Using Cruise Control - Yikes!

L3700SU

Equipment
MX5800 HST w/1065FEL & teeth, WOODS PRD72 finish mower, Bauma Stumpblaster
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
I decided to try out the cruise control the other day mowing. It's great, saves the leg on the hydro pedal all the time. Got a little complacent when I headed toward the garage and forgot it was on. Dang near ran through the side of the garage. Scared the crap out of me thinking for a second 'Why isn't this thing slowing down?' Yikes, got to pay attention. LOL!:eek:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My wife who never driven stick almost did that last week with our old tractor. Good brakes on it thankfully, and she stalled it out. She forgot she should also depress the clutch...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I decided to try out the cruise control the other day mowing. It's great, saves the leg on the hydro pedal all the time. Got a little complacent when I headed toward the garage and forgot it was on. Dang near ran through the side of the garage. Scared the crap out of me thinking for a second 'Why isn't this thing slowing down?' Yikes, got to pay attention. LOL!:eek:
Does CC automatically disengage if you hit the clutch or brake?

I wish my M59 had cruise - I found reference to a cruise control input in the service manual and am considering adding it to my machine if possible.

L3700SU

Equipment
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
Does CC automatically disengage if you hit the clutch or brake?

I wish my M59 had cruise - I found reference to a cruise control input in the service manual and am considering adding it to my machine if possible.
I just put my foot back on the hydrostatic foot pedal and pushed back and it disengaged. My MX doesn't have a clutch and I didn't check if the brake pedal disengages it. The handle is right beside the seat, just forgot I had it on. The handle basically works like the foot pedal but doesn't come back to neutral on its own.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Brake pedal disengages the cruise control.

L3700SU

Equipment
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
Brake pedal disengages the cruise control.
Thanks, didn't know. I'm still a little confused since the brake pedals were on the right on my L3700 and are now on the left on my MX. Always use the hydro pedal to stop. :confused:

L3700SU

Equipment
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
My wife who never driven stick almost did that last week with our old tractor. Good brakes on it thankfully, and she stalled it out. She forgot she should also depress the clutch...
At least she got her stopped! :eek:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The CC on my L4060 disengages with the brake, or pressing the reverse side of the hst pedal.
I don’t use it much, mostly when I mow off a 5 acre building lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I have knee problems and used to love the CC as without if I mowed for a few hours my knee would ache. On day I was mowing in some very tall grass/weeds and ran over a 5’ mobile home type anchor. It must have been the perfect storm where the front tire ran over the screw type bottom of the anchor and when it did it lifted the head up right under my leg. Now the anchor was at a 45 degree angle and the moving tractor was driving it up my leg. Wouldn’t have been so bad except someone had cut off the top of the anchor so that basically now a ½” metal rod was trying to pierce my leg. It was on the right side so had lifted my leg to where I couldn’t hit the HST pedal. One of the few times where not wearing a seat belt was able to save me as I was able to move just enough to the side that the anchor just basically tore my pants and tore off some skin before I had enough sense to hit the cruise off. If I had the seat belt on I’m afraid it may have gone straight thru my leg. So now I don’t use it unless I’m in an area I know I have already mowed before.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I have a 3901. The cruise should release with a touch of the brakes- Both peddles locked it says in my manual. However it has to be adjusted correctly. If not it won't work like you expect in a hurry.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Now the million dollar question... how do I retrofit cruise control to the M59? Do I need a special module or is it just a switch I need to add?

Service manual refers to cruise control in several spots but the option wasn’t available when I bought the machine.

Dealer is useless and unable to answer this question.