85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Jay,

I just bought a bx25D - I have been thinking the ROPS lighting too. NOT to the degree that you are approaching but a simple "clamp" on design. I too am a CAD designer, but rather that build it in CAD, I am going to build it from scratch. The ROPS as you know is fairly tall, I want to use the top 5" or so and place a "bar" or flat aluminum across that would bolt to the front and back and sandwich between the ROPS between the "bars", I am thinking of a small piece of rubber that would mate against the ROPS and the alum would bolt and squeeze together, I am thinking 2 4" LED lights forward and 1 mounted to the rear. thoughts?

Rivertrac

Equipment
B2620, LA364 Loader, RCK60-29B MMM, B2781 Blower, 48" KK Tiller,
Nov 17, 2011
Grand Rapids, MN
Very interesting thread in spite of a bit of flame. As for potential mounting methods, would high strength magnets be worth considering? I have used this method on a few of my projects with very good success. In fact we have a few of those type magnets holding a calendar on to the fridge which have to be slid to an edge before they can be removed. These came out of an old computer hard drive and are about a sq. inch in area and about 0.100 thick. Some of the larger and thicker ones can be downright dangerous if you are not careful.

chip812

Equipment
L35
Jul 9, 2013
Alabama
I like the idea of a ROPS mounted light design. And it doesn't have to be just for Kubota tractors either. There are lots of other brand tractors out there that have ROPS and are in need of something like this. Maybe it could be available in 'other colors'? Anyway, here is a suggestion (feel free to use or not). Worth exactly what you paid for it.

Attachments

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas
I like the idea of a ROPS mounted light design. And it doesn't have to be just for Kubota tractors either. There are lots of other brand tractors out there that have ROPS and are in need of something like this. Maybe it could be available in 'other colors'? Anyway, here is a suggestion (feel free to use or not). Worth exactly what you paid for it.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I have thought about splitting it this way, was trying to design it in a way that all of the interior wires running from the high power LEDs back to the driver modules would be hidden. From what I'm hearing the top mounted design might be favored and due to the range/size of different rops may need to be somewhat adjustable. I agree that it needs to "clamp" somehow, just trying to design something that will have a minimal amount of vibration and movement so the lights don't "flutter" with the movement of the machine.

Honestly I had kind of dropped this whole thing due to some of the backlash but I was at a trade show over the weekend and saw a bunch of new LEDs available, might need to get back on it.

chip812

Equipment
L35
Jul 9, 2013
Alabama
Don't give up... At the very least, pitch your idea to one (or some) of the after-market suppliers. Maybe they'll produce it. I'm not sure I like the idea of a top-mount. My ROPS has a canopy... :(

Edit: P.S. Isn't the ROPS the same profile all the way up and over? If so, then the end-user can mount it where ever they want... still works the same... just some extra wire will be involved... I imagine this will only have a limited pig-tail attached anyway (maybe a foot long)...

P.P.S. If mountable anywhere on the ROPS, there will need to be a way to adjust the beam direction (like car headlights are adjustable)... Additionally, if a focusing lens is available, that would be a good option so it can be switched from flood to spot...

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I fabricated a ROPS light bar for our BX25D. Its got a 20" single row led light in front that's adjustable and a tactical led strobe light in the rear with over 70 flash patterns. Its housed in the low profile module and it works well for me.

Last edited:

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas

Ordered the LEDs and the high power drivers from China this week. Sent the .stl files for the housing to be milled. Now it's all just hurry up and wait. Should have enough to assemble in a couple of weeks.

~Z

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
not as fancy as yours, but I will bet the light output of these is no less bright!

Attachments

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN