Vacuum Sealer Recommendations?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ford - thanks. I may end up buying something like that holder/cutter thing.

Honestly had some fun making mine, but it might not work as well as others. Time will tell.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I found a website outofair.com that sells stronger and less expensive vacuum rolls and bags - also free shipping. I just ordered their bags as when I checked the price per bag compared to the cost of a portion of a roll to make that bag the cost was about the same per bag. They have been working very well for me.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Foodsaver here. The grocery stores put their "select" items on sale to get you in the door. Buy um and then go to the next store. I split them into two person servings and vacuum them.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I never considered buying a 40 pound box of chicken breasts. Any thought on the best place to buy that much chicken ?
Jimmy - - we have a couple local Amish/Mennonite (?) grocery markets that sell bulk chicken, sausage, pork, bacon, etc.

My wife gets text notifications when they have sales. Could get some meats at 50% of grocery stores price in bulk.

With COVID and supply issues, we’ve regularly gotten 40 pound cases of boneless chicken breasts and also a couple cases of thighs.

I would vacuum seal them in portions we’d use and put them in the freezer.

Last edited:

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
It's been a long while since I started this thread.

I've liked the little sealer we bought, but it's obviously served it's purpose.

I now know more of what I'm looking for.

As I said earlier, commercial or commercial-type stuff is much better in my book.

I bought this.

Go big or go home.

Weston 65-0901-w Pro-3500 Commercial Grade Vacuum Sealer, 15" bar, Sta – Rodriguez Butcher Supply (homebutcher.com)
that thing is sweet! I’ve been looking for one as well. I buy my meat and chicken 20-50lbs at a time and split it with my mom. So much cheaper this way

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
that thing is sweet! I’ve been looking for one as well. I buy my meat and chicken 20-50lbs at a time and split it with my mom. So much cheaper this way
Thanks. I’ll see how it goes. It seems to be a solid unit

We just got a little one to try. Like it, and use it a lot. It can’t keep up with my needs. That’s fine, that’s what I bought and for.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Thanks. I’ll see how it goes. It seems to be a solid unit

We just got a little one to try. Like it, and use it a lot. It can’t keep up with my needs. That’s fine, that’s what I bought and for.
keep us posted. That thing looks really nice

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Jimmy - - we have a couple local Amish/Mennonite (?) grocery markets that sell bulk chicken, sausage, pork, bacon, etc.

My wife gets text notifications when they have sales. Could get some meats at 50% of grocery stores price in bulk.

With COVID and supply issues, we’ve regularly gotten 40 pound cases of boneless chicken breasts and also a couple cases of thighs.

I would vacuum seal them in portions we’d use and put them in the freezer.
Thanks, I will make some local inquiries.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I just checked with Uncle who spent 60 yrs in Alaska and shot over twenty moose and lots of caribou Plus dressed and froze lots of pink and king salmon.
He said a store in Anchorage sold knives and vac sealers and they sold only one brand of vac sealer which at 82 he still uses today. Magic Vac. He said he paid $400. many yrs ago and its made in Italy.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Got the Sealer delivered today. Big gash in the box(es), extended into the styrofoam packing, but no damage to the unit.

Mounted a 11" x 50' roll on the back. Only sealed a couple bags, and vacuum sealed a venison roast that my little one didn't seal well.

Just to make sure it works.....

First impressions on the Weston Pro 3500 so far:
  • Thing is a friggin' tank....bet it weighs 25 pounds with a roll mounted.
  • Seems real solid in its construction.
  • While it's Stainless, I'll probably leave the white plastic film on it....
  • I looked at dimensions (not close :oops: ) when I ordered it. 22"w x 18"d x 8"h with a roll on it. It's big.
  • It has a 15" wide sealing surface. I was finding many times 11" wasn't quite enough. I think 15 is a big plus. Rolls are more expensive, but I know I'll be getting some wide rolls to have when prudent.
  • The sealer has a double-bead. Seems MUCH better than the one we have. When I re-sealed the venison roast, there was a small fold in the bag. The sealer effectively sealed through the small fold. Good feature.
  • The vacuum pump sounds stout, and vacuums quickly. Gets to the "stop," and seals. You can hear it "release" after the sealing cycle is done.
  • Concern: The vacuum chamber is probably 3" above the counter. A surface to elevate the bag and food would probably be handy. I'm thinking a 2" steam table pan upside down would work....
  • It easily holds a 50' roll. Could handle a 100' roll(?), if they make them. I see many can only hold 20' rolls.
  • The roll cutter/holder frame seems pretty solid.
  • Downside, expensive. Cost more than my first two vehicles, combined! 😲
  • All in, I'm happy with it. I knew it was going to be big. Should be. Will take some to figure where it's going to be stored.....
  • Was actually happy it was as heavy as it is.

• E3E38323-8D7B-47A5-8B0A-AFEE68457702.jpeg

• C6CD6470-66DD-4390-8456-4EF90E305CBF.jpeg

• 56D5F3A3-F1A5-4B94-B33B-2D2A0BC61BDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That thing takes more counter space than my chamber unit. All I can say is once you go chamber, you will never go back. I am glad to be away from the textured bags.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm an ol' farm boy. We always have had enough in the freezers to survive a long while.

Like many, we're storing more freezer stuff than we used to for longer periods. We're buying more 40-pound cases of chicken, have a quarter of beef in the freezer, always bought haddock in 10 pound boxes, etc.

We have a 16 cu. ft. chest "meat freezer", and a 19 cu. ft. upright for veggies, breads, etc....

We used to have 5 bodies here, but down to 2, unless college boy is around. That's not often.

Trying to reduce loss/damage now that it's just 2 of us.

I know many here use vacuum sealers for the same reasons.....

What do you have (make/model), what do you like/dislike about it?

Wat size bags does it take? (Realized some only take small bags?) We often freeze stuff in 2 gallon zip lock freezer bags, so limited to a quart-size isn't good.....

What would you do differently if you bought another tomorrow?

I know absolutely nothing about them...so don't think you'll insult my intelligence, as I have none...just ask my wife...:cool:

I used to joke a 1/2 beef was barely frozen before it was gone.......;)
Foodsaver system is good, and is cost effective,!
We have used it for years.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That thing takes more counter space than my chamber unit. All I can say is once you go chamber, you will never go back. I am glad to be away from the textured bags.
True. Not adverse to a chamber unit at all. I did go back and look at chamber units again, and yours specifically.

Honestly, it’s bigger and heavier than I anticipated, even though I did look at dimensions. Oh well. No buyer’s remorse, so far

I’ve used it each day since I got it, and so far it’s working great.

Hoping that experience continues.

Last edited:

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Replaced my Food Saver FM5400 which I've had 5 years with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X3SVWY6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
The Food Saver was a PITA to operate, used way more bag than necessary because the sealing/vacuum chamber was so high, and if you didn't hold your mouth just right it would neither vacuum nor seal. The MagicVac is a much better and easier to use unit. Got mine on sale for $200.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have a Foodsaver FS3196. It doesn't take up too much counterspace and holds a 25' roll of 11" bag internally. However, I hardly use the bulk roll. It also has the handheld doohicky and I really like the reusable zip-lock style bags for things like cold cuts and cheese. They even work well for fragile stuff like cookies and crackers, provided one doesn't pull a hard enough vacuum to turn them into crumbs. Open the zip, take what you need, reclose the zip and vacuum. The zip-lock style bags can be washed out, dried and reused indefinitely. No waste.