Weight question

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,954
5,678
113
SW Pa
OK y'all know the FEL is laying on the garage floor with the grapple attached. I figure the weighs about 300 pounds and getting it off is going to be fun, but I digress . Dose any one have an idea the weight of the FEl by it self. Cause I cant lift it but I figure I can use the rope hoist and get it up but Im wondering so I can get enough 2x4s across the truss so I can lift it Im thinking 3 on edge but I dont k now what the FEl on the B weighs.
 

GreensvilleJay

Well-known member

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,
Apr 2, 2019
13,885
6,323
113
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
garage 'truss' will not support the weight !!! They're designed for ROOF load, not weight under them.
uses 6by6 posts with 3-2x6 as a 'beam'. You can use 2x4 to secure to the trusses.
FEL weight will be in the owner's manual 'somewhere'....

Would need to see a picture of the 'project' but removing grapple should be easy if SSQA.
 

jimh406

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
2,988
2,362
113
Western MT
Do you have a floor jack or bottle jack? You could use one with blocks of wood and slowly work it up higher and then release the grapple.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
15,009
7,709
113
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, I built a frame out of power pole cross members I had when I was building mounting brackets to use a Massey loader on a L305 Kubota. Simple, sturdy, cheap. Do something similar with material you have, but make it sturdy and strong.
 

Attachments

  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,593
5,241
113
Ohio
Well that sounds like a kick in the sack…can you not get close enough to hook up the hoses and let hydraulics do the lifting?

What do you have on (or that you could use) with the 3pt that you might be able to use the 3pt to lift the loader up with and then block it up? (Might be able to do it with multiple lifts/blocking incrementally?)

got any snatch blocks and place to safely rig from behind the loader to lift it that way?

id say whatever you try, be mindful of stored energy and where any of your favorite bits/parts at ( toes and other things you like to keep)

do you have a helper or watcher in case things go south?

if can connect the hoses I’d try that first. Can you not drive up between the loader arms until tires in the way of the arms…hoses long enough to connect?

how about a farmer jack? I have two but won’t do you much good where there are at. Those have pretty good range for height. I’d try this solo until I could get the kickstand down. ….not a bad idea to have a helper or watcher…lots a stored energy there could hurt. (If the loader is really flat on ground, I would worry that it will slide/slip when start lifting…be careful and watch / find way to prevent that)

have a neighbor with a tractor / loader tha could help?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,443
11,239
113
Sandpoint, ID
Yes do like D2Cat and make a simple A frame to pick it up.
 

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,106
5,550
113
Michigan
I vote for "A frame".

Cheap, simple, fast and strong (if done properly ;) )

But I can see @jimh406 idea working as well.....Just might take a while🤷‍♂️

Now since I am spending your money, it would be the perfect excuse to get one of these from Horror Fright....:love:👏

1789462459639.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,954
5,678
113
SW Pa
Well I got the FEL back in place, it hit me at 0500 this morning, how to use the boom crane on the BX. Very simple, at least in theory. But with the boom and use of ratchet straps I got in in place,,, it was not pretty!
The grapple is off and now to replace a couple steel hydro lines, but that is a job for another day.
Thanks for all the ideas ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
834
1,509
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
I hung mine from my rafters, similar size ... Used a come-a-long to lift it off my tractor ...

IMG_20260220_075110771.jpg

IMG_20260220_075130168.jpg

My factory Massey Ferguson GC 1725 MB’s FL 1805 Loader weighed 453.2 Lbs - 189.0 Lbs for the bucket = 264.2 Lbs without the bucket!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,954
5,678
113
SW Pa
Thats were I was going but using the boom pole turned out better because I could do it from the ground in small movements
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shawn T. W

Well-known member

Equipment
'05 L5030 HSTC - '21 MF GC 1725 MB - '18 JD Z960M Z-Trak
Dec 9, 2024
834
1,509
93
SW Missouri Ozarks
I only did it that way, as I wanted to weigh it ... I weigh a lot of stuff!

I actually took it off the tractor the traditional way, with the stand and hydraulics, then backed away, mine has lifting lugs I put the rachet straps into, the put them on the scale, that way I had a way to adjust the length as I was lifting it with the come-a-long, as I didn't figure I'd get the chain around the rafter in exactly the right spot to lift it straight up ...

I was surprised that it weighed so little, but then it hooks to a lot more steel on both the upright mast, plus the full length sub-frame ... But much more than I'd want to man handle!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
15,954
5,678
113
SW Pa
The grapple is a little over 300lbs and I couldnt find what the FEL weighs it self. Even though I have use the rafters to lift the mower deck in to the truck to get the wheel brackets welded back on. And I figured if the front end on the BX lifted I could stop with out screwing more stuff up,,lol
 

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,593
5,241
113
Ohio
I am glad you were able to get it safely and without injury. Great job finding a way!

I did not understand from the thread how/why this loader laying down happened, but if not already I would make sure that original problem is understood and countermeasured before repeat problem. (I am assuming the loader stand is missing or something not quite right in terms of how loader would normally be removed) anyway if that isn’t clear I’d check into that. JMHO.