water logged B8200 engine

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
penetanguishene ontario Canada
I went to put away my B8200 for the winter. It is one of two I have and the one I'm dealing with is my parts tractor. It runs fine but has been idle for the summer. I hadn't noticed that I had parked it under a roof overhang and water had entered the exposed exhaust pipe. There is a lot of water and it wouldn't start. I have drained the oil and refilled with some fresh oil. I was wondering where I should proceed from here. Pulling the injectors and putting some WD 40 and turning over to flush the injectors? I have to get it started because it is on an island in Georgian Bay and must be protected from harsh Canadian winters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Time is a factor here. Thanks

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I went to put away my B8200 for the winter. It is one of two I have and the one I'm dealing with is my parts tractor. It runs fine but has been idle for the summer. I hadn't noticed that I had parked it under a roof overhang and water had entered the exposed exhaust pipe. There is a lot of water and it wouldn't start. I have drained the oil and refilled with some fresh oil. I was wondering where I should proceed from here. Pulling the injectors and putting some WD 40 and turning over to flush the injectors? I have to get it started because it is on an island in Georgian Bay and must be protected from harsh Canadian winters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Time is a factor here. Thanks
I would pull the injectors, add a generous dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, and crank over a few times before replacing the injectors.
Skip the WD-40, it is best for your wife to use on the refrigerator door!
After running and warming it up,.....then change the oil again....filter too!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Best concoction I've used to free up an engine is 50% automatic transmission oil and 50% acetone. Get some in the cylinders and dump some where ever the water came in at. Let it soak for a couple of weeks.

Don't leave exhaust open and exposed to water !!!!!!

Here's a Allis D17 that had the same problem. Neighbor's tractor that had been exposed to rain for a couple of years. Runs like a top!

Attachments

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
Best concoction I've used to free up an engine is 50% automatic transmission oil and 50% acetone. Get some in the cylinders and dump some where ever the water came in at. Let it soak for a couple of weeks.

Don't leave exhaust open and exposed to water !!!!!!

Here's a Allis D17 that had the same problem. Neighbor's tractor that had been exposed to rain for a couple of years. Runs like a top!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My first D-14 sat in a 'shed'..took 2 weeks of ATF/acetone,manually try to turn, go away.
That was 21 years ago....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Next time put an old empty tomato can upside-down on the exhaust.

(I edited this to add the word “empty” just in case someone couldn’t figure it out.) 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Skip the WD-40, it is best for your wife to use on the refrigerator door!
WD-40 works very well for the purpose for which it was invented - Water Displacement. I don't know of a lubricant that works better for that purpose.

For any other purpose, there are better products. Often, FAR better.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
More then likely filled 1 or 2 cylinders with water / pull injectors & try to crank over to push water out / if that is the case / use alcohol first to evaporate remaining water / then i would pour in 1/4 cup or so of diesel fuel crank over & repeat / Just my two cents

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Yep like they all say can over the exhaust...My brothers sat outside for years. Fresh fuel new battery fired up! Aired the tires up way we go...It had a can over the exhaust pipe.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What does it do or not do besides “not start “?
YYou say it has water in the exhaust pipe but I assume you have drained that out.
It is not seized but does the starter spin the engine? I would suggest you try to crank it over by hand to make sure it is not hydraulically locked by water in the cylinders. You may have a decompression knob that you can pull to eject any fluids in the cylinders

Don’t crank it by starter until it is free to rotate

zoombats

Equipment
B8200, BX23S
Feb 2, 2019
Thanks everyone for your input. Drained the oil twice, replaced filter, flushed the injectors with WD and some diesel treatment and fired her up. All good. I used and apple juice can instead of a tomato . Hope that meets code.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks everyone for your input. Drained the oil twice, replaced filter, flushed the injectors with WD and some diesel treatment and fired her up. All good. I used and apple juice can instead of a tomato . Hope that meets code.
Apple juice is not as acidic as tomato juice, so that is likely a beneficial choice.:ROFLMAO: