Upgrading ? LX or L series

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
My B rad R4. My L3302 has the R14. I love them. I have big hills and they can be sandy. Good traction and I don't use it a ton in winter but should be better.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
And, R4s are rated for a higher load capacity than R14s. Is it important? - probably, not. However, R4 tires are stronger/tougher than R14s, and they should last longer.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Like 90% of compact tractors leave dealer lots with R4 tires. It's all people want and for good reason. They cost more, but you have the ability to add lots more fluid in and in practice a life time guarantee on wear, punctures, or them sliding off. Don't be 'that guy' who gets the ag tires because the dealer is overstocked on and wants to get rid of them (before they dry rot).

My 2 cents on that is just get the R4 tires. They are proven and work...naysayers will state that ag tires with large cleats do better in mud, but I disagree... If you're in mud, they're all spinning and only different is ag tires dig in more, potentially getting to 'not mud.' The R4s 'float over' better, though none of them work well in thick mud period...tractor becomes a mess and it's sketchy...even a skidsteer/mini-x fails in mud. Now that you got equipment, fix the reason why it's muddy...poor drainage. If it's still muddy 2-3 days after heavy rain, you got some bad grading...common thing in flat areas and unfortunately difficult to fix. Even in dry conditions, ag tires are like mini plows and will turn vegetation into a dirt road in no time.

R14 tires I honestly don't much know. R4's work fine so I don't care too. FYI, all heavy construction 'TLB' or "wheeled loader' equipment have R4 tires standard and you wont ever fine one otherwise.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Like 90% of compact tractors leave dealer lots with R4 tires. It's all people want and for good reason. They cost more, but you have the ability to add lots more fluid in and in practice a life time guarantee on wear, punctures, or them sliding off. Don't be 'that guy' who gets the ag tires because the dealer is overstocked on and wants to get rid of them (before they dry rot).

My 2 cents on that is just get the R4 tires. They are proven and work...naysayers will state that ag tires with large cleats do better in mud, but I disagree... If you're in mud, they're all spinning and only different is ag tires dig in more, potentially getting to 'not mud.' The R4s 'float over' better, though none of them work well in thick mud period...tractor becomes a mess and it's sketchy...even a skidsteer/mini-x fails in mud. Now that you got equipment, fix the reason why it's muddy...poor drainage. If it's still muddy 2-3 days after heavy rain, you got some bad grading...common thing in flat areas and unfortunately difficult to fix. Even in dry conditions, ag tires are like mini plows and will turn vegetation into a dirt road in no time.

R14 tires I honestly don't much know. R4's work fine so I don't care too. FYI, all heavy construction 'TLB' or "wheeled loader' equipment have R4 tires standard and you wont ever fine one otherwise.
Lots of huge generalizations in your post. I requested R1s, and they were brand new. Im in mud all the time. Any tire will tear up the lawn, it's a tractor.

One thing I can guarantee is the R1s grip better going through my creek with a foot of mud on each side. It's not all "bad grading" in the winter when everything stays wet.

I'm guess I'm that guy but I'm perfectly happy with my R1s.

Reactions: 2 users

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Lots of huge generalizations in your post. I requested R1s, and they were brand new. Im in mud all the time. Any tire will tear up the lawn, it's a tractor.

One thing I can guarantee is the R1s grip better going through my creek with a foot of mud on each side. It's not all "bad grading" in the winter when everything stays wet.

I'm guess I'm that guy but I'm perfectly happy with my R1s.
With proper grade and soil it wont be wet. I guarantee it from person experience. Remove that muddy organic material down to subsoil, put in your lawn, and mine some proper shale/sandy soil, place it there and it wont stay wet if the grade is correct (ditched on uphill side that eventually leads to culvert on the downhill side, if that's where the trail goes. Of course, IMO this will be lots of work to that do with a L series tractor depend on how bad situation is. I will say however, using R1 tires to keep digging trenches wont work so well and mud will just stay mud.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I think you have that reversed.
I may have been mistaken about an R4 tire being 4 ply but from what I can find the R14 is a 6 ply tire

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

R4 tires were designed for industrial equipment like backhoes and loaders for longer wear on solid ground like pavement and some traction. Having thousands of hours of experience running Ag tractors, backhoe and pay loaders, I would never buy R4 tires thinking I would get traction out of them in mud. On snow, they are the worst traction tires out there compared to the other choices. As far as woods work, we spent a lot of time in the woods in the winter with our AG tractors and never punctured any of the R1 tires. We actually had more flat tire problems with the R4 tires than the R1 tires. It’s a big misconception thinking that the R4 tires are tougher considering how most OEM tires are the cheapest ones that the manufacturer can buy.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are a lot of R1 vs R4 vs R14 threads. Instead of taking this thread to much further off topic, go read those threads if you want to know more and what you are trading off.

You’ll find that there are some opinions by a few people in this thread disguised as facts.

RCKM

Equipment
2022 L3302, LP B1260 Box Blade, LP 0660 Grapple, Rear Blade, Pallet Forks
Jul 7, 2022
Eastern WI
I think you’ll be happy with the L3302. I moved up from a B2650 and the difference in frame size and weight are very noticeable. The extra weight (approximately 1000lbs) alone helps to handle those big logs in the grapple with much more stability, and although the larger LA526 loader doesn’t lift that much more over the LA534 loader of the B2650, it flexes less laterally and also adds to the more stable feel. For me, I don’t really miss the tilt steering and I actually find the seat more comfortable. I never wound up using the mid PTO on the B so that was a waste. I found a zero turn faster and more maneuverable. I was worried at first that the extra weight would rut up the lawn, but it has been a non-issue and the lawn shows no worse for wear where I travel back and forth consistently. The new accoutrements of the 02 over the 01 are nice. The DPF issues and concerns of the B3350 are what kept me from going that route initially, but I feel confident that Kubota has resolved that with the 02.
Hope you’re happy with your new tractor and am excited for you.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
My experience has been the exact opposite.
There are always exceptions. I had a 2002 Ford Explorer that lots of folks said was riddled with mechanical issues. Had mine 16 years and 200,000 klms without anything other than standard maintenance items. Engine, transmission and transfer case were never touched. Regularly towed the Kubota with it as well.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
At least in the under 100 HP tractor category, this survey indicates that Kubota is the most trouble free. Is the survey highly accurate? I do not know, but I would expect that it is much more accurate than various people's opinions based on a much more limited data pool.

ScottHam

Equipment
Kubota L3560HST-LE 4WD; R4 tires; Armstrong Ag BRG-mini grapple; 1272 box blade
Jul 9, 2022
Texas Hill Country
The LX is the older model big B. The L is quite a bit more of a tractor, but I think I’d consider the L3560LE and go for the upgraded loader which has almost double the power of a L3602. It also can be changed to be more of a luxury tractor.
I suggest going on the Kubotausa website and comparing the price and specs of the LX3302 compared to the L3560LE. That is what I did, and made the easy decision to get way more tractor for not much more money. I got R4s because of my terrain and intended use.

Reactions: 1 user

Farmerwantob

Equipment
B2620, ZD21
Sep 2, 2022
SE Wisconsin
Thanks to all for your comments and advise.
My new Kubota L3302 arrived today. Cant wait to try out the grapple and get to work on the drive.

Reactions: 3 users