Trying to understand specs

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think it really comes down to your expectations and ultimately what you want to do.

IMO if you want a noticeable difference double the weight of your current machine (at a minimum). Then you will have a noticeable difference. If not you may be pissing in the wind. As a percentage sure the LX more than the B, but in terms of capabilty it is sort of a negligible difference. It’s got nicer features for sure, but I don’t think it really does much more than what you have.

from a stability standpoint sure the width of the LX is much better than your B, but from a total package it really won’t lift much more if you break the couple hundred pounds of lift down into how many more blocks on a pallet it will lift.

it’s just my opinion, but ultimately it comes down to your expectations. If you were impressed by the L4701 or L49 or whatever your neighbor had, don’t be surprised if anything less doesnt impress. If you want the capability of the neighbor, it’s it’s time to pay the piper. 😉

if more BH is all really want, consider selling your current BH (there is some value there) and put towards a used mini x. That might be best of both worlds paired with your current B. If you have both you can dig with the mini and put the spoils in the bucket of the B. That’s as good as shitting in tall cotton IMO. It’s great when I use the MX/BH92 paired with my B and the bucket / loader

Finally there is no shame in an MX. 😉.
however, Personally a mini X would be better than a BH92 on the MX. 🥃
Agreed!
A Mini-Ex would be nice to have, but it is a "one trick pony"
It digs....and digs well,.... but it digs ONLY........and travels as slow as cold molasses running uphill!
You absolutely need a second machine (tractor loader) if you have a Mini-Ex
True TLB's like M62's, L47's, B26's, and the older M59's, L48's, L39's, L35's, etc. are Swiss Army knives in comparison.
For my personal use, I know that I would never trade my L48 TLB for a Mini-Ex, and I DO have another tractor loader as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
This actually a very good point. Speculative, but valid.

@rc51stierhoff: so in your opinion, is the move from b2601 to l2502 significant enough in terms of the BH? The tractor is much heavier, the backhoe is more powerful, it has it's own seat, swivels 180 degrees. It sounds like a legit upgrade.

Another way to see it is: will this upgrade make me as happy as I was when going from from bx23s to b2601 ? That upgrade was worth the 10k I had to spend more.
When I was looking to upgrade from the B2601 to something larger, my dealer flat-out refused to sell me an LX sized tractor. They stated Standard L or larger to gain more capacity and productivity for my property and needs. Just something to consider.

The L3902 will be a significant upgrade from your B2601 as I have experienced going from my B2601 to an L2501. You will gain stability, capacity and performance from the tractor and BH as well.

Mike

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
When I was looking to upgrade from the B2601 to something larger, my dealer flat-out refused to sell me an LX sized tractor. They stated Standard L or larger to gain more capacity and productivity for my property and needs. Just something to consider.

The L3902 will be a significant upgrade from your B2601 as I have experienced going from my B2601 to an L2501. You will gain stability, capacity and performance from the tractor and BH as well.

Mike
I'll be upgrading to L2501, not L3902.
But that's good to hear. Thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't "need" anything. This tractor is a toy. It's not for work, I'm not on a farm. I'm just a guy who spends all his money on a tractor instead of a camper or a boat. So I would get an MX if I could. Why? Same reasons the other guy would buy a bigger boat if he had access to a bigger lake and bigger bank account.

Like I said in the first post, I'm plenty happy with my snowblower and the PTO (rear snow blower). I'm plenty happy with the bucket although larger would be nice so I can do jobs faster. I'd be happier with a bigger backhoe. with the BH70, I'm a bit limited with the stumps I can pull out. My neighbour came to help me pull a stump out 2w ago. Hi L4901 didn't even flinch while still at low RPM. I can't afford a big tractor like this though. That's why I'm looking at the 3902. But if the BH77 will deliver the same power on the LX2601 and L3902, then I'd go with the LX.
You have to be careful when reading specification sheets.

The TOTAL hydraulic flow on the LX2620 is listed as 8.3 GPM but that is shared by the PS and implements.

The implement flow on an LX2610 is 5 GPM @ 2400 PSI

The implement flow on a L3901 is 6.8 GPM @ 2350 PSI

So in terms of backhoe operation the digging and lifting forces will be the same on both tractors but the speed of cylinder operation on a L3901 will be about 40% faster. The added size and weight of the L3901 will add to that advantage.

Dan

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
There some used B26 that are a bargain. Handy to have a compact powerful TLB. Better FEL and backhoe. Never had a tractor mounted backhoes I liked before graduating to the TLB series. 80% use the in 3pt hitch mode.
IMG_2757.jpeg

Easy to rent and try out for a weekend to see if you like. Even Home Depot has them.

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I'll be upgrading to L2501, not L3902.
But that's good to hear. Thanks.
Nice! You'll be following my upgrade path.

You'll really enjoy the L2501 / L2502. Great tractor!

Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
As others have said - same backhoe, same power.

This is a hobby tractor for you. The LX is a higher spec machine, and probably nicer to use. The L is a heavier but more budget machine. Sit on both. In your position I'd get the LX. But each to their own.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa

This is a hobby tractor for you. The LX is a higher spec machine, and probably nicer to use. The L is a heavier but more budget machine. Sit on both. In your position I'd get the LX. But each to their own.

The way I understand it, the lx would be higher apecs in terms of features (like mid-pto, console etc.. ) but the L is less fancy but is more of an industrial machine that packs a punch. You don't have a fancy feet carpet but you get heavy steel.

At least that's the way I understand the difference between both models. If I had to work with this machine 8h per day, then I can see why I'd want more comfort.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

@rc51stierhoff: so in your opinion, is the move from b2601 to l2502 significant enough in terms of the BH? The tractor is much heavier, the backhoe is more powerful, it has it's own seat, swivels 180 degrees. It sounds like a legit upgrade.

Another way to see it is: will this upgrade make me as happy as I was when going from from bx23s to b2601 ? That upgrade was worth the 10k I had to spend more.
that’s a great / tough question. Depends on your expectations vs does that match the machine and is that worth the price…without a demo I don’t think I could not decide myself even if someone else’s money. I love spending other people’s money but I could not answer that question in good faith for someone else judgement and expectation. Basically look at the trend…personally I’ve sort of done what you did…

for me personally i’ve had a BX and currently have a B (and an MX). That being said the BX does way more than some people think, but IMO a B is not much of an upgrade. Sure it lifts and pulls more as a percentage, but it’s not much in real work…for me I think the bigger benefit is the ground clearance if you play in the woods. A couple extra trip's with one machine or another to me is not worth the price difference. If I did not need the MMM I think the L is the way to go and I think I would have been better off to have had the L2501 all along or maybe even larger machine all along with a rear cutter and paid someone to either do some grading or cut some beloved trees down where I have some space constraints.

That doesn’t answer your question, but my point is be cautious of the dollar value of negligible gain. It’s not my money you are getting ready to spend…if you want a bigger machine do it…I love mine. But, if you have a tractor that suits youneeds and a backho already another viewpoint thats keep what you have and rent a bigger machine when you have enough work to do for a day or two or weekend. If you want a bigger machine there is no substitute other than pay the piper.

I think I’d try to demo the machine and backho you are considering even if that means find a rental place that has the machine you are considering and rent it for a day.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The issues with Regen:

1) It adds several thousand dollars to the price of the tractor. If you do not need a 25+HP tractor, you are paying extra for HP that you do not need and a more complicated emissions system to handle the extra HP that you do not need. If you need the extra HP, then it is just an additional cost for what you need.

2) It is a more complex system; and therefore, there is more to go wrong. Plus, there will eventually be some additional costs associated with the particulate cannister having to be cleaned after thousands of hours of use.

Awesome, +1 👆 Elliott summed it up exactly.

However, if you need the HP, well, thats a different story.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Awesome, +1 👆 Elliott summed it up exactly.

However, if you need the HP, well, thats a different story.
Well, with the L2501, adding power, isn’t a problem. My L2501 is punching far above its weight class!

Mike

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I'm currently thinking about getting a bigger tractor and I'm trying to understand the specs. I'm looking at lx2610, and l3902. I know they're very different but it's just to understand.

First thing I see is that the 3902 is much heavier. So to me it means the tractor is more stable when playing around with the backhoe. It's a big plus.

Both use the same backhoe. But I guess it wont be as stron on both tractors right?

The 3902's hydro pump is 6.3gpm whereas my b2601 is 8.3gpm. I dont understand this ... Wouldn't it mean my b2601 is stronger?

I get that the engine HP is directly linked to pto power. I dont care much. My b2601 has enough power for my snowblower use.

I'm just interested in a bigger backhoe basically. So would the lx2610 be a big upgrade over my b2601? Or maybe the l3902 is the real thing?
The gpm specs could be one with power steering included, the other with it not. Careful with those specs.

What are you trying to accomplish with a backhoe. Tractor mounted backhoes are a massive compromise.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Wait so this is your 3rd machine? You are loosing $$ at every step. Do you want to really list out the tasks you wish to accomplish with the upgrade this time so we can talk through them? The backhoe difference on the L25 vs your B26 isNT going to be that much. Plus now you have less ground clearance when going up hills (backhoe sticks way out). The extra seat to me is a huge minus. Why not consider a B26 or an L47 If you love the backhoe?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just my $0.02 If all your doing with the backhoe is digging out stumps. Consider getting the Woodland Mills WG-24 stump grinder. I use mine with me LX2610 and it works great also takes less room to store.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Just my $0.02 If all your doing with the backhoe is digging out stumps. Consider getting the Woodland Mills WG-24 stump grinder. I use mine with me LX2610 and it works great also takes less room to store.
Taking your idea a step further.... there are RENTAL shops all over the nation where you can get a stump-grinder for the limited time you need it.

You get a purpose-designed stump-removal tool which does a good job and you do not have to store the thing for 90% of its lifetime..... hence losing value by the time you get rid of it.

Infact, if you need a small excavator... you can RENT one of those too ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Taking your idea a step further.... there are RENTAL shops all over the nation where you can get a stump-grinder for the limited time you need it.

You get a purpose-designed stump-removal tool which does a good job and you do not have to store the thing for 90% of its lifetime..... hence losing value by the time you get rid of it.

Using that logic you can go one step further. You can actually pay someone to do it for you.

Dan

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan

Well that is true. The last few times I have rented a stump grinder. The teeth have been worn out. That just make the job twice as hard. I've hired out getting them ground and that's an option with I have 30 or so stumps that need grinding. But it's expensive to have just 1 or 2 done. Yes the grinder is $3 grand but I average 5-8 stumps a year that need to be done. And yes I have that many trees around here. I have 6 stumps to do from the storm that came thru last Thursday. Again everyone's land and situation is different. The key here is on these forums is to exchange ideas. As well as offer options for different tasks that we do.
Renting is a viable option if fact it often can be the best option. For example in my case a backhoe is not anything I have a use for. It's expensive to buy. But back 40+ years when I built my house that would have been a different story...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well that is true. The last few times I have rented a stump grinder. The teeth have been worn out. That just make the job twice as hard. I've hired out getting them ground and that's an option with I have 30 or so stumps that need grinding. But it's expensive to have just 1 or 2 done. Yes the grinder is $3 grand but I average 5-8 stumps a year that need to be done. And yes I have that many trees around here. I have 6 stumps to do from the storm that came thru last Thursday. Again everyone's land and situation is different. The key here is on these forums is to exchange ideas. As well as offer options for different tasks that we do.
Renting is a viable option if fact it often can be the best option. For example in my case a backhoe is not anything I have a use for. It's expensive to buy. But back 40+ years when I built my house that would have been a different story...
Home Depot wants $175 per day for a little stump grinder that is miserably slow andcwill beat you to death. Not viable for any real job.

I had a $100 per hour deal with a local guy with a Vermeer. I marked the stumps and he worked until I said stop. Pretty good deal and far more cost-effective than HD.

After spending several grand on stump grinding services I bought a WG24. It works great on my L3901 and will pay for itself in short order. I could ptobably sell it today for what I paid for it.

Dan

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
I think most people here understood this already but just to be clear: I'm not getting a new tractor to accomplish work, I'm creating work so I can buy a new tractor :)

I have a vacant lot that I wanna start clearing out. I want to buy a bigger tractor to get the pleasure to do it myself. It would be way cheaper and faster to rent a kx080 for one day. And then hire a bulldozer.

Reactions: 3 users