Truck Shopping.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds foolish, but tonight I did some truck shopping online.

Looks like there's a couple 2022 Chevy Work Truck 2500 4x4's on lots within 100 miles. Regular Cab with 6.6L (gasoline). Some have plow-package-ready. All were locking rear differential (important to me).

Thought was buy one. Pay cash or finance..not sure yet.

My 2017 Silverado 1500 Crew LT is almost 5 years old, with 41K. Perfect truck, 100% stock. Don't owe much on it, as I didn't finance much on that one for 60 months. Had a great trade, and a $9k (?) rebate.

Best part is it's RED HOT (that's the name of the color, and had 6 red Silverado's in a row).

They call it "Re-sale Red" for a reason...... also, 41k miles is a BIG attraction around here.

Wondering if I can get a good great $$ for the 2017 to get a good chunk of the 2500's purchase price of $47K?!?!?

I overload the half-ton truck on a regular basis. Have thought about a 3/4 truck the last couple trades, but the rebates on the Silverado 1500's have won out each time.

I prefer an extended cab, not crew. The <6' box on a crew is too short. I can live with the 6.5' on an extended cab. No grandchildren on the horizon, locally anyway....

After the "supply chain" issues turn around, "flip" the 2500 WT for a 2500 Ext. or Crew?

Does that sound like a reasonable tactic?

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
First part of the plan sounds good. You will make out good right now on your current truck. I wouldn’t expect the second part of flipping a regular cab work truck for a decent dollar once the new market gets back on track.

Thats from a guy that buys trucks at the “end” of their life 🤣

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
RCW, I know of two people that recently sold their used trucks for more than they paid. So, it really could work to your advantage.

Now the bad news...after a couple of months of searching for myself, I just bought a used truck (tonight) from a local dealer at their asking price :LOL:. I just got tired of looking and people not getting back to me on fb marketplace and craigslist. Now, I'll have some questions for the group in how to go about resolving an issue with it.

In any event, it could very well work to your advantage.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First part of the plan sounds good. You will make out good right now on your current truck. I wouldn’t expect the second part of flipping a regular cab work truck for a decent dollar once the new market gets back on track.

Thats from a guy that buys trucks at the “end” of their life 🤣
RCW, I know of two people that recently sold their used trucks for more than they paid. So, it really could work to your advantage.

Now the bad news...after a couple of months of searching for myself, I just bought a used truck (tonight) from a local dealer at their asking price :LOL:. I just got tired of looking and people not getting back to me on fb marketplace and craigslist. Now, I'll have some questions for the group in how to go about resolving an issue with it.

In any event, it could very well work to your advantage.
Thanks guys. I looked up average trade of my truck on KBB at "very good" condition. Surprised me at $36k+. "Good" condition wasn't much less. Sticker was $50k almost 5 years ago. I might consider a trade..... outright sale looks better. I know a few folks that would like it.

Ford - - -my thought was the equity could be rolled from the 2017 into the 2022; if I took a hit on that in 2023 or 24, that's okay.. Pisser if I couldn't get red though.....

dirty - - I've heard the same thing. No dealing on used. Even the trade on KBB surprised me. We've bought 12 new cars and trucks from the same place in 20 years. They like my trades, but wonder how they'd respond in this market..

As an aside, my wife puts a lot more miles on her car. I don't on my truck.

Maybe I could keep her car for me to drive day-in-day out, sell/trade the 2017 Silverado in favor of a new Equinox and WT2500.....

Hmmm....there might be some merit in that......We bought both 4 weeks apart almost 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I’ve been looking too. Used trucks are absolutely stupid right now. I bet you’d get enough from the 17 to buy the 22 outright.

I’m leaning hard on a 22 F250 with 7.3L. Hard to cough up $64k though.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I’ve been looking too. Used trucks are absolutely stupid right now. I bet you’d get enough from the 17 to buy the 22 outright.

I’m leaning hard on a 22 F250 with 7.3L. Hard to cough up $64k though.
I hear ya. Looked for quotes on cab/chassis F350 w/ 7.3. Most of the local dealers are now up-charging a 15K "market adjustment" above MSRP. It's friggin nuts out there.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
dirty - - I would buy a new year 2022 Chevy 2500 truck.

I think/hope they would stick to MSRP, but there are "aberrations" from MSRP, as we've heard about.

I heard of a Mercedes-Benz dealership selling a new "unclaimed" vehicle that showed up on the lot from the factory for 200%+ of the sticker....

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I hear ya. Looked for quotes on cab/chassis F350 w/ 7.3. Most of the local dealers are now up-charging a 15K "market adjustment" above MSRP. It's friggin nuts out there.
That’s ridiculous. I will refuse to pay over MSRP. Both dealers I’ve talked to are MSRP, $500 “dealer fee” and tax/tag/title. So, not terrible.

Also, I’ve seen 17-21 F250’s with 150-200k miles listed for $50+

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Go to the Carvana website and look at the prices people are paying for used trucks . Its nuts. Often they will show the original sticker. Lots of used trucks seem to be selling for more than what they had sold for when new. Its kind of like the market for Kubota tractors. It gets to the point where the warranty and 0% financing become the key decision drivers. I bought both a new Ford F150 and a new B2601 recently (not bragging) after having agonized over the price of both used trucks and tractors. Good luck.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Havnt had my 21 6 months yet and was already called and asked if I wanted to trade it at the 6 month mark... only reason I said no was because I ordered this as what I wanted and getting a diesel is impossible right now.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I saw on the news recently the computer chip factory in china is ravaged with the virus now and after getting to full production for a few months they are at 10% production again.
So the auto shortage is not going away.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, think my theory is flawed....

Got looking closer. The Chevy Regular Cab 2500's were ''In Transit," not on the lot.

Guessing/betting they're already sold.

Like Fordtech pointed out, they may not have the re-sale of an Ext. or Crew down the road.

There seem to be a few Chevy Crew Cab 2500's in same area. Haven't checked them yet closely, but a couple are WT's for about $48k. I think I saw a 1LT for $52k or so. They may be the same thing...already sold.

My 1LT Silverado 1500 Z71 sticker was $50k 5 years ago. A similar 2500 was $56, diesel $63. No 17-20% rebates on 2500's back then. Not any rebates on any trucks now, of course.

Looks like a new Silverado 1500 1LT runs about $55-65 now....jeesh....

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just go back from the dealer to pic up the "new" used truck. Get this.

My wife called them last evening (after I decided to throw in the towel and surrender) to put a deposit of 5K on the truck (on CC). Sales manager was all happy and said he was going to mark the truck as "sold". Wife worked on getting certified check today from bank while the dealer was working on cleaning up the truck and fresh service.

I get a call this afternoon (after talking with my salesman) from the Sales manager that we'd better come by 9 pm tonight to pick up the vehicle, or he couldn't guarantee that it would still be there. I told them that we were working on getting the insurance coverage and that we could pick it up friday as agreed to by the salesman. I thought we were fine since the manager told us the night before that he would mark it as sold. WTF?

In any event, my wife was able to get all the funds/insurance done and the truck is in our driveway. But this is what's going on in the auto sales business. RCW, if you find something you really like, snag it. I think prices are going to continue upwards for a while longer.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Used to be 5% below invoice was an average deal. Now MSRP is a good deal. Dealers want you to think they are doing you a favor by even letting you buy a truck.

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
In October we traded in a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and received within $300 of what we paid for it new on a new 2021 Dodge Ram. Also, if you trade in at the dealer the trade in price is subtracted from the new vehicle price saving that much on sales tax you need to pay on the new vehicle.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I took my 2016 Silverado in for state inspection, and was offered 30k for it on a trade in and I wasnt even looking, and it has 60k on on the clock. The used market from what I understand is high because so much stuff for the new ones is in such short supply. I thanked the sales man and said it is paid for so we are good thank you

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2 things about trading in 'old' for new
1) dealer WILL make money reselling your trade in
2) dealer WILL make money selling you your new ride

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
2 things about trading in 'old' for new
1) dealer WILL make money reselling your trade in
2) dealer WILL make money selling you your new ride
they aren’t in the business of losing money... I got my 2021 for 7k under msrp taxes in. Thanks to some discounts and a family member. They made money even though I saved that much. I also was lucky that I ordered it while there were still deals. If I didn’t love this diesel so much, I could get msrp on trade and get A new truck with a 5.3 and put some cash in my pocket.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I wonder what my 2003 2500 duramax diesel is worth? People keep wanting to know if it is for sale. It's not. Insurance guy said I should take comprehensive coverage off it, but about 5 years ago someone at dealership said it was worth 20k, people liked that model. Good shape.