WANTED, Input on New Design

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas
OK, so by trade I'm a designer and have done a fair amount of industrial and product design with an emphasis in lighting. I've been intrigued by everyone's posts about lighting a ROPS and it seems there's a hundred different ways to do it all with different price tags. What I'm proposing is to do a small production run of an "all in one" ROPS lighting system but I'm wondering what exactly people want? I know what I'm thinking I want but two heads are better than one, four better than two, and with input from you all I'm sure we can come up with something incredible.

Here's what I'm thinking to start. It needs to be super easy assembly, one or two pieces, something that ideally just bolts on. It needs to be rugged, I'm hoping maybe milled out of a block of aluminum that can also act as a heat sink for the high power LEDs, and I'd do them up anodized so no painting and no scratches. I want to build in the LED Drivers, the fuse panel, and all the switches to operate a series of lights so only two wires need to be connected to the battery directly.

Right now I'm thinking solid white lights both forward and backward, amber lights that will flash or strobe possible forward or even to the side, and a down light for the operator and rear PTO. I'll post pics of the computer model when I get something drawn but I want your ideas and feedback, what else would you want it to do?

Lastly, if something like this existed, would you want one? Order one? How much do you think is a fair price for something like this? I know that commercially available LED light bars get quite expensive, what if this option was more affordable and designed specifically for your 'Bota?:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He dives into shark infested waters!:p

The ambers should blink in forward, side and rear.

Price would be dependent on size and wattage and features.
Are you going to get your raw products strait from the manufacture?
The shipping time from china varies from 2 to 4 weeks.
Buy bulk and have more than one source for your raw products.

Older tractor owners need different options over newer tractor owners.
Switches and wiring will be different on different models and years.

You will also want to make sure that your design does not interfere with the warranty on a new tractor, safe operation of the tractor and operational safety of the ROPS.
Nothing sinks an idea, person or company faster than being sued for any of these situations.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
So your taking our ideas and running with them to put something into production and make a profit for yourself off our ideas and input???

And we'd want to help you why??!?!

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas
So your taking our ideas and running with them to put something into production and make a profit for yourself off our ideas and input???

And we'd want to help you why??!?!
Eric you misunderstood. I'm going to build something like this for MY tractor. I have a friend with a mill who has done some amazing work for me in the past and I think I can get him to do more than one if the interest is there. I'll be ordering all the components factory direct from China and assembling them all here into the housings. As was mentioned, the larger quantity (bulk) the order is the more affordable the components get. I just wondered if anyone else would be interested in something like this and what would be the ideal to have incorporated into it. As far as "profiting" off of it, I don't imagine there is much margin in it but if I've taken the time and investment to design and develop it, put up the capital to purchase all the components and materials, and assembled everything myself, then yes I think that is worth something. You go broke pretty quick doing nothing but Charity. If the end price is beyond what you think it's worth then I've got a simple solution for you! I'm not going to make you buy one. ;) I was really looking at just doing something for the overall larger community since I was already going to do one for myself. If this is the reception that it's going to get maybe I shouldn't waste my time.

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas
He dives into shark infested waters!:p

The ambers should blink in forward, side and rear.
Forward and rear are not a problem at all, I'm trying to keep the clearances of the housing very tight and may look for a different LED type than the high intensity for a side flasher. Would there be any interest in being able to select the color? Red and blue as well as amber?

Price would be dependent on size and wattage and features.
I'm hoping to keep the entire thing under about the $200 mark. The LEDs are about $6-8 each and the Drivers are another $16 or so. Obviously, the more LEDs I put into it, the more expensive it's going to be.

Are you going to get your raw products strait from the manufacture?
The shipping time from china varies from 2 to 4 weeks.
Buy bulk and have more than one source for your raw products.
I work directly with factories in Shenzhen to do the prototyping for my designs. I can purchase things directly MUCH cheaper than through any retailer or supplier. As long as it's an in-stock item I can get anything in three days DHL through Hong Kong. Shipping is expensive so if I am going to build more than one I'd like to get all the components at the same time and just pay shipping once.

Older tractor owners need different options over newer tractor owners.
Switches and wiring will be different on different models and years.
This is where I could really use some help, I own a BX2350 but I'm really not familiar with most of the other models. I know all the dashes, switches, etc. are different on every unit and that was the reason for wanting to put everything in one self contained housing. Essentially they all would be exactly the same, would only require a hard wire connection to the battery and that wiring would come with the unit.

You will also want to make sure that your design does not interfere with the warranty on a new tractor, safe operation of the tractor and operational safety of the ROPS.
Nothing sinks an idea, person or company faster than being sued for any of these situations.
I was planning a unit that would "clamp" around the ROPS, no drilling or modification of the ROPS in ANY way. Trying to keep the fit really tight and compact so it's not hanging out, down, or above the ROPS. The battery wire can just be zip tied to the ROPS and run down to a direct battery mount.

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas

This might be one option, one large unit that would mount to the top. The center LEDs would be wide angle white and the angled side LEDs would be narrow angle amber. It would make for a more expensive unit but would be very easy to mount.

The other option would be to split it into two units, a little more like what everyone currently does with lights on each side. The KUBOTA label could be replaced with a side amber flasher or just be left plain.

Here you can see the inside/back of the housing. Two simple rocker switches, one for the front LED and one for the rear. I'd have to widen this type of housing to get two LEDs into it (white and amber) or possibly look into using a full color LED that would allow you to select the color and/or flash rate. Might even be able to put that into a remote control.

Doing the "pair" method you would have more options as far as adjusting the height and you could run just one or both. It might even be possible to make both operate together even though there would only be switches on one of them.

Thoughts? Constructive criticism is always welcome!:) Petty swipes will be ignored. :rolleyes:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I love the clean, compact design, but as a former Toolmaker, looks pricey to machine in small quantities..... also, can you get enough light from what appears to be a very small (proportionally) LED unit?
(I'm used to offroad units with 300-700 LEDS)

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I like your idea so far. I would like something that the amber lights flash when the treactor is running with enough light that they are seen during a bright day in random pattern front, side and rear. I would also like the clear lights to have some spot as well as flood patterns on front and rear and some clear lights to the side. Just my two cents

I also see you had an idea for the uprights that would be cool for the turn signals.

I have a BX24 what are your plans for switching

As far as cost I'm a married guy.................So take that for what is is worth :(

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep basically what I'm hearing is you want our ideas and input and if there is enough interest into the product you'll make it available for purchase and sell it to us members here on OTT and to whomever else has money to buy the lighting system.

Word it how ever you want but that's what I'm getting from this entire post.

It's alot more in-depth then just for your tractor!

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I think the side post versions can be done for about $60 each. I think thats on par with some of the bolt on solutions and it would be much more versatile.
The side mounts with no rear facing light would not be enough to attract me, also with no directional adjustment.......? not interested.

Do your homework..............wholesale the LEDs for cost.

Find someone with a printer and have a couple of housings made up in plastic............plastic is the way to go anyway.

There is only one member here that will let go of that kind of cash, the common farmer type will not and if he does if will be because the light emitted with be beyond impressive.

I don't expect impressive for $60.

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
I made a mount for 4-23 watt led lights on my ROP. I made them easily removable by mounting a plug with 2 switches so I can light front and/or back. I also use the same power for my 25 gal sprayer for my driveway. I have plenty of light and use about the same power as my tractor headlights.
Success to you in your endeavors.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
This, is precisely what I do for a living. I deal with emergency lighting, electronics, and equipment. Short of saying much (like 20 tears in the industry, started my own co 5 yrs ago manufacturing electronic interfaces, modules, and circuits), I'll cut to the chase. Most of the $ to be made is the mount. Try to design a universal housing that can accommodate a wide variety of lights on the market (multiple holes) A successful design will get you (and customers) amounting system & base that is inherently universal, yet look like it was made for that particular tractor. Sometimes, it's necessary to make two universal housing if there are two very distinctive ROPS.

With this approach, you can offer the housing and accessorize it with off the shelf lights that already exists or direct your customer to provide their own.

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel on lights. The market's saturated with them (I KNOW this!)

If you need further assistance, hit me up anytime.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know I kind of have to go with Eric on this. I mean hay I have this idea how can you guys improve on it, the underlining thing sounds like hey guys you do the R&D on it and I ll take it and run... Maybe so maybe no, I don't know,, But that's sure how it comes off. There is no one in here that will not help someone if they can. But I'm drawing the line at R&D,,
Now R&B that's another story:D

JayhawkerWinery

Equipment
BX2350
Mar 29, 2013
Tonganoxie, Kansas
The side mounts with no rear facing light would not be enough to attract me, also with no directional adjustment.......? not interested.

Do your homework..............wholesale the LEDs for cost.

Find someone with a printer and have a couple of housings made up in plastic............plastic is the way to go anyway.

There is only one member here that will let go of that kind of cash, the common farmer type will not and if he does if will be because the light emitted with be beyond impressive.

I don't expect impressive for $60.

The side mount type has both forward and rear facing and the LEDs are 120 degree beam angle so they will cover most of the side too. There really isn't adjustment (and that's a very good point/suggestion I hadn't thought about) I get the LEDs factory direct at cost, they are a few bucks each. I had considered plastic (and have access to 3D printing) but was worried about how impact resistant it would be not to mention I would still need to print around a set of nuts in order to be able to bolt the pieces together. For about the same price I can get the aluminum milled and I figured it would be a lot more rugged.

As far as light and intensity, the PIAA posted use two 2W LEDs totaling 6000k and have a 20 degree beam angle. The LEDs I'm using are 10W, 6500k and are 120 degree beam angle. They are roughly 500 lumens each if being driven properly. They should be much brighter and wider angle than the PIAA and no where near $400.

I have a basic set of components here, should run about $16 total for the side mount type. If I can get the aluminum milled for around $50 I'd still be way under what I could buy a pre-made housing for to put in my own lights. Adding a hole or thread and maybe an accessory wire is a great suggestion, whether you would want to screw in your own lights or run a pump or sprayer, etc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WOW!:eek: There are some stuffed shirts on this forum!:mad: And I'm being nice in my wording!;)
What is wrong with someone throwing ideas out at you for your input???:confused:
If you think your ideas or input should only serve you... Then please keep them to yourself and let the others that have positive or constructive negative input have a say.:cool:

I for one really like to give input to anyone on a "better or different" way of going about something that will benefit them or maybe even myself.
I also like seeing what others have come up with as it feeds me in my ideas!

This country was founded on the ideas of entrepreneurship!

JayhawkerWinery, Go for it!
I posed some harsh questions and statements to you and you came back at me with proper and well researched and honest answers! I think your on the right track. And I for one love the design and would gladly pay for your designs.

I do a ton of work with LED's also and there are so many different possibilities that can be done with them!
I like the idea of the aluminum much better than the plastic for the heat sink ability! and yes they would be more rugged.

I like the flood light aspect of them! I'm not doing 60 MPH and have to see 1000 FT in front of me but I would like to be able to see every thing I can around me!

I would like the ability to wire them to a dash panel to be able to control them. A simple toggle switch work mine now but an upgrade would be nice!