Way off OTT...but do you know about trapping?

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Like to know which trap you would carry if the shit hit the fan for any type of animal. I am confused as to all the types!!!!!
I did alot of humping way back when but not sure with back pack loaded and needed to hump again now. Just need meat.

On another hand any one know bout the air gun/rifle cal. 22?

Just askn'

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
all i've trapped in the last little while are ground hogs and have managed to catch the odd skunk in the trap by mistake from time to time and also the odd squirrel. All of them would make a pretty good stew with the right herbs and spices in the pot. The only trap i've used is a live trap about 14 inches square and about 30 inches long with a spring loaded door and a trip mechanism near the bait stash inside at the other end. It's probably not what you need but works pretty good on urban animals. I don't recommend catching skunks alive by the way, polecats are some stinky.

eddie

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Thanks Eddie!
Was looking for foot traps that will not way me down when traveling but at camp can be placed out quickly for a quick or not so quick food source.

Box trap would be heavy to carry.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I use 1/8" aircraft cable and mono filament line. Works great on ever thing thing from coyotes to rabbits.

E/S

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Thanks Eddie!
Was looking for foot traps that will not way me down when traveling but at camp can be placed out quickly for a quick or not so quick food source.

Box trap would be heavy to carry.
Just make sure you don't get up in the middle of the night to pee and step in it. Or worse yet, let your dog step in it.:eek:

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
I would suggest the wire trap for survival and emergency. Probably the same one E/S mentioned.

I have a 22 cal Gamo Whisper rifle and it is a decent rifle. I haven't had it long enough to give you a long term evaluation, but I'm pretty sure I killed a groundhog with it last summer. It went down the hole as they usually do after being shot with small caliber guns.

I also have many 22 cal rimfires and they are good for small game and snakes with a revolver and snake shot.

It would help to know if this is just a general survival thread or a home pest trapping question. Leg hold, live, and snare traps are all used in different situations to better or worse advantage.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
survival
rimfire would call attition (sp) to you.
Have you ever tried any CB cap 22 ammo. In a 22 rifle they are quieter than a bb gun is. They won't make a auto cycle unless it is set up for they. In a bolt gun they make less noise than a good fart will make. Unless a person is standing right beside you they probably wouldn't even know that a shot was fired.

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
CB Caps won't cycle a standard semi-auto, though I have heard of the guns being modified for them - softer spring rates, modofied magazines, etc. A good bolt-action rifle would be the way to go. Adjust the sights for the lower powered CB Caps, and you're in business! Still, keep in mind what's in the background. I accidently bounced one off a neighbors house once. Oops!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Will Uncle Sam taught us a lot about survival, and traping,, this is a page I have used to teach my grand daughters ( before they found out how much fun boys were),,, snares and dead falls all work some easyer than others all deadly when used right

www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/traps/index.html
Peace
Skeets

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Yes, they gave me same skills.
Just thought about the foot traps and "if" they would help better for trappn and if so what size....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im goin a try and post this one more time!!!!!!

I use to walk a lot of miles laying steel when I was a young man, and I had a back pack i use to carry my daughters in sometimes when I went, and these are some thing I have learned,
1. never give the kid a can of pop when in the back pack, it becomes most uncomfortable when you ars is drenched in pop,,,
2. size 0 and #1 Victors work well for rats and minks, and if you use a float they work really well. Conibearers work for everything from 110's for rats and minks up the big 330 and 440's for beaver and fox and even bigger stuff like wolf and coyote.
3. Leg holds as well as body gripers, unless your really good at making your sets or there is no one around where you trap, have a way of attracting unwanted attention. Lost a lot of traps, to hey what the hell is that, kinda guys.
4. Snares on the other hand can be hidden easily and if you take your time they become almost like a trip wire there but hidden.
5. Get out early, before somebody else runs you line for you, and if your doing it for food that could be grounds for taking some very strong measures.
6 If your going to kill what you trap then a snare, a release from a foot hold on something that will bite you back becomes some what of a,,, what do I do now,, a big ass German Shepperd will give you second thought about it!
7 if ya just want to move critters from one place to another like I do for coons ( move them out to where some buds run their coon dogs)Then a Victor or Hava-heart box trap is the best idea,, big and visible but good for their intended purpose.
I hope some of drivel is of some help to you and thank you for your service
Peace
Skeets

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Thanks Skeet!
Did not know about the "Conibearers big 330 and 440's for beaver and fox and even bigger stuff like wolf and coyote."
Now that is way better than I ever thought of!

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
My wife & I are practicing with snares now. You could say I'm playing with the bunnies in the yard:cool: