UDT Substitute

CHolmes

Equipment
G4200 T1600 L3130
Apr 10, 2011
Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Hi. I have a Grand L3130 that has a small hydro leak, haven't fixed yet but I am sure may be down a bit in UDT. I don't have a Kubota dealer close and I really hate paying for their inflated products on top of that so I was wondering if topping up with a 30W motor oil would be an issue? My instincts say not but no harm in asking. Hydro systems used 30W for years so I am guessing it should be compatible.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
You will get many opinions but my perspective is the following.

I do not chance it, I have a 20K machine and my manual says change hydro every 400 hours so for me that is every 8 years as I average 50 hours a year.

I do change my filter each year and top off with udt, time to change now.

Do a search for udt and you will find many posts on it, some real recent.

Many more knowledgeable posters here they will weigh in soon and I am guessing the answer will be it is not compatible .

Go with udt and you will never have to second guess your decision.

Good luck
Jay

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi. I have a Grand L3130 that has a small hydro leak, haven't fixed yet but I am sure may be down a bit in UDT. I don't have a Kubota dealer close and I really hate paying for their inflated products on top of that so I was wondering if topping up with a 30W motor oil would be an issue? My instincts say not but no harm in asking. Hydro systems used 30W for years so I am guessing it should be compatible.
Gonna say - naw, I would not do that!!!

30w oil.....is just that, 30w oil!!! Meant to lubricate parts in an engine, NOT to be pressurized to 2000 psi via a hydraulic pump! ALL lubricating fluids are not the same! Not to mention the mixing of properties of the two entirely different oils!

Hydro systems of old surely did!!! AND so did the 51 Ford 8N! howeveerrrr, just causes it worked then, does NOT mean that it will work in a much newer machine!!! I would not even consider placing straight 30w in the same old ford -EVEN THOUGH is called for it in the day!!!!!

Oils have been developed through the countless ages to do somethings real well, and not do other things well!

Get on the horn and call Messicks or Colemans and order you a gallon or so, and that way you have what you need and away need in the future.:)

Like Jay said - It is a 20k machine (your's probably more!) why NOT place in it what was designed? Despite the over priced oil with the big K on it, it is damn good stuff!!!!;):)

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Against my advise, my father mixed TSC brand Hydro fluid with UDT in an L3800 DT (Gear transmission) with no ill effects.

I think adding 30w oil will cost you much more than driving to the Kubota dealer and buying some UDT.

I currently run Chevron THF 1000 in my M9540. That being said I would not mix it with UDT. I swapped over the that fluid at a full service. I use that because it is locally available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
I can't get kubota fluid without a minimum 1 hour drive one way.

Don't use the yellow bucket from TSC. I use the TSC premium UTF in both my zero turn and my b8200, as well as my fathers b7200. I won't mind paying the premium, but make it available please.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you search "substitute," bet you'll find this thread repeated often for either UDT or SUDT2.

Couple guys like Mystik JT-5, if I remember right. Think Wolfman is one of them.

I see it at my local TSC.

Aww heck, I had to try it......[emoji12]

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4241&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30637&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32216&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23910&highlight=substitute

Last edited:

CHolmes

Equipment
G4200 T1600 L3130
Apr 10, 2011
Bridgetown Nova Scotia
I am sure there are lots of Hydro oils that will work, guessing Kubota gets theirs from China or similar. It is big business for them to hide part numbers and such so you have to buy from them. They want $25 for a head light bulb that is "only Kubota" "made especially for them" I was told, took a while but it is a motorcycle headlight bulb among other things, $2.50 for their $25 bulb. Anyway, Filters are another issue. I need a napa # for the hydro filters so I can cross. I have a good number for the oil filter. Do you have any other filter numbers? I have a Grand L 3130

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
re filter cross...
I crossed the trans and hydraulic filter to baldwin, which is the only manufacturer that I found a cross for on my L4060. They are the same filters that my previous L3410 used, so perhaps the L3130 also uses the same filters.
Transmission HHTAO-59900 (50 / 200h) (BT9358 Baldwin)
Hydraulic HHTAO-37710 (400h) (BT8488 Baldwin)

I never bought the baldwins, because I had several kubota filters stocked from the 3410.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you search "substitute," bet you'll find this thread repeated often for either UDT or SUDT2.

Couple guys like Mystik JT-5, if I remember right. Think Wolfman is one of them.

I see it at my local TSC.

Aww heck, I had to try it......[emoji12]

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4241&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30637&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32216&highlight=substitute

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23910&highlight=substitute

I typed up about a three page reply to this general topic - throughout the day I typed a little more.......

then after all that I typed, I said f' it - aint gonna make any difference at all - like politics, or gun control - people have their mind made up, and little else will change it!

I will say this, most if not 95% of the time the acronym UDT is used.....this is a 40+ old oil make up that many companies have copied to the letter.

If you have an older machine, one that called for UDT, then run it or anything that meets those specs and it will be terrific!

What really burns my ass however, are those out there, buying a new machine, and NOW wanting to place an older type oil in it, or another brand of oil in it that will "work" cause grandpa did it 40 years ago......

The older machines worked fine on UDT, sub it out by all means.....it will be fine.......

but IF the newer machines use an OIL better than UDT (S-UDT2), why in the hell would you want to go BACK to an outdated oil?????

and yes - there are many still out there, running straight 30 weight in their 1948 8n's!!!!! Why, cause that's what grandapa did and it worked well!

Next one that wants to use a "different type of brand of oil" - show me the specs....all of them - and tell me that it meets Kubota S-udt2 standards......and I will wait in line with you to get it!

otherwise

who said it? I fool and their money are soon separated!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, you're right...some things some folks just have to learn the hard way. All the quotes from other's experience has no effect.

If and when something gives up prematurely the owner has to reevaluate their decisions, and they are usually only formed after the fact by cost. So is life!