Was a good day

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well it was hot I mean ball busting hot high humidity and sunny. And I picked up one of the grand daughters and sent the day. We stopped at the HD shop on the way back, she was less than impressed and to be honest so was I. Got Bob Evens, had breakfast and back to the house, she drove the tractor for the first time, and did pretty good,, she was all smiles, hauled a load of fire wood,, was to hot for a second,,, And I asked her if she wanted to make some noise,, she said sure, so I grabbed the 22's and we headed to the range for a bit. Now this is the kid that never wanted anything to do with boom sticks. She didnt do well with the 597 she was hitting paper with ever shot but no groups to speak of at 25 yards. And she wanted to try the TX22 OK so 7 yards, first 10 rounds all over the place. I figured out what she was doing and the next 10 all in a 4 inch group,, Cool I am happy, she says can I shot some more? Why hell yeah! The kid scares me now, the next 5 went in to a 2 inch circle with 5 just touching the edges. Now old pap is beaming like crazy through the sweat. The next 10 went into the same target with the same results. I asked well how did that make you feel, she looked and me and said EMPOWERED ! SO the day was good for both of us, I hope we can do it again!

Reactions: 6 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You did have a good day. Sounded like quite a bit of fun. It is a bit too warm here to enjoy shooting right now. Although, your post sure does have me thinking about it now. You might have another Annie Oakley on your hands.
😁

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I taught all of my kids to shoot before they reached the age of 7. My oldest daughter was just 4 when she shot the 22 for the first time. My son on the other hand was so small that he could not hold the 22 rifle until he was almost 7. He was the smallest of the 5 children. He was a premie and was always short for his age. My youngest daughter took to shooting like she was born with a rifle in her hands. She can shoot the eyes out of gnat at 100 yards.

I am a firm believer in teaching children firearms safety and how to shoot as early as possible. If they learn that, there would be a lot less firearms related incidents.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree once the mystery is gone from something it is no longer forbidden and feared. One grand daughter once say you know Pap if you hit 2 stones together you can make a fire. And I saw her trying it, well rather than having her smash a finger, I showed her to to use flint and steel. We made a couple small fires together, and the magic was gone nothing to fear just a tool to use

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Excellent job of teaching her to shoot. I believe many accidents could be avoided by just educating and taking the mystery out of firearms, for both kids and adults. I take it for granted that I grew up around them and hunting. It still amazes me how many people have never handled a firearm when it was something that we always had handy.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I agree with all, good job. I grew up in the city and never even thought about guns and rifles except on Rawhide or Gunsmoke. I didn't learn about guns until I was in the Army. Learned a lot in the Army, including respect for others.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
I taught all of my kids to shoot before they reached the age of 7. My oldest daughter was just 4 when she shot the 22 for the first time. My son on the other hand was so small that he could not hold the 22 rifle until he was almost 7. He was the smallest of the 5 children. He was a premie and was always short for his age. My youngest daughter took to shooting like she was born with a rifle in her hands. She can shoot the eyes out of gnat at 100 yards.

I am a firm believer in teaching children firearms safety and how to shoot as early as possible. If they learn that, there would be a lot less firearms related incidents.
Great story and I 100% agree with teaching children firearms SAFETY and as early as possible.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thanks for this, it reminds me of where I came from. My Dad taught me me first respect for a firearm and how to clean them. ( He was an LEO) then came how to handle and shoot them.
Lots of great memories of plinking pop cans with a single shot J.C Higgins .22.
That was over 55years ago, time flies I guess. Thanks again.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks for this, it reminds me of where I came from. My Dad taught me me first respect for a firearm and how to clean them. ( He was an LEO) then came how to handle and shoot them.
Lots of great memories of plinking pop cans with a single shot J.C Higgins .22.
That was over 55years ago, time flies I guess. Thanks again.
The J.C. Higgins bolt action 22 was my 1st rifle. My dad bought it for me as a Christmas present in 1961. That is the same rifle that I taught all of my children to shoot with. Since my son was the first of my children to have kids of his own, I passed that rifle on to him. He has taught his 2 oldest boys to shoot with that rifle and when the 3rd boy is old enough he will learn on it too.

That rifle cost my dad $11.95 for the rifle and $1.18 for two boxes of 22 bullets. There was no sales tax in Wisconsin back then. I passed that sales receipt on to my son along with the rifle. An interesting note about that rifle, it does not have a serial number. Back then, shotguns and 22 rifles did not have serial numbers.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
The J.C. Higgins bolt action 22 was my 1st rifle. My dad bought it for me as a Christmas present in 1961. That is the same rifle that I taught all of my children to shoot with. Since my son was the first of my children to have kids of his own, I passed that rifle on to him. He has taught his 2 oldest boys to shoot with that rifle and when the 3rd boy is old enough he will learn on it too.

That rifle cost my dad $11.95 for the rifle and $1.18 for two boxes of 22 bullets. There was no sales tax in Wisconsin back then. I passed that sales receipt on to my son along with the rifle. An interesting note about that rifle, it does not have a serial number. Back then, shotguns and 22 rifles did not have serial numbers.
I kinda wish I still had it, don't know what ever happened to it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My 1925 Winnchester Model 12 12ga sure has a serial #. :cool:
I stand corrected. Maybe I should have said some shotguns did not have serial numbers. I had a Winchester model 1897 shotgun that I gave to my son that had a serial number on it too.

I used to have an old single shot shotgun that was not a name brand and it did not have a serial number on it. I no longer have that shotgun so I cannot even take a picture of it to show.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
I know what you mean; I traded off my two best .22's when I was young and uninformed. Never got them back, but I now have replacements and enjoy them as much.