Used BX25 Things to Look For???

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
After a year of asking the wife gave me the go ahead to get a used tractor. I have spent the last month trying to decide if I wanted a BX23, 26, 0r 25 series. I have decided on the BX25 with BH since I think it will best suit my needs. The local dealer ship has 3 used units currently and I have my eye on one. 2011 model with 678 hours on it for $13,500. I will go finalize the deal on Wednesday if they still have it but is there anything that I really need to look out for in regards to the BX25? I know all used units have quirks but this is my first tractor purchase and would like to be as educated as possible for things to look for.

Thank you in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Reeko,

Glad to have you here at OTT - nice choice on the tractor, what other units did the local dealer have on the lot? The 25 will be an excellent choice.

Have you locked in your deal - I would think you could squeeze out a little more from your dealer on that '11 model. This a cash sale or finance?

Whatever you do - sit on it and operate it!!! The backhoe will take a learning curve, and the FEL will take some also.

As for things to look for, first see if the zerks have been greased......that will be a good indication that the PO did a good job keeping up with the machines maintenance.
WITH that many hours - demand that your dealer do a total change of all fluids and filters unless he can show you that at 600 they were done. If not done - have him place S-UDT 2 in the hydraulics.

Pop the top on the radiator - stuff nice and green? Oil levels all correct? Dont forget the front axle.

Ask for all records. Look at all the hoses, metal and rubber. Look at the cutting edge on the FEL, raise the FEL to the highest level, look at the paint under the bucket, a slightly used bucket will have lots of paint there, a good ol used bucket will have less. Look at the teeth on the hoe, are they real dull? or do they still have a nice 1/8 front flat edge.

Check the starting when cold, DO not let the dealer start it for you and then you get on......you do it - smoke? white? none? Check the outriggers for movememt (run up the rpms) Run the engine through the ranges, from idle to WOT throttle once warm.Run the hoe through it's paces too - be careful on the swing, go slow there. Check the air filter and radiator filter while the hood is up.

Others will chime in on other things to look for here in while.

WHEN you get it, ask for a short term warranty....ask for a year, says no, go 6 months....etc.....

send us pictures when you get the new toy home!:D:)

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
Good info. I'll check all of these. It was at Barlows in Somerset, Ky. He had about 20 used units all total.

I did look at the bucket and BH and 90% of the paint was still there. They said that a local guy has bought three BX from him over the years and just moves a mower deck to the new one so that is why the 600+ hrs.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Wow that looks super clean. You can tell the FEL and BH haven't really even been worked. So, for you the most important thing to look for on a machine that has really only been used for mowing will be HST fluid, coolant condition and leakdown on the 3pt (which is what raises and lowers the MMM). The only stress mowing really puts on is heat under heavy load.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Reeko -

This is a BIGGIE!! - -

Get under it, and make sure the HST cooling fan has all its fins. It's a notorious repair for a $20 part.

It's right under the seat, above and a little forward the mid-PTO. The fan is white plastic, and it gets stripped of its fins if a twig pushes up into it.

Also, while there, look at the first fuel filter. Look clean?

Check for drips, leaks, etc. while down there.

The HST filter, right next to the mid-PTO, should be some color other than dark grey - that's the factory color. If so, did someone write a # of hours on it? (I do when I change them)

Does it have the 3 point hitch upper/lower links and lift arms? They are a $300 item if you need to buy them. Not sure if they are standard with a new 25 or 25D, but since it has a BH, you may not think you'll want to use the 3pt, until you want to use the 3pt.........

Also - just for giggles - price a new one. I think Kubota is still working on their 0%-60 month deal. You can get implements with the 0% as well.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Apologies for the poor picture, but this is what you want to see intact. Maybe 7 or 8" in diameter. Have to split some of the BX tractors to replace it!!:eek:

My BX2360 has a little skid plate protecting the fan, other guys will put a more protective unit on from BXPanded, Bro-tek, or recycled street signs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
Thanks for the info. Saw this after I went today. Turns out the used unit is a 12 and not an 11. Appears to be a good clean unit. Almost no paint off of the front bucket at all. Grease fittings in the BH looked a little dry but it had hardly been used.

Just Chits and giggles I asked about a new one and was blown away. Basically I can get a new one with a 12" post hole auger for about $3500 more before tax. Pair that with the 0% financing and it is hard to say no to new.

Wife gave me the go ahead to get a new one so most likely will go back tomorrow and work out the deal for the new unit.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I wound up with a new one as well, good news is if you need to get rid of it the resale is great. If I look at what it would have cost to rent a mini-ex it payed for itself already over the used and I still have more to do. Good luck and enjoy the new tool!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Basically I can get a new one with a 12" post hole auger for about $3500 more before tax.
Compare apples to apples, what's a new one with a BH cost?
Because a PHD is cheap compared to a BH. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One more thing to consider, a BX with a BH trades or sells for a lot more value than a BX without a BH. ;)

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
I ended up throwing down on a new BX25D this morning with PHD and 12" bit.

With the incentives and financing program it made the new one a better value. At this point I don't plan to keep it for more than 2 years as I will have everything that I need to get done on the property done by then, so I figured new with lower hrs would also be better for resale.

My yard is not conducive to mow with this so I will continue to mow with my CUB M50 Tank. However, I may find a need to keep it after two years....

What is everyone's experience with the BXPanded forks for these. I have 1.5 acres in the woods that I will be clearing downed trees and brush and was thinking that might make it easier.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Congratulations!!

I'm so glad I prompted you to look at a new one.

She will be looking to mow with it before you know!:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
She's very pretty ......and the tractor aint bad looking either!!!:D:)

Congrats - I think you will find - you should have done it a looooong time ago!:)

Last edited:

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
She very pretty ......and the tractor aint bad looking either!!!:D:)

Congrats - I think you will find - you should have done it a looooong time ago!:)

Thank you. Yeah been using my old Honda Rancher as a tractor for over a decade. Happy to not have to use a snow plow to move gravel.

She wanted to pretend to drive.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
The forks will come in very handy, not trying to spend your money...I had the third function and Landpride grabble in my purchase. Spent most of the day with the grapple today, nice to grab the piles and give it a squeeze.

Forks are on almost as much as the bucket. Grapple is a distant third.

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
I thought about the grapple but I don't have enough work to justify it. I bought some Titan forks to lift up what brush I have for $169 so that will have to do. A grapple would be cool to have. I did spring for the 3point lift bars and post hole digger though as I am tired of digging holes by hand. 9 years in my home and I have only managed to fence in half of the back yard by hand.