) the switch.

That tractor dont give a squat about the barking brake. You can drive all day with it set.....

Dan

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

JonesCorner

Equipment
L3902
Dec 22, 2023
Maine
Thanks all… gonna check out the seat and its environs tomorrow. Will post afterward to let everyone know if I find a wrench or something else that does the trick. Hope so!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I agree with cold weather seat switch diagnosis, but look up where the sensor actually is in your model. In some of the newer Kubotas it is either a pad embedded IN the seat or a pad velcro'd to the front of the seat. To solve the problem caused by my down coat not allowing my weight to press down in the right place, I added a thin sheet of Styrofoam. also once your rear warms up the seat enough problem goes away.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I agree with cold weather seat switch diagnosis, but look up where the sensor actually is in your model. In some of the newer Kubotas it is either a pad embedded IN the seat or a pad velcro'd to the front of the seat.
Well I did look and the switch is not the same as the levered one used on my L3901. Its item 87 on the parts list but if its in the diagram I cant find it.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yours could have TWO safety switches for the PTO levers..... ?? Some models do BUT your dealer should be able to solve this in 60 seconds on the phone !
There has to be a way to run chipper or buzzsaw using that tractor.
Hate to say it but... it 'should' be in the manual as well......

JonesCorner

Equipment
L3902
Dec 22, 2023
Maine
Thanks all… gonna check out the seat and its environs tomorrow. Will post afterward to let everyone know if I find a wrench or something else that does the trick. Hope so!
Thanks everyone. It was the seat switch, one inch of wire to jump it did the trick. Appreciate the advice.

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Many folks jump the seat switch.
Maybe not quite as safe,.....but....
......Very practical!
My BX22 only had a safety switch on the PTO lever and I never had a problem with that tractor. My BX23S has a seat safety switch that disengages when I lean too far forward to see the front wheels. One of these days I will figure out where the switch is located and jump it out of the system.