Vented L3901 front axle.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Did they delete it on the L01s? I have the previous L series and it’s got a vent, the hose is tied up with the P/S return hose and it comes up to a bracket that holds the P/S pressure line that’s bolted to the intake (I realize the common rail Ls are different set up though)

0871865B-9DF1-4395-BCAB-3CA55E3C4974.jpeg

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when the tractor is on a hillside how are ya gonna keep oil from spewing out? Also when bouncing around while doing normal tractor stuff, how ya gonna keep that area dry? That's why kubota ran a hose up high on a lot of older models. On many of those, I saw TONS of them with dirt dobber nests in the hose, so they'd build pressure. Can't say the pressure caused any issues other than drenching you with oil when ya pull the check plug out on a hot day. Assuming of course it had oil in it. Majority of them didn't have enough.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I would much prefer a vent with a hose into the engine bay. Water crossings, rain, off camber operation- the hose prevents moisture from getting into the axle. I made one for my 790, and I bought an axle vent to cap it. It's working great.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Trying this vent plug out. See how it works. Not supposed to be an issue with axle not vented but I use tractor -35 to 30c so it may be a benefit over time for leaking seals.
Don’t plan any 2 foot deep water crossings. It may seep on a big hill. It’s not goona be perfect but in the long run it may help the seals by not pressuring up the axle. It’s just for my tractor. Do what u wish for urs.

Attachments

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
GM uses a similar capped breather on a lot of their light duty rear axles and they are prone to sticking in both the open and closed positions.

I switched to a traditional barb and hose style setup with my 2014 Cadillac ATS which is known for leaking axle seals. When it was a couple of years old, I was checking the fluid level during an oil change and heard a distinct hiss when I loosened the check plug, something that shouldn't happen with a properly operating vent. Stuck in either position is bad and particularly with ag equipment in a dirty environment when it will suck in air/moisture/dirt past the seals when it cools after a day of work.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 user