UDT oil for ISO 32 substitute in chipper

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I'm looking into buying a Woodland Mills WC68 3-point wood chipper to use with my B2650. It has a self contained hydraulic in-feed system that will require that I acquire 5 gallons of ISO 32 hydraulic oil to fill the chipper's resevoir.

My question is can I use the Kubota Premium UDT hydraulic fluid, that I use for my B2650, for the in-feed hydraulics on the chipper? I know it's probably much more expensive than ISO32 standard oil, but is there any issue with using it anyway? Our winters get nasty cold (-35C right now with -50 equiv. windchill) and having an hydraulic oil in the chipper that can handle functioning in these conditions will help, and I think the Premium UDT has one of the best low temp ratings for the tractors. But will it mess up my chipper's pump and/or seals?

I emailed the folks at Woodland Mills and they said to go with the "pure" hydraulic oil Their answer: "I would not recommend any oil that has transmission fluid in it. In the chippers, you want to use pure hydraulic oil."

Are they right? I'd obviously like to keep only one type of hydraulic oil/fluid for the tractor and chipper.

Thanks.

Neil

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I emailed the folks at Woodland Mills and they said to go with the "pure" hydraulic oil Their answer: "I would not recommend any oil that has transmission fluid in it. In the chippers, you want to use pure hydraulic oil."

Are they right?
They designed it, and they say no, and you want to go against what they say? :rolleyes:
Well any damage and your warranty claim will be worthless!
Go against them and if anything happens you'll be the only one to blame. ;)

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I personally would use what they recommend. I am not sure what a pure hydraulic oil is, but udt and sudt2 are hydraulic fluids, but Kubota has us use it in the hydraulic oil tank and the transmission. But go figure they could be the same stuff hyd oil vs. hyd fluid.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
They designed it, and they say no, and you want to go against what they say? :rolleyes:
+1 on that. Use the recommended oil only.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
You could ask the guys at Keystone Agri. in Steinbach (326-9832) what they recommend, are you going to be using it in this cold weather or mainly in the summer?
It's just another sunny day in Manitoba at -40C

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I personally would use what they recommend. I am not sure what a pure hydraulic oil is, but udt and sudt2 are hydraulic fluids, but Kubota has us use it in the hydraulic oil tank and the transmission. But go figure they could be the same stuff hyd oil vs. hyd fluid.
Indeed, unless there's clear information otherwise that the chipper mfg agrees to, I'll be using AW32 hydraulic oil. Not "pure" i.e. contains AntiWear additives (AW), but not tranny oil either. My main question for this forum is:

Has anyone used their UDT, Super UDT, or Premium UDT in anything else other than their 'bota or its hydraulic attachments?

Or put another way, does anybody here know if UDT oils are backward compatible with separate hydraulic pump systems like a chipper or splitter? The Kubota lubricants site states their SUDT2 or UDT fluids are "general purpose" hydraulic fluids.

You could ask the guys at Keystone Agri. in Steinbach (326-9832) what they recommend, are you going to be using it in this cold weather or mainly in the summer?
It's just another sunny day in Manitoba at -40C.
Yes thanks, that's a good idea, Keystone is where I purchased my tractor and implements from in 2017.

Wolfman, that's why I emailed them my question,and I'm far from deciding what oil to get IF I purchase the chipper.

It's been a good education researching hydraulic oils, on this forum and elsewhere. One thing that I notice a lot is the question "can I use xyz oil INSTEAD (as a substitute for) SUDT (or Premium UDT) oil in my tractor", but NOTHING the other way around - is SUDT ok, backwards compatible, for a log splitter or chipper etc.

From one website selling SUDT " Kubota Super UDT2 is a multi-purpose all-weather hydraulic fluid."

That statement points in the direction of it being backwards compatible, no?

Thanks for the responses!

Neil

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When I bought my wood splitter I used IH hy-tran fluid in it because that's what I had on hand. Since then When I needed fluid I've used Amsoil tractor trans/hyd and have never had any issues.

If you're looking for a good cold weather fluid. Amsoil ISO 32 pour point is -51F. I'd say you'll be hard pressed to find one with better cold capability.

Please no oil war, just passing on product info.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
When I purchased my tractor I got a hydraulic snow blower with it. The dealer said they always put the same hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic attachments as the tractor requires. In my case the hydraulic tank on the snow blower was filled with the UTD hydraulic fluid (I will continue to use that in the blower rather than mix and match). When I purchased my wood max chipper, I put in what the owners manual required. I couldn't see spending almost twice as much if it wasn't required. My tractor will always get Kubota UTD fluid. Between tractors, snowmobiles, motorcycles, cars and what ever else there is always going to be more than 1 oil on the shelf.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've pretty much standardized my lubricants in as much as I buy them in 55 gallon drums anyway. Less expensive that way and less worry (I put the used drain lubricants in an empty drum and my jobber takes them).

I run Chevron All weather synthetic THC in the tractors and Rotella T6 motor oil n the 5-40 flavor. I do keep a couple 5 gallon pails of 85-90 GL5 Hypoid oil for the gearboxes on my implements though. Used to buy this and that but not anymore.

Only thing I don't do that with is AF but Autozone takes my AF for recycling.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I've pretty much standardized my lubricants in as much as I buy them in 55 gallon drums anyway. Less expensive that way and less worry (I put the used drain lubricants in an empty drum and my jobber takes them).

I run Chevron All weather synthetic THC in the tractors and Rotella T6 motor oil n the 5-40 flavor. I do keep a couple 5 gallon pails of 85-90 GL5 Hypoid oil for the gearboxes on my implements though. Used to buy this and that but not anymore.

Only thing I don't do that with is AF but Autozone takes my AF for recycling.
As I used Rotella T6 5w40 in our unfortunately long gone VW Golf TDI (that little turbo diesel had jump, and the car handled great!) and I still have 1/2 pail of it left. I am curious if this is a suitable engine oil for my B2650, now you mention your use of it for your tractors. Maybe another thread...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As I used Rotella T6 5w40 in our unfortunately long gone VW Golf TDI (that little turbo diesel had jump, and the car handled great!) and I still have 1/2 pail of it left. I am curious if this is a suitable engine oil for my B2650, now you mention your use of it for your tractors. Maybe another thread...
Use it and be happy.... One thing I like about the 5-40 T6 is the motor turns over easier in the cold, compared to 15-40 Rotella. Both are rated for turbo and non turbo diesels.

I use it in EVERYTHING from the tractors to the lawnmowers to my pressure washer to the roto tillers to my gasoline cars and my diesel pickup.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Use it and be happy.... One thing I like about the 5-40 T6 is the motor turns over easier in the cold, compared to 15-40 Rotella. Both are rated for turbo and non turbo diesels.

I use it in EVERYTHING from the tractors to the lawnmowers to my pressure washer to the roto tillers to my gasoline cars and my diesel pickup.
I like the sound of this - at least for off-warranty equipment. I'd be very cautious about making sure it wouldn't void warranty! I've always used synth 5w-30 for changes in my 2006 tacoma, 340,000 km now, curious how it would run season to season on T6?

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I like the sound of this - at least for off-warranty equipment. I'd be very cautious about making sure it wouldn't void warranty! I've always used synth 5w-30 for changes in my 2006 tacoma, 340,000 km now, curious how it would run season to season on T6?
You are good to be cautious.

I'm a fan of 5w40 diesel synthetics too, but I am too scared to run the stuff while under warranty. I'm a broken record to many here I am sure, but I read a while back that Kubota Japan specifically advises not to run 5w40 in the hotter months. That is just bad information, but they are in charge so I will do what they want. I've used 5w40 in my D series engines for years and I guarantee they run hotter than my L2501 while mowing in the summer.

My manual only calls for 10w30 and 15w40. Some 10w30 diesel oils are a synthetic blend so that may be the best cold cranking option until the warranty is over.

Last edited: