BUT

Why would that blow apart rather then the Shear Pin

I checked the obvious before I go to town to buy a new PTO shaft

The PTO is spinning when engaged
The Blower Auger and Lift can be turned by hand
The Pin is still good
The Chain moves freely
The gears are clear and engaged

I was digging deep and moving as much of the base off the road as possible and I did push it hard into some deep stuff..
I know it was my fault and I accept that but it still makes no sense to me why the U-joint and Cradle at the PTO

Angle ??? Did I maybe stress it when the Blower dug down and in ???

Ideas Gents ????

I won't know for sure until I hook it all back up and engage the drive with my fingers crossed
But I have spun it all by hand and everything is moving freely with the Shaft disengaged...

TIA

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I would remove the shear bolt, make sure it is the correct one, and when it's out, make sure that where the shear bolt goes through spins separately. Without the shear bolt, the blower should turn without turning the drive shaft.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Is it a front or rear blower?
Rear 60" Farm King been using it since 2007 on two different Kubotas

I would remove the shear bolt, make sure it is the correct one, and when it's out, make sure that where the shear bolt goes through spins separately. Without the shear bolt, the blower should turn without turning the drive shaft.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
They are and they do, haven't changed the recommended set up for the Blower..
Same bolts as I have been using since 2008 when I found that the previous owner had used the wrong ones .. Went back to exactly what the maker recommended and have had these bolts pop a few times over the years..

U-joint failure. They do that. As it comes apart sometimes things get out of alignment and take parts out with it.
This was my thought also, I was running with the Blower adjusted to scrape heavy and dug into some deep compounded snow.. My thought was I stressed the angle of that shaft too much and Bam !!!

Thanks gents keep the thoughts coming :)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I dont know if you have seen this chart before describing how pto joint life is greatly shortened by joint angle.

The failure envisioned by this chart is a failure of the joint and supporting ears.
If the two u joints are running at different angles because your blower is not level because it was deliberately tilted to dig in, then the joint life will be even shorter.

Although my pto and blower were new in 2012 and the joint angles are minimal, last year I decided to buy a new pto and then take my time rebuilding the old one so I was not in a jamb in the middle of a storm.

The new T50 complete pto shaft from the blower manufacturer was $380 including shipping. Not the cheapest source of supply, but I am old and did not want any grief. Just remove the old one and put the new one on with no cutting to length, making certain I had the right shear bolt for my blower etc.

Dave M7040

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
gssixgun,
We have another wave that is supposed to hit us tomorrow night.
So give a shout if you need some more help. ;)

I've stressed enough joints like that and had all sorts break on me, it's usually a angle issue, and it could have been one time when it dropped a little lower than normal and stressed the joint, or as the bearings fail it causes some odd stress and snaps the joint, or just plan old, old age.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hey guys: Posting experiences and costs for snow blowers helps me to justify never buying such an attachment. I'l stick with my rear blade and bucket. Thanks.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Just another thought here: Have you kept up with the lubrication?

The zerks on the crosses are just enough of a PITA to get at that sometimes the urge to skip them gets overwhelming.

We're supposed to get 8-12 tomorrow. If we do, it'll be the first blow-able snow of the winter. I need to remember to plug in the tractor and grease the blower when I go down to shut the birds up for the night.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Hey guys: Posting experiences and costs for snow blowers helps me to justify never buying such an attachment. I'l stick with my rear blade and bucket. Thanks.
I suspect the snowblower number of problems to number of hours ratio is pretty low, so it may not be as great an issue as you perceive. Regardless, there are some situations where pushing the snow out of the way is not an option and/or the cost of a blower attachment is far less than the cost of a machine with a tall enough loader.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Unless you only get a few inches per year, the cost is well worth the benefit. 4 years with the bucket and rear blade before I broke down and bought the front blower. After the first storm I was already kicking myself for not buying it with the tractor.

What you rarely see on forums is the thousands of people with no issues. Heck, read through the forum long enough and you can talk yourself out of a Kubota with fuel issues, DPF problems, bent FEL's, leak down 3pt's ect.

Believe me the blowers simply blow away the fel/back blade and are well worth the cost and normal maintenance.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
gssixgun,
We have another wave that is supposed to hit us tomorrow night.
So give a shout if you need some more help. ;)

I've stressed enough joints like that and had all sorts break on me, it's usually a angle issue, and it could have been one time when it dropped a little lower than normal and stressed the joint, or as the bearings fail it causes some odd stress and snaps the joint, or just plan old, old age.

Thanks for the help..

I think our idea of fixing the old one and buying a new one is the way to go

Many thanks for the loaner front half shaft for this storm, measuring over 6 inches of snow already..

That 4 am wake up is going to come way too early :(

Talk at ya soon

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glad I could help out, Can't have you buried over there! :D
Yea 4 am for me too, it's what we do to keep important people moving! ;)

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Worked perfectly :)

I noticed a lower Db level too, so I think you were right that the joint was maybe just going bad :( Just a little too much push on my part and BAM !!!!

A foot of snow or close to it and then the Rain began at 5 am Oh Yeah Oh Joy Oh Rapture !!!!!