Weird buying/advice question

Steve92

Equipment
Mx5200
Jun 15, 2021
Kansas
I was top bidder on an MX5200DHST (970 hours) in an auction last week over in Missouri. Paid $12,800, no fel on it. Before the auction, I drove over with a much more tractor savvy friend and we drove it, gave it a good looking over and thought it looked good. It was supposed to be delivered by the Company today. I got a call last night from the owner of the auction company stating that the man loading the tractor noticed a noise in the engine while preparing to load it. I hadn't noticed anything but my hearing isn't too good anyway. He advised his mechanic would take a look at it but he wasn't going to deliver it as it was. Even offered to refund my money.

Given the price of these things, and my needs (bush hogging and food plots) , I thought I got a steal, even if it needed some work. The owner seemed like a decent enough guy in the couple of hours we talked to him, but is this something where I should simply take my money back and motor on? The nearest dealer (about 70 miles away) has a MX5400 on the lot new and is asking $28,000.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would drive back to the tractor with your friend and meet with the auction mechanic and listen for the problem. In my mind one of three things are going on. First and I hope the real reason the auction is being straight with you. And they do not want to screw you over. I kind of doubt this to be the case as most auctions are "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

The second thing that comes to mind is someone offered more money for the tractor then you did after the auction and the auction is willing to give you your money back so they can sell the tractor again at a higher price.

Or third the auction sold the tractor to you below the minimum price that the seller wanted and is wanting to back out of the deal so he does not have to take money out of his own pocket to give to the seller.

Check with a dealer to see what the price of an engine rebuild is going to be. If the rebuild price plus you $12,800 is still a bargain to you then take the tractor.

Reactions: 9 users

Firefight100

Equipment
MX5200
Apr 3, 2021
63379 troy mo
I was top bidder on an MX5200DHST (970 hours) in an auction last week over in Missouri. Paid $12,800, no fel on it. Before the auction, I drove over with a much more tractor savvy friend and we drove it, gave it a good looking over and thought it looked good. It was supposed to be delivered by the Company today. I got a call last night from the owner of the auction company stating that the man loading the tractor noticed a noise in the engine while preparing to load it. I hadn't noticed anything but my hearing isn't too good anyway. He advised his mechanic would take a look at it but he wasn't going to deliver it as it was. Even offered to refund my money.

Given the price of these things, and my needs (bush hogging and food plots) , I thought I got a steal, even if it needed some work. The owner seemed like a decent enough guy in the couple of hours we talked to him, but is this something where I should simply take my money back and motor on? The nearest dealer (about 70 miles away) has a MX5400 on the lot new and is asking $28,000.
I just bought a 5200, gave 20500.00 for it here in Mo with a fel and around 750 hours. You got a great deal and they're trying to back out of it. Go get your tractor quick!

Reactions: 1 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I would drive back to the tractor with your friend and meet with the auction mechanic and listen for the problem. In my mind one of three things are going on. First and I hope the real reason the auction is being straight with you. And they do not want to screw you over. I kind of doubt this to be the case as most auctions are "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

The second thing that comes to mind is someone offered more money for the tractor then you did after the auction and the auction is willing to give you your money back so they can sell the tractor again at a higher price.

Or third the auction sold the tractor to you below the minimum price that the seller wanted and is wanting to back out of the deal so he does not have to take money out of his own pocket to give to the seller.

Check with a dealer to see what the price of an engine rebuild is going to be. If the rebuild price plus you $12,800 is still a bargain to you then take the tractor.

This is solid advice.

$12,800 seems like a great deal for a "new" 50 hp tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd guess they're being honest. Because in my experience most people are honest. And he said he'd have his mechanic look at it and then tell you, and let you choose. Wait till he does that and see what he tells you. And then make your choice on whether you want a refund. To be honest, it'd make me feel better about buying it knowing the guy cared - it probably means the rest of it is in good condition.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
After reading this thread I went and looked up the price of a MX5200 on Tractor House, Machinery Pete and Equipment Trader. There are not many to look at but you got a good deal at $12,800. I think that is the problem.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I must be out of touch I thought auctions were as is where is and no warranties implied. Assuming you paid them, I'd be there this morning at first light with my trailer and take my tractor home, good bad or otherwise PERIOD! A person that delivers tractors is also a certified mechanic? This all sounds pretty bogus! I'd get his auctioneer's license number and check up on him.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Sounds like the "Auctioneer" got a better offer AFTER the sale. Be careful he is not trying to make you give up the tractor which he has probably found a better $$$$$ home for. Some auctioneers have about the same morals of lawyers and real estate salesmen................just sayin'

Reactions: 2 users

Steve92

Equipment
Mx5200
Jun 15, 2021
Kansas
I'm going back tomorrow and take some video of it running if I don't hear from him today. Let my local mechanic take a look at the video and see what he thinks.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
'm going back tomorrow and take some video of it running if I don't hear from him today. Let my local mechanic take a look at the video and see what he thinks.
I'd take the local mechanic with you. Pay him for his time, video probably won't help him.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I'd guess they're being honest. Because in my experience most people are honest. And he said he'd have his mechanic look at it and then tell you, and let you choose. Wait till he does that and see what he tells you. And then make your choice on whether you want a refund. To be honest, it'd make me feel better about buying it knowing the guy cared - it probably means the rest of it is in good condition.
People are not honest in this type of industry. Not in the US anyway.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
SCAM.....
if they want to buy it back, add $5-10K for YOUR wasted time and 'expenses' PLUS the fact you wouldn't HAVE the tractor....
Or...
they can give you a comparable tractor for the SAME price....
SCAM, has to be WHO ever hear of an auction house BUYING back anything, sold asis -whereis.....
Not here in Ontario.

Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sounds like the "Auctioneer" got a better offer AFTER the sale. Be careful he is not trying to make you give up the tractor which he has probably found a better $$$$$ home for. Some auctioneers have about the same morals of lawyers and real estate salesmen................just sayin'
Wow, you sure put a bunch of folks in the same basket!!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
When I start my M5660 cold, the engine is "quiet". After it idles for a minute or two, it gets louder and knocks like a typical diesel. This is due to the ECU changing the injection amount and timing after the engine warms up a bit. I wonder if this is what the certified diesel mechanic/truck driver heard. Nonetheless I concur with the consensus that the greasy auctioneer has $$ in his eyes.

D

Deleted member 47704

You forgot car salesmen.