turbocharged b8200

camarokiller6

Equipment
kubota b8200hste turbo. bobcat 773
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
Hello all this is my first post. I just with wanted to share my project with you. Im sure some may totally disagree with this and thats fine, but figured others may find it intresting.
I started with a kubota b8200 that was running driving had working hydrolics and and thats abt it i picked it up in the 600 dollar range.
Check the pictures out in my profile

camarokiller6

Equipment
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
This is currently running and operational pulling my mower deck it runs amazing at 6psi of boost with no fueling changes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The key question is did it do anything worthwhile, besides make it louder because on no muffler?

Most say that a turbo on these little motors gives about 2HP gain with a turbo at most and that compared to the cost of the parts is not worth it.

I changed out my 16HP D750 to a 21.5 HP D950 for $675, how much has it cost you to get from 19HP to 21HP?

Last edited:

camarokiller6

Equipment
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
I spend 150.00 for a used turbo .15/.15 ratio t3 style flang
30.00 for the turbo overhaul parts (didnt need it but did it for peace of mind)
40.00 on 2 hydrolic lines and jic fittings which I used for oil lines
every thing else I fabed myself or had laying around the shop
So like 220/230 if you wana figure in some gas money
well it runs night and day differently I do not have any dyno figure it all seat of the pant and use of tractor it dose things with easy it was unable to do befor is what I based my opinion off of

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will say looks like you did a very nice and clean install with it.;)
I would like to know the "real" numbers on this kind of upgrade.
No one seams to have any concrete #'s.
I'm all for more power as long as you don't sacrifice strength and longevity of the motor or other parts.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Cool! I'd guess that since you haven't messed with fuel or timing that is a pretty low risk mod. How is EGT?

camarokiller6

Equipment
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
Thank you... I do wish I had some accurate befor and after dyno numbers but didnt have that equipment available to be... it is registering boost on the gauge... its a 25mm inlet btw

What model tractor did you do the 750-950 swap on ?

camarokiller6

Equipment
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
The EGT was measuring 930-950 at 2500 rpm I was using an IR gun taking temp before the turbo a payro install is next on the list and still currently waiting for delivery
not sure how far off surface temp with ir gun will be compared to internal temp but I wouldnt think its going to be to drastic curious to see myself

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I think you're going to find a pretty big difference between the pyro temps and IR temps. My Duramax running at about 30psi of boost will hit over 1350 deg on the pyro....if you didn't change the fueling on the Kubota, I'm thinking you might be a little lean? Not sure how diesels work compared to gas when it comes to boost, but I thought you needed to add fuel where you add boost or you risk running lean/hot and melting something.

As far as hp...I respect wolfman because he really seems to know his stuff....but usually turbos add significant power to both gas and diesel motors. 2 hp on a 19hp motor? I would be expecting more like 5+hp from a turbo and the real difference would be a major jump in torque.

What would you charge to make up another manifold to turbo flange? I have a B9200 and I'd be interested in buying that so I could do my own turbo setup.

As far as longevity of the motor as some people have asked....we all know Kubota's are well overbuilt. And we all know they add on turbos to some models with little or no mods to the motor itself other than fueling. Examples are the RTV's and the larger M series tractors which are offered in both turbo and non turbo models. I wouldn't hesitate at all to put a turbo with a Pyro on my 25+ yr old B9200 and let er rip. The only point for me is that I seem to have plenty of hp with everything I do with it....except maybe climbing a hill in high range....so do I REALLY need the power? ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Billdog350,
You know I really would like some good answers to the gains that it gives.
I have read so many different opinions here lately that I don't know what to believe.
One guy says he got 10HP gain on his D750, Find that really hard to believe, and another guy reported much lower gains and issues.
I would hope that it would give some good gain, as you said it gives good gains in larger engines.

camarokiller6,
I swapped out the D750 for a D950 in a B7100HSTD, really did a nice job at giving it a real boost in the shorts! :D
I would love to put a turbo on my bigger tractor that has a 37HP V1902-DI-AE if I could get at least another 5hp out of it! :cool:

camarokiller6

Equipment
Jul 1, 2014
hookstown pa
I agree id like to have hard data myself.... what brought this project on was first and for most FUN lol just because I can. But I was having some issue with up hill power while mowing.... bogging exsessive smoke and even a stall out once on a steeper part of a hill.... ended up shorlty after with a valve tap..... long story short I ended up rebuilding my head I installed new guides valves and springs tappet s and push rods..... ran it after that for a few weeks and it was a whole new tractor.... not satisfied with that major improvement I proceed with the turbo.... I can now scalp 2-3 foot grass off with a finish mower up hill no bogging no excessive smoke no end in site with the throttle set at 2400 rpm.... it will do this with the pto set a 540 or 720.... im not sure what the appropriate pto setting is if anyone could share info id love feed back... but seems to kick grass better in 720

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
540 is the standard rpm with implements, 720 is only 180rpm faster than the standard so i wouldn't be to concerned with that especially if your tractor is ok with handling it and nothing gets shaky. however it may add stress onto the driveline of the pto, and wear things out a bit faster. also props on the turbo, sounds like its working great for you and giving your orange friend a needed hand.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And I sure would like to see some pictures of the plumbing too

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I saw that Mag I was talking about the oil lines and such;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Looks like he has an oil cooler on the front, which is needed for a turbo.

With that large crossover, there might be space in there for an intercooler and with louvering the hood and electric fans, you might sneak another HP or two out of it, also lowering your EGT in the process and making your engine run cooler as well as more efficiently.

You aren't looking for HP gains in a diesel anyway, you are looking for torque gains. Your HP tends to only go up slightly with a diesel turbo, but your torque goes up amazingly.

By the way, you will need to adjust your fuel feed to work optimally with the turbocharger if you haven't already done so. With more air now the need to increase the fuel to bring the stoichiometric ratio back into balance or heat will melt your cylinders down with a lean mix. Watched a buddy do a turbo on a gas engine and did exactly that...

In2trux

Equipment
D950 /4.8kw gen. on service vehicle
Sep 28, 2015
Central NJ
I would like to know how this is running a year later?

I would agree 100% about increasing fueling rate, 900-950 is to hot, a Pyrometer probe straped to the exhaust manifold will tell you where you're at with heat soak, doesn't have to be in exhaust stream.

Doubling the oil capacity and a good size oil cooler would be prudent.
Charge air cooler wouldn't hurt.

I was thinking about doing something like this with junkyard parts. Sizing the turbo to the engine displacement is critical if it's going to last.