udt versus udt2

donjos

Equipment
bx2370 54in drive over deck b2750d front blower
Dec 4, 2016
New Brunsick, Canada
I have a BX2370-1 and was gonna do it's 200hr service. what I would like to know is the difference between udt and udt2. My tractor supply store has kubota udt. I don't want to put something that will cause me problem down the road

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Since your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, Kubota SUDT2 from the dealer is your only safe choice, along with Kubota filters. Should be in your owners manual. Not the place to skimp.

I have never seen Kubota UDT or SUDT at TSC... only "compatible" or "SFU" (suitable for use). It's not the same.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What Pau7220 stated is right on. Only use the product you purchase from a Kubota dealer on a new HST tractor.

Don't even consider putting a bucket of $30 oil in a $20,000 machine and think you are saving money! Look at how infrequently you need to change the fluid. Divide the cost over the hours of use and buy the correct product and have piece of mind.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Donjos - - I see you're in Canada.

I think availability Kubota UDT-variants is different in Canada than US.

Seems like SUDT2 is not available up there, but UDT2 is. Some of your Canadian compatriots might be able to help.

For an HST machine, I would get the latest and greatest you can get from your Kubota dealer.

From time to time there are threads about the differences in the variants. If you search around the Service section you might find one of them.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Since your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, Kubota SUDT2 from the dealer is your only safe choice, along with Kubota filters. Should be in your owners manual. Not the place to skimp.

I have never seen Kubota UDT or SUDT at TSC... only "compatible" or "SFU" (suitable for use). It's not the same.
Agreed.

Kubota parts, accessories, lubricants, etc., are sold only by Kubota franchished dealers.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What Pau7220 stated is right on. Only use the product you purchase from a Kubota dealer on a new HST tractor.

Don't even consider putting a bucket of $30 oil in a $20,000 machine and think you are saving money! Look at how infrequently you need to change the fluid. Divide the cost over the hours of use and buy the correct product and have piece of mind.
Agreed here as well.

Why would anyone introduce any such uncertainty?

SDT

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just because you’re at a Kubota dealer doesn’t mean you’ll get good product advice.

I have a ‘96 M4700 and the local Kubota dealer (one of a large chain of Kubota dealers) sold me UDT, telling me that’s what my ‘96 M4700 should use.
I bought the stuff and brought it home intending to use it in a couple months when my 600 hr service interval occurs.
I bought the M4700 manuals shortly after acquiring the tractor but hadn’t read thru them completely. I recently was reading the manual to discover my ’96 Kubota LEFT THE FACTORY with SUDT...!!!....not UDT.

I took the 15 gals of UDT back to the dealer and, to help them out, I unloaded my three 5-gal pails of UDT into their parts room for them ...and saw lots of 5-gal pails of cheap off-brand “universal tractor fluid”... which I later discovered they happily sell to price-shoppers for their Kubotas.

I walked to the parts counter and handed them my receipt for the 15 gals of UDT they’d sold me and requested an exchange for SUDT(2). To my surprise the Parts Mgr tried to talk me out of it, telling me that “down here in the South“ ..... UDT is fine, that SUDT and the latest SUDT(2) is really just needed “up nawth” where things get cold. He was almost insistent that I should use UDT ...EVEN THO’ I pointed out to him the MANUAL SPECIFIES SUDT.

He didnt’ give up easily ... which really surprised me.
Anyway, I exchanged the UDT for the SUDT(2) and will change it out in another 40 hours at the 600 hr point.

I’ve decided that even at Kubota dealerships..... just like the “help” at Home Depot.... they’ll tell you whatever the hell they want to whether it’s correct or not.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
No intentions of hijacking this thread but this seems like a good time to ask......If a tractor with an FEL and BH has always run UDT and gets SUDT or SUDT2 at its next service of the hydraulic system will the UDT that remains in the cylinders of the FEL and BH or any other hydraulic implement mix ok with the SUDT or SUDT2 and not cause issues?

OR Would it be considered contamination?

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I have a BX2370-1 and was gonna do it's 200hr service. what I would like to know is the difference between udt and udt2. My tractor supply store has kubota udt. I don't want to put something that will cause me problem down the road
If you want to know about SUDT2 and UDT, go to the Kubota USA website about them BY CLICKING HERE. Also note from the Kubota FAQ page:
  • WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UDT AND SUPER UDT2?
    Both products are high quality lubricants. Super UDT2 delivers superior performance for water tolerance, smooth gear shifts and reduced brake squawk. It does not thin out at high temperatures (no metal to metal contact), provides more power in hydraulic systems, improved transmission operation and faster cold weather starts. Super UDT2 is the top performance lubricant designed to maximize the life of your Kubota.

• IS SUPER UDT2 A SYNTHETIC OIL?
    Super UDT2, Kubota's proprietary hydraulic/transmission fluid, is approximately 75%synthetic. It is a multi-purpose all-weather tractor hydraulic fluid. It is fully compatible with UDT fluids.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No intentions of hijacking this thread but this seems like a good time to ask......If a tractor with an FEL and BH has always run UDT and gets SUDT or SUDT2 at its next service of the hydraulic system will the UDT that remains in the cylinders of the FEL and BH or any other hydraulic implement mix ok with the SUDT or SUDT2 and not cause issues?

OR Would it be considered contamination?
The amount of fluid in the cylinders, implements, etc. are minimal compared to the tractor’s capacity. Not a problem switching fluids.

Also, I believe all Kubota UDT types are compatible with each other, so not an issue changing between UDT types anyway.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Using Messick's for price reference:

5 gallon pails.
UDT: $84.22
SUDT2: $103.12

2.5 gallon container:
UDT: $45.76
SUDT2: $54.65

donjos

Equipment
bx2370 54in drive over deck b2750d front blower
Dec 4, 2016
New Brunsick, Canada
thanks for the reply i havent put anything in there yet so a trip to the kubota dealer is in my plans. Was there last week for filters and forgot to get the oil and the guy at tractor supply store said my tractor should be good with just kubotaUDT oil. Haven't bought any oil yet and decided to check here first.
I knew if i asked here i would get the answer i was looking for'

Reactions: 1 user