Utility bucket

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Got another leak. 80 year old black iron pipe crosses under the driveway in a half mile line. Of course happens in the worst time.

Studying bucket designs especially for working around utilities. Unbolted the teeth from the 12” B26 bucket. Has a flat cutting bar. Hope less chance of hooking the line when uncovering and causing collateral damage. Their are some specialty buckets made just for this type work. This part of driveway is part of the 300 year old wagon road that used rocks and clay to fill ruts. Tree lined in the woods so there is going to be roots.

Plan is to uncover both the line on sides. Cut. Ditch and remove the old line. Thread the two ends. SS couplings. PVC pipe inside 4” corrugated plastic drain pipe. Couple of bags of sackcrete, left in the bag, on the pipe on the ditch side.

Several repairs over decades on this line. Some point will need to replace.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
What size is the black iron pipe, I assume it's for potable water. Is the driveway concrete. Consider rolls of poly pipe, use a trencher and trench parallel to the old, connect ends and abandon toe old pipe in place. Pipe is getting any cheaper! When replacing consider pressure drop. Another thought is to drill a new well closer to your needs.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
What size is the black iron pipe, I assume it's for potable water. Is the driveway concrete. Consider rolls of poly pipe, use a trencher and trench parallel to the old, connect ends and abandon toe old pipe in place. Pipe is getting any cheaper! When replacing consider pressure drop. Another thought is to drill a new well closer to your needs.
3/4”. Can’t change position of spring. 1/2 mile and 275’ elevation change of main line.

A trencher is more efficient than backhoe for long runs. Not too good for repairs.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally wouldn't use PVC for the repair, poly would be a much better choice as it's flexible.
And threading the old iron pipe in the ground, wow you are a determined person.
Threading old pipe on a bench is a chore but in a trench it's a really work out.
They do have thread less repair fittings for instances just like this.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I really like PEX, but poly will hold up much better with rock, as it has a much thicker wall.
I can't stand Poly. I've had to dig up my main water line three times due to leaks. 3ft down, all by hand. Now since I have the BX23s, it probably won't happen again. 🤫

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can't stand Poly. I've had to dig up my main water line three times due to leaks. 3ft down, all by hand. Now since I have the BX23s, it probably won't happen again. 🤫
If you don't use compression fittings then it will leak at the fittings.
The old style barb fittings suck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
3/4”. Can’t change position of spring. 1/2 mile and 275’ elevation change of main line.

A trencher is more efficient than backhoe for long runs. Not too good for repairs.
It's excellent for repairs if you have a back hoe on the other end. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Barb fittings work fine for poly pipe schedule 40 are the best brass ones, don't like to come back apart. The trick is to allow the pipe to cool before tightening clamps so they don't "sink" into the pipe. Also double clamp in opposing directions. I deal with it every day. maybe underground is different but I don't get leaks replacing pressure tanks using the above method

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
kinda curious as to why you haven't replaced 100% of that 80 year old black iron pipe after so many 'patches' ?

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
kinda curious as to why you haven't replaced 100% of that 80 year old black iron pipe after so many 'patches' ?
It’s getting close to being replaced. With trees growing, roads there is always maintenance. Been doing it for 50 years. That’s only half of buried lines. Tough terrain to dig. Do have options. New 1” pvc line laid where 1/2mile underground electricity was run that I could possibly use or tie in to utility water.