Varmint Eradication / Deterrence

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a Pole Barn with a concrete floor. The building has been there since 92. When I bought the place 2.5 years ago, I noticed there was an outside corner where varmints had dug a hole under the concrete and I assume they have set up a nice hang out under my floor.

Over the past few years I would fill in the hole and place rocks over the entrance. Sometimes months would go by with no activity but eventually, the hole would be dug back out. This year ( with many of the big projects completed ) I've stepped up my game. I trapped and relocated a big wood chuck and used Quickcrete to block off the entrance.

Well, some critter just dug a new entry point outside of the line of defense and has set up shop again. ( not sure how they even know the opportunity exist but they do ) I have the trap out there now but would like to figure out a way to deter them in the first place. I suspect wood chucks, possum and skunks as the likely violation candidates.

I have not tried scents or pepper and the like. Any advice?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I buried fence wire that went up under the siding and several feet out from the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Probably wood chucks. Constant trapping. My neighbor has relocated something like 40 from under her barn.

Keeping the area near the foundation mowed short and string trimmed supposedly helps. Less cover to attract the young ones to start a new home. I do an area near a run in shed, but still occasionally one will show up. Hopefully the concrete and bare gravel i have near my new polebarn will keep them away.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have a Pole Barn with a concrete floor. The building has been there since 92. When I bought the place 2.5 years ago, I noticed there was an outside corner where varmints had dug a hole under the concrete and I assume they have set up a nice hang out under my floor.

Over the past few years I would fill in the hole and place rocks over the entrance. Sometimes months would go by with no activity but eventually, the hole would be dug back out. This year ( with many of the big projects completed ) I've stepped up my game. I trapped and relocated a big wood chuck and used Quickcrete to block off the entrance.

Well, some critter just dug a new entry point outside of the line of defense and has set up shop again. ( not sure how they even know the opportunity exist but they do ) I have the trap out there now but would like to figure out a way to deter them in the first place. I suspect wood chucks, possum and skunks as the likely violation candidates.

I have not tried scents or pepper and the like. Any advice?
In situations like you described I think working dogs could be helpful…dachshunds or terriers could make short work of that.

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Castor Oil - you can buy a jug, and then mix your own treatment with water and dish soap. It will work, but it will require monthly reapplication depending on conditions.

Since you relocated (versus terminated) the past offender, this treatment might be a better match for you.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Search YouTube. People hookup lawnmowers "ie small engines with no emissions restrictions" to basically hoses, and dump the carbon monoxide in the hole. Get a little smoke in the exaust and you can see all the other exits and cover them. 30 minutes and they are probably all dead.

Gonna try this, and give it a go. I've tried traps and poison and I just lose the battle. Hopefully this works.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Since you relocated (versus terminated) the past offender, this treatment might be a better match for you.
Thanks for the suggestions. While I did relocate the last offender, no form of management is off the table. Relocation was the easiest at the time and seemed like the thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
45g barrel of water and try to teach the varmit 'swimming lessons'.
relocation is NOT the option, they'll be back.......

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
From the clay/plastic explosive to the rifle with flashlight…Carl has always been one of my hero’s…Maybe take a page from Carl…

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Never let a crisis go to waste.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to slide one of these past the Finance Committee.

rightcqbelite.jpg

Then, if that doesn't work try one of these

maxresdefault.jpg

Then go the poison/castor oil route....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users