Trouble using grease gun

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Do I need to buy just the LockNLube coupler or the entire "spin on pistol-grip grease gun kit?" Is the Walmart gun I have okay, or is it so bad that it won't work at all?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
WH, I'd put the very end of the metal that goes over the grease fitting in a vise, then take a wrench or vice grip and tighen as tight as you can. Turn to release the adjustment. If you smash it go to the hardware or auto parts store and buy a new one. If you screw the grease fitting back in to grease you still can't get the hose off!

I have never seen a grease coupling that is not adjustable.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Do I need to buy just the LockNLube coupler or the entire "spin on pistol-grip grease gun kit?" Is the Walmart gun I have okay, or is it so bad that it won't work at all?
You can buy either, just depends on what you would like to use. I myself have a DeWalt electric grease gun with a Lock-N-Lube attached to it. You can put the Lock-n-Lube on any grease gun that I'm aware of.

I would say your Walmart grease gun is fine and if you are like most of us, you will end up with a collection of them.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I got the piece out of the grease gun. I screwed it into the joint on the backhoe. Is this what its supposed to look like? There is no hole for the grease to go into. Am I misunderstanding something? What is the grease gun supposed to do? Just push grease around the outside of this bolt? It really seems like something is wrong here...

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir because you guys are very helpful, but why aren't there videos that show what to do with my problem? It's almost like people don't want new people to learn how to use a tractor to grow food. Does anyone know a place where a new guy like me can learn if they don't know some of the basics? Maybe I need to start a site that does that?
Don't know where you are, but make friends with someone that owns a tractor, and shadow them for a few days. If you want to get your hands dirty, then offer to do the work while they supervise you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I got the piece out of the grease gun. I screwed it into the joint on the backhoe. Is this what its supposed to look like? There is no hole for the grease to go into. Am I misunderstanding something? What is the grease gun supposed to do? Just push grease around the outside of this bolt? It really seems like something is wrong here...
That is not a bolt, but a "pin" with a grease nipple in the center. That grease nipple is painted shut. You need to scrape the paint off the head of the nipple so it can take the grease. Most of them have paint on them from the factory and using a small knife you have to clean them before attempting to grease them. The paint is probably the reason that it got stuck in your grease gun. Always wipe away the dirt before greasing the tractor. If you want to make your life a lot easier, then buy an electric grease gun.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Its the first one - it has threads.
Then you should be able to screw it back in and pump grease into it.

How much grease? Loaders for example, you grease til you see it just to start coming out. There are some grease spots (I can think on my tractor there is one spot) that you have to be careful not to blow out a seal.

That is the importance of reading the manual and it will tell you if you have any of these types of spots.

I seen these videos and thought they may help you

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Willow HS welcome to the forum. DustyRusty told you right.

The “dimple“ in the center of the zerk head in your picture should appear to be a small ball. The ball moves to allow grease in when you pump it in. It closes when you release pressure to hold the grease in.

Yours is painted over.

Scrape the paint off the top and it should free the ball to work as designed.

I use a lock and lube connection and love it but not required. Some like electric grease guns (I don’t have one) but again not required.

Make sure the zerk You reinstalled is tight but don’t over tighten and strip the threads. Grease away.

You got this!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Willow, welcome aboard.

Taka a small awl (like in ice pick) and push the tip of the awl into the very center of your painted over grease fitting. The awl will push in the center ball of the grease nipple and allow you to add grease. All you are trying to do here is break the paint seal that is covering the ball in the grease nipple. Once you break that seal you'll be good to go.

here's what they should look like.

grease fitting.JPG

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Wow!!! Kubota is not using gold grease fittings. It is no wonder the tractors have become so expensive! I must have purchased the cheap model since mine is silver-colored... :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow!!! Kubota is not using gold grease fittings. It is no wonder the tractors have become so expensive! I must have purchased the cheap model since mine is silver-colored... :giggle:
Willow - - the color of the fittings does not matter in your application.

Dirtydeed was giving you examples, and great advice regarding freeing the top ball with an awl. :cool:

Dusty's comments may confuse things.

If you're buying new fittings, they do not need to be "gold"...any fitting of same specification will work, regardless of color. Many are a grey/silver steel fitting, but any color works.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Read this and loosen the clamping force on the zerk.
Wow, you learn something new every day! I'm 65 and have used grease guns for years and never knew this one.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This thread may have the potential to become more convoluted than the hundreds of posts drain plug removal thread, or the "pallets in the field" thread, over on TBN last year.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
All of the tips I have owned can be adjusted so tight that the coupler cannot be removed from the zerk, or so loose that is will not grip at all.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
To be fair to the OP. Do grease guns come with instructions ?
Mine were hand me downs and then purchased but never looked for paper work.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BTW, while you have the grease gun out, be sure to pull back the flap on the rubber floormat by your right foot and grease the fwd-rev pedal Zerk !!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yinz guys is cold,,,
Welcome to a very large and some what dysfunctional family.
Lil Foot's post shows a lot of things, that 99% of people don't know about grease guns.
I sure didnt know about the nozzle, and I have been around them for years!
And do not feel like you are asking a dumb question, be cause you are not!
Simply put, you don't know, what you don't know, and the only way to learn is to ask questions.
No one knows everything, but odds are someone in here knows something.

Reactions: 3 users