Under Seat PTO Switch

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I seen what you wrote in the email I received. I just want to put a switch there so when I think something is wrong while mowing I can get out and tractor doesn’t shut down and see what’s going on. But leave switch engaged all the time. Don’t want it bypassed all the time.
I apologize, my comment wasn’t directed towards you.

Reactions: 1 user

rockster

Equipment
LE3560HST; LA555 Loader; 6’ Finish Mower; Grapple & Forks
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
I seen what you wrote in the email I received. I just want to put a switch there so when I think something is wrong while mowing I can get out and tractor doesn’t shut down and see what’s going on. But leave switch engaged all the time. Don’t want it bypassed all the time.
I apologize, my comment wasn’t directed towards you.
No Problem At All. Have A Great Day 👍

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You know, as I mentioned previously neither of my tractors has a seat switch.

I keep asking myself how much do we need to protect ourselves from ourselves?

To the point where I wonder if it wouldn’t be wise just to sell a tractor but not give the new owner a key to start it! If you can’t move the tractor you’re probably ultimately safe.

Actually applying a bit of common sense, one would realize that the tractor should not move unless a person is sitting in the seat with his seat belt buckled. Why not include this interlock as well?

And no, I’m not against using seatbelts in the car, or things like that. I believe in airbags in vehicles… And so on. And in using a seat belt when operating a tractor (with ROPS).

But my cars do not shut down if I raise my butt off the seat!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Seat switch is bypassed, I have been known to sometimes not wear a seatbelt, I even listen to music occasionally

• Haha

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
You know, as I mentioned previously neither of my tractors has a seat switch.

I keep asking myself how much do we need to protect ourselves from ourselves?

To the point where I wonder if it wouldn’t be wise just to sell a tractor but not give the new owner a key to start it! If you can’t move the tractor you’re probably ultimately safe.

Actually applying a bit of common sense, one would realize that the tractor should not move unless a person is sitting in the seat with his seat belt buckled. Why not include this interlock as well?

And no, I’m not against using seatbelts in the car, or things like that. I believe in airbags in vehicles… And so on. And in using a seat belt when operating a tractor (with ROPS).

I guess I should wear my seatbelt even though I have a cab. Lol

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Seat switch is bypassed, I have been known to sometimes not wear a seatbelt, I even listen to music occasionally
What did you use to get those pesky stickers off is that lighter fluid? Forgive me for being a 68yo dummy but what is the process? There is a few dozen I want off mine and the first one is that California one about diesel!

Thanks
Bill

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
What did you use to get those pesky stickers off is that lighter fluid? Forgive me for being a 68yo dummy but what is the process? There is a few dozen I want off mine and the first one is that California one about diesel!

Thanks
Bill
I listen to radio all the time while mowing. It helps pass the time. I live in Fl so having the cab with AC and the radio is great. I believe WD40 will work getting all those warnings stickers off.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d have a hard time proving it but as best I recall from some of the farm safety and farm accident reconstruction classes I’ve attended over the years, the primary impetus for the pesky PTO / seat interlock was folks falling or being knocked off the tractor while mowing and being run over by the bush hog / mower or getting wrung out by the PTO shaft. Quite a messy ordeal. I’ve seen that guy. Never cared to be that guy.

Thankfully mine has a very simple flipper switch that the seat pushes down to engage. Kubota was nice enough to put a bracket for something or other in close proximity so a binder clip and piece of a wooden paint stirrer stick holds it down nicely when I wish to over ride it. I kind of like being able to turn that function off and on, but that’s just me. Particularly with forks, sometimes I pretty much need to stand up for the last little bit to see where the forks are sliding into a pallet.

Coming from the 2N/8N/9N FrankenFord that will start in gear, uncovered PTO spinning all the time (45 years of running it, never seen the cover), no ROPs. And the H with spoked wheels and no fenders (definitely do NOT fall off the seat), row crop tricycle without ROPs, etc. With that background a little seatbelt, ROPs, safety stuff isn’t totally unwelcome.

My brother, who is smarter, richer, and has more hair than me, (and truly a great guy) put a jumper switch on his JD for the same reason. BTW, that pretty much sums up me v my brother. He 3D printed a custom switch box that mounts on the fender adjacent to the creeper switch so neat it looks like it might be OEM. I have a busted paint stick (I shortened it by scoring it with a pocket knife and snapping it with my hands) and a binder clip in the toolbox on mine. Of course he spent the better part of a day and I spent the better part of a minute. Both methods are quite effective.

As Henro alluded, the safest, and only fully effective, safety is consistent application of common sense. No substitute for that.

Hope you get it working as you want and have many years of accident free use.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
And neither does my new L3901HST. You can get on and off to your hearts content and even start the tractor standing on the ground as long as rhe HST pedal is in neutral and the PTO is off. You can stand up and inch into the bucket or implement if you are careful with how much you move the pedal. If you want the PTO to run while off the tractor you just tilt the seat forward when you get up. All very sensible and reasonable IMO and a departure from the onerous interlocks on the G2160 and G2460. The only interlock on the 40 year old B7200 is a clutch interlock for the starter and the only way to stop that engine is a pull cable on the dash. IMO it could use a little more in the way of interlocks.

Dan

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
I’d have a hard time proving it but as best I recall from some of the farm safety and farm accident reconstruction classes I’ve attended over the years, the primary impetus for the pesky PTO / seat interlock was folks falling or being knocked off the tractor while mowing and being run over by the bush hog / mower or getting wrung out by the PTO shaft. Quite a messy ordeal. I’ve seen that guy. Never cared to be that guy.

Thankfully mine has a very simple flipper switch that the seat pushes down to engage. Kubota was nice enough to put a bracket for something or other in close proximity so a binder clip and piece of a wooden paint stirrer stick holds it down nicely when I wish to over ride it. I kind of like being able to turn that function off and on, but that’s just me. Particularly with forks, sometimes I pretty much need to stand up for the last little bit to see where the forks are sliding into a pallet.

Coming from the 2N/8N/9N FrankenFord that will start in gear, uncovered PTO spinning all the time (45 years of running it, never seen the cover), no ROPs. And the H with spoked wheels and no fenders (definitely do NOT fall off the seat), row crop tricycle without ROPs, etc. With that background a little seatbelt, ROPs, safety stuff isn’t totally unwelcome.

My brother, who is smarter, richer, and has more hair than me, (and truly a great guy) put a jumper switch on his JD for the same reason. BTW, that pretty much sums up me v my brother. He 3D printed a custom switch box that mounts on the fender adjacent to the creeper switch so neat it looks like it might be OEM. I have a busted paint stick (I shortened it by scoring it with a pocket knife and snapping it with my hands) and a binder clip in the toolbox on mine. Of course he spent the better part of a day and I spent the better part of a minute. Both methods are quite effective.

As Henro alluded, the safest, and only fully effective, safety is consistent application of common sense. No substitute for that.

Hope you get it working as you want and have many years of accident free use.
Well my seat safety switch is inside the seat. So I’m going to tap in a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off as needed. Don’t want to bypass it completely for safety reasons. I have a cab on mine so it is very unlikely I will fall off the tractor. But anything can happen. Thanks for you reply. 👍

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I was thinking about the switch bypass idea, If you were to use a double pole relay, a momentary push button and power the coil from the ignition switch. One side could jump the seat switch, the other side is a latch for the push button circuit. If activated it would be for that time and once the ignition switch is cycled it goes back to normal so it can't be left on. It is basically the way most electric motor start stop switch circuits are wired only the stop button opens the latch. Just my thought I am thinking of doing on my L2501 so I can stand up to see when I am using the forks.

Bill

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
. If I’m seating in the seat with PTO engaged and I want to get up with PTO engaged the tractor shuts down. The switch I installed is supposed to keep tractor running while out of seat.
The way I read it you need to have the seat in the flipped position before engaging the pto
Yes the way you read it is right. I tried starting the tractor got out of seat. Flipped it up and turned PTO on and it kept running. Thanks. 👍

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
I was thinking about the switch bypass idea, If you were to use a double pole relay, a momentary push button and power the coil from the ignition switch. One side could jump the seat switch, the other side is a latch for the push button circuit. If activated it would be for that time and once the ignition switch is cycled it goes back to normal so it can't be left on. It is basically the way most electric motor start stop switch circuits are wired only the stop button opens the latch. Just my thought I am thinking of doing on my L2501 so I can stand up to see when I am using the forks.

Bill
Yea that’s another good way to do it. But why do you need it to stand up to see forks. Does you tractor shut down even though your PTO is not engaged?? Mine only shuts down if PTO is engaged. When using my forks I can stand and tractor stays running.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
If you stand up and press the pedal anything more than a touch it will shut down. If you get off while the PTO is running, it will shut down unless you pushed the button or flipped the seat.

I would have reservations about tapping any wires under the seat with posi-taps or similar. The vibration, exposure to water, and moisture (rops model). The wire pigtail from the seat sensor to the tractor harness is only available when you buy the entire seat assembly (~$800 at least on the LX), which is why I didn't want to mess with the plug or tap the wires. Just shoving a jumper wire with blade connectors at the seat plug is easily reversed and doesn't compromise any wires.

Last edited:

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida
If you stand up and press the pedal anything more than a touch it will shut down. If you get off while the PTO is running, it will shut down unless you pushed the button or flipped the seat.

I would have reservations about tapping any wires under the seat with posi-taps or similar. The vibration, exposure to water, and moisture. The wire pigtail from the seat sensor to the tractor harness is only available when you buy the entire seat assembly (~$800 at least on the LX), which is why I didnt want to mess with the plug or tap the wires. Just shoving a jumper wire with blade connectors at the seat plug is easily reversed and doesn't compromise any wires.
Yes if you but a jumper wire it will be disengage all the time. I would just install a toggle switch to one off the wires and you can bypass it with a flip of the switch when need to. Than flip the switch again and it will work as normal. But I don’t have any water or moisture issues being I have a cab on mine.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Yes if you but a jumper wire it will be disengage all the time. I would just install a toggle switch to one off the wires and you can bypass it with a flip of the switch when need to. Than flip the switch again and it will work as normal. But I don’t have any water or moisture issues being I have a cab on mine.
My L2501 is a gear drive and that may make the difference in the standing up, actually just sliding forward on the seat shuts it down. I palletize my fire wood to move it around and have been using 3pt forks on the 8N for years. I bought forks for my loader thinking an end to the turning around but went back to the 8N for this year until I can come up with a safe way to bypass and have been thinking this relay idea might be it.

Bill

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
My L2501 is a gear drive and that may make the difference in the standing up, actually just sliding forward on the seat shuts it down. I palletize my fire wood to move it around and have been using 3pt forks on the 8N for years. I bought forks for my loader thinking an end to the turning around but went back to the 8N for this year until I can come up with a safe way to bypass and have been thinking this relay idea might be it.

Bill
I was just thinking I haven't looked at the electrical but maybe the range lever switch might be the difference when it is out of neutral. I can start the tractor in the garage standing on the ground when that is in neutral and it will stay running. Again I think I need to identify which circuit is shutting it down then when moving.

Bill

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I was just thinking I haven't looked at the electrical but maybe the range lever switch might be the difference when it is out of neutral. I can start the tractor in the garage standing on the ground when that is in neutral and it will stay running. Again I think I need to identify which circuit is shutting it down then when moving.

Bill
Mine is nearly identical to yours. Yes the gear models have the safety on the range selector, hst have the safety in the hst pedal. For the few times I need to stand up and move the tractor I will take a zip tie and tie the switch under the seat down, then just cut it when Im done.

It can be a little awkward though standing up and trying to use the clutch and loader at the same time 😁

rockster

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
Inverness; Florida

Bill
Yes the gear drive may be the difference. I have forks you my loader and have to stand just to line it up with pallet. Even when switching from bucket to fork or grabble I have to get up to see it. There no room for error. It has to be perfect to line it up. What a pain in the ass. Lol Rocky