Warranty repair at dealer where you did not purchase the tractor.

Bodaway

Apr 10, 2021
Midwest
I was on the fence about where to put this question. I didn't know if it belonged in the repair section or in the new purchase section because this question is going to go into the purchasing decision for me.

I recently had a quote given to me at a dealership around an hour away. I'm in the market for a new M4D-071.

I have also been looking at tractors from dealers in surrounding states.

I got to wondering if my local dealer would have an issue doing warranty repair on a tractor that was purchased somewhere else, so I gave their service department a call. As an FYI the dealer giving the quote has a location that is only 20 mins away, so I called the service department of that location. Not that it matters they are owned by the same dealership, this one is a shorter drive for me.

The guy on the phone told me they would work on it, but if I did not buy it from them they would charge me a "document fee" of anywhere between $50 - $200 depending on the cost of the repair. I asked if this fee would be charged each time or only the first time. (I figured maybe there was a charge to get into their system the first time). But he said they would charge it every time.

Has anyone else experienced this type of charge for having warranty work done at a dealer where you didn't buy your tractor?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Plus the non-selling dealer just might have shop "scheduling" issues and you could very well be and stay at the bottom of the list. The old "roundtuit" thing.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I was on the fence about where to put this question. I didn't know if it belonged in the repair section or in the new purchase section because this question is going to go into the purchasing decision for me.

I recently had a quote given to me at a dealership around an hour away. I'm in the market for a new M4D-071.

I got to wondering if my local dealer would have an issue doing warranty repair on a tractor that was purchased somewhere else, so I gave their service department a call. As an FYI the dealer giving the quote has a location that is only 20 mins away, so I called the service department of that location. Not that it matters they are owned by the same dealership, this one is a shorter drive for me.

The guy on the phone told me they would work on it, but if I did not buy it from them they would charge me a "document fee" of anywhere between $50 - $200 depending on the cost of the repair. I asked if this fee would be charged each time or only the first time. (I figured maybe there was a charge to get into their system the first time). But he said they would charge it every time.

Has anyone else experienced this type of charge for having warranty work done at a dealer where you didn't buy your tractor?
If something goes wrong under warranty, it should be fixed, free of charge, regardless of where you bought it from IMO.

Greg

Reactions: 2 users

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
If I buy at Dealer A without discussions with Dealer B and take later take it to Dealer B for service, I would expect Dealer B to be appreciative of the business - it is new money for Dealer B (warranty work is a profit center for many dealerships).

If I get a price from Dealer A, but then buy from Dealer B because it is $200 cheaper than A, I wouldn't be surprised if Dealer A was pissy after the fact even though they are just "cutting off their nose to spite their face" on the warranty work.

A professional Dealer A wouldn't let this affect their service level as they will make money on the warranty work, other non-warranty work, ancillary sales to you, and the chance to build the relationship that will result (hopefully) in you buying from them next time.

I have a buddy who was part owner of a large car dealership and he said they make more money on service + later sales to loyal service customers than they do from the transactional customer who just buys once entirely based on price. I assume the same would be for tractor dealerships - maybe even more so as they have the follow-up implement sales too.

But generalities aside, I don't think I would have much interest in working with that particular service manager you are referring to if that is his starting attitude. Poor customer service is a deal-breaker for me.

Reactions: 1 users

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Sounds like a dilemma.

If the guy on the phone is just putting you on I would not have time for that nonsense. If he was speaking the truth, it would make me wonder what other fees and surprises will be added.

This is the kind of junk that drives corporate and region reps nuts. It makes the whole brand look bad.

Is it worth 40 minutes each way to avoid a bad dealer? Maybe the dealer's brother-in-law is killing the business without the dealer knowing about it. Whatever it certainly is a red flag for me.

Bodaway

Apr 10, 2021
Midwest
All, these are all great replies and I agree with most of what was said.

The unfortunate thing is, they have a lock down on the territory within a couple of hours of me so if I want to buy Kubota I would most likely have to deal with them in the future. They are sure making it hard to continue to consider Kubota as an option.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Document fee. What an ass. That would be the last time i considered using that business. Asshats.
Bingo.

I would bring that issue up with the Kubota regional service representative. If I was unable to contact that person (dealers make doing so difficult if not impossible), I would take it up with Kubota Customer Satisfaction.

SDT

Reactions: 3 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

As a franchised Kubota dealer, each dealer is contractually obligated to provide warranty work to any Kubota customer.

That said, they can make your life miserable and many do.

SDT

Bodaway

Apr 10, 2021
Midwest
One of the best things about social media like this is, it brings to light issues like this so that someone can make an informed decision.

It's great to see what others think before I plop down $60k on a tractor that should last me for a long time.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
All, these are all great replies and I agree with most of what was said.

The unfortunate thing is, they have a lock down on the territory within a couple of hours of me so if I want to buy Kubota I would most likely have to deal with them in the future. They are sure making it hard to continue to consider Kubota as an option.
I love the kubota I bought, but if I couldn't get respectful service within a reasonable driving range I would buy a Deere. This Ford/Chevy thing in the car/truck/tractor space is overrated. Kubotas and Deere are both solid machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bodaway

Apr 10, 2021
Midwest
I love the kubota I bought, but if I couldn't get respectful service within a reasonable driving range I would buy a Deere. This Ford/Chevy thing in the car/truck/tractor space is overrated. Kubotas and Deere are solid machines.
Deere is on the short list. I have two different dealerships (owned by different organizations) within half an hours drive.

The only downside to Deere is the bucket connection. I haven't fully researched that yet, but I do know the standard bucket is proprietary and I have a few skid steer quick connect implements.

thanks for the suggestion

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Deere is on the short list. I have two different dealerships (owned by different organizations) within half an hours drive.

The only downside to Deere is the bucket connection. I haven't fully researched that yet, but I do know the standard bucket is proprietary and I have a few skid steer quick connect implements.

thanks for the suggestion
I think they do have an option for a standard SSQA attachment now. If not, there is probably an aftermarket solution (just don't buy their bucket if you are going this route).

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I recently purchased my new Kubota from the closest dealer. I would not even consider buying cheaper from a more distant dealer and go closer for service when I need it. Buy close and service close and be happy....folks that are in business take things personally and you would too ..... if you bought on the cheap and came to me for service...I would make you wait too. Pay it forward it will come back to you ten fold. The dealer in question is your best option, and has the right to feel the way he does.....it's his passion.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One of the things one should do when shopping for ANY kind of vehicle is take a tour of the service dept of the selling-dealership. If a dealer gives a courteous and friendly “cooks tour” ...that shows pride of service-after-the-sale.... that’s a good thing. While there, ask the question: “Do you like to provide service on my older tractors also?” (You may not have an older tractor....but this may reveal their level of enthusiasm for service-work.)

I once ordered-in-advance a new Ford F-150 fully loaded in July, knowing the next years models would be arriving late August ....and knowing dealers love to be paid for vehicles they don’t have to floor-plan awaiting a buyer. I’ll name the dealership: Beal Ford in Bryan Texas. I dealt directly with the Owner...Larry Beal!
I was the chief pilot of the largest commercial employer in the county (i.e., not the university.)
The truck came-in and I picked it up happy as a clam.
The next month the power steering pump developed a leak. (As a former new car dealership tech/mech it was pretty obvious it was the front shaft seal of the pump.)
I called to schedule the warranty repair....and was told it’d be a week to ten days...the pump was a new style and would require special order. OK...I waited.
Two weeks later I called the day before the scheduled appointment and confirmed I’d drop off my truck the next morning....and also told them I’d be out of state on a flight for ten days... they’d have plenty of time to do the work. I did just that and caught a ride to the airport and took my flight out that morning to ATl.
Ten days later, I came home, caught a ride to the dealership, and found my truck sitting outside .... No new pump was installed (I looked first).... so I went into the Svc Dept and talked to the mech who had been assigned my truck. That mech was actually tinkering on his own personal antique P/U instead of any customer car..... he was installing some flexible fuel hoses, etc.
He told me that my steering pump was not leaking, that it was only a loose hose clamp that he’d tightened. :oops:
I went back to my truck and looked at the hose in question...and the clamp still had MUD in the clamp-screw-slot from when I’d driven it off-road the previous month. There was NO WAY a screwdriver had been placed into that clamp to be tightened. I went to the Service Dept Manager and complained and that Mgr told me that they would still have to wait for a special-order pump but would order it right away.
Something smelled fishy to me about it.... so when I got back to my office, I called their parts department and pretended to be an ordinary customer and asked if they had a steering pump available. They had TWO... IN STOCK.
Here’s where I screwed-up.
Instead of going to the parts window and grabbing a new pump and walking it into the Dealerships Main Managers’ office.... I went to his office without the pump.... and reminded him of the entire transaction from when I first ordered the truck to be built... with HIM PERSONALLY.... and I told him about the lying mechanic and the lying Svc Mgr .... and I told him about the TWO steering pump his parts dept had IN STOCK.
Larry Beal, Owner and Dealership Manager actually told me (and I Quote): “Well... I wouldn’t call them liars to their faces or you might find yourself in an ass-whipping fight!” Beal then told me he ”thought” those two pumps were special orders and could not be sold over-the-counter.
(I think that was B.S. as the part dept person I’d talked to over the phone had even quoted me the price. If i’d gone to the parts window FIRST... I’d have caught Mr. Beal himself in the falsehood As well.)
Again, that was BEAL Ford, Lincoln, Mercury in Bryan, Tx.

So much for “customer service”.

Before buying any kind of vehicle... take a cooks tour of the service dept and determine what their level of “service” might be, after the sale if you buy from them... or if you should bring your already-owned vehicle in for service.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
The guy on the phone told me they would work on it, but if I did not buy it from them they would charge me a "document fee" of anywhere between $50 - $200 depending on the cost of the repair.
There is no circumstance, no matter how inconvenient to myself, that I would spend my money at this establishment if this is the answer I got. Warranty work is work, and Kubota pays the dealers to do it, they aren't eating any of that cost.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the days of dealers acting foolish about non-selling dealer shenanigans are dwindling.

Speaking from a service department point of view, warranty work pays better than customer work now, so "we" (as a former tech) looked forward to warranty repairs. I personally never treated them any different than customer-pay, aside from 90% of them are easier. Kubota's done a pretty good job of improving their flat rate scheduling, AND warranty administration, particularly dealers that have gained premier status. There are certain bonuses and such that premier dealers get that others don't. So if the dealer you are looking at has the premier status on their window, or their website, you should be fine.

Now-with that said, if the service department is swamped (and a lot of them are from about May through November), if they have 10 repair jobs that are/were purchased at that dealer and one that didn't get bought there, they many times are going to give priority to "their" customers. But here is where folks can get into a pickle. If you didn't buy your product at a dealer, and you carry your equipment to that non-selling dealer and make demands and act like a redneck, I can almost guarantee you a backlog regardless of if the shop is really backed up or not. I never made a practice of it but it does happen. With that, you have to stay on them. At one point in my long career they hired a dedicated service manager (who was of questionable nature) and he did just that on occasion..."fake backlogs". If I got wind of it and usually I did because I was the senior at the dealer, I took care of it on my own-because I could and get away with it. Every aspect of it usually, as the service manager hated people going behind his back-but I didn't care. I had customers to take care of regardless of whether they purchased there or not. For any dealer personnel, something that always stuck in my mind was this: If you take care of your customer (regardless of whether they purchased there or not), they'll take care of you. I think that train of thought was part of the reason that dealer became as successful as it did. I am told that business has fallen off since I left, dunno, don't care at this point as it's in my history-a learning experience-and I can't change it. I do know that I get cals about 4-6 times a week from folks that were loyal, and they all want the same thing--for me to work on their stuff. And I do from time to time as my personal time and health allows.

As said in a previous post, they can't (by contract agreement) deny warranty work, but there is nothing in the contract that says they can't put you in the back of the line.

Best advice I can give is to stay tactful, don't act like a jerk, and you'll be fine. Just check in with them from time to time if they're really busy.

One of the major reasons I left that place was lack of scheduling. It was first come first served. If there were any appointments made it was generally for basic servicing, like an oil change-something that could be done in a few minutes. Both the other tech and myself had a VERY good idea how long certain jobs would take and there was absolutely no reason whatsoever we couldn't set up a schedule to help reduce backlogging. But the service manager, he refused to do it-as did the GM. New job, the scheduling is super simple, it works, and customers know pretty much how long it'll take and when their stuff is expected complete. Backlog? LOL. Backlog went from 2-4 weeks at the old job (from May thru November) to an hour or so, at the most. Why did I mention it? Lawn mowers. We worked on TONS of mowers, and I mean TONS. It was 82% of our service income. Lawn mower customers have a million reasons to be mad if they have to carry their stuff to the dealer, or have it picked up. All it takes is to tell them you're backlogged for one week, and then after 5 days goes by they come UNGLUED. But if you tell them expect it to be at the shop for 7 business days, and you get it done in 5, you (tech) are a hero. Better yet, if you can get it done in a day or less. The quicker the better. The grass don't stop growing when the mower's broke! General manager used to gripe because we put a mower in front of a tractor repair....LOL...what he didn't apparently realize is that you can lose a tractor sale by making a mower customer mad, but make a mower customer happy? He's liable (and likely) to buy other stuff that the dealer carries. Case in point, a guy I know, that I will call Dan. Dan and I met about 30 years ago when I first started working there. Dan bought a push mower. A $529 push mower (Deere 14SB). Dan took it home and he had an issue with one wheel not pulling, bought it back in a few hours. I was in between jobs and pulled the wheel off to replace a broken spring on the one wheel, and off he went-in 10 minutes time. I apologized for his having to bring the machine back, shook his hand, thanked him again for his business and off he went. My boss got a call from him, boss came back and said hey thanks for being good to him. Dan later bought a riding mower as he was aging and push mowing 3/4 of an acre was no longer excercise, rather a pain (literally). Then Dan came into some money a few years later, showed up and we spoke--he bought a M7040HDC to use around "the farm" (some land he bought on the river north of here). He was so impressed how well the dealer took care of him, he came back and bought a $47,000 boat/motor/trailer, and used the tractor to launch it at the farm. He never forgot about that push mower. That is why you take care of your customers. Dan and I have been in contact ever since I left, good guy-I'd consider him a friend.

Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
As a franchised Kubota dealer, each dealer is contractually obligated to provide warranty work to any Kubota customer.

That said, they can make your life miserable and many do.

SDT
Are all Kubota dealers required to honor the equine discount? The one I am dealing with said they don't.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got a Kubota flier in the mail today stating: Equine Affiliatiion Members get up to 20% off. visit (KubotaUSA.com/Equine-Offer).

Also hlave ar Farmer Veteran Coalition Members get an instant rebate, visit: KubotaUSA.com/Kubota-Cares.

this is a Kubota publication with the address: Kubota Marketing, c/o 1413 Rio Grande Ave. Fort Worth, TX. 76102

I think the dealer you're dealing with doesn't want you business!!

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
Have you given the local dealer a chance to price match? If he matched it then fine but if he doesn't the at least you have him the opportunity. If he wants your business he shu work ba deal