Trouble using grease gun

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I tried to use a grease gun on my BX23S backhoe and the very first time I tried it, the gun seems to have somehow pulled the pin (?) out from the fitting. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Notice the orange item sticking out from the tip of the grease gun. I can't pull it out by twisting or pulling straight out. Maybe I just have to pull harder, but I hesitate to do so because it may damage something. I apologize profusely for my ignorance. I'm really trying here, but there are just things I don't know - I appreciate any help more than you can know.

Attachments

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I tried to use a grease gun on my BX23S backhoe and the very first time I tried it, the gun seems to have somehow pulled the pin (?) out from the fitting. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Notice the orange item sticking out from the tip of the grease gun. I can't pull it out by twisting or pulling straight out. Maybe I just have to pull harder, but I hesitate to do so because it may damage something. I apologize profusely for my ignorance. I'm really trying here, but there are just things I don't know - I appreciate any help more than you can know.
I've watched many Youtube videos about how to grease your BX23S, but no one shows anything similar to what happened to me here. Everyone just sticks the tip into the grease point and everything happens smoothly. No one said, "If your grease gun pulls out the stem of the grease point, here's what you do to fix that...."

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Did I buy the wrong grease gun or use the wrong size or something? Are all grease guns the same size? I got it at Walmart-is it a bad gun that ruins your grease points? Where should I buy one that works correctly?

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
You’ve undone your zerk fitting. Try and relocate it and screw back in, twill be awkward, then squeeze trigger to release from fitting. Then tighten fitting properly and re grease. Don’t twist the grease gun this time and you should leave the zerk fitting in place. Google zerk fitting to see exactly what you should be seeing.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
58Ford hit the nail on the head, you zerk fitting came out in your grease gun. Screw it back in and most likely you will be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Normally, after inserting the cartridge into the grease gun, the loading lever is released to allow the spring inside the gun to apply pressure to the grease in the tube. It appears the zerk fitting from the tractor is stuck in the grease gun fitting. That indicates it was not screwed tightly into the tractor. Clamp the flats of the fitting in a vise and pull the grease gun fitting off. Use caution to grab the flats on the fitting and not the threaded area. Put the fitting back into the tractor and tighten securely.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I can't thank all of you enough for your help. My problem now is that I can't get the zerk fitting off of the grease gun tip. I've turned it dozens of times and also pulled but its just stuck in there. Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I can't thank all of you enough for your help. My problem now is that I can't get the zerk fitting off of the grease gun tip. I've turned it dozens of times and also pulled but its just stuck in there. Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?
You're not holding your tongue correctly. :p

As Roadworthy pointed out, you may need to put it in a vise and use pliers to remove it, but try not to damage the threads, otherwise you will be buying a new zerk.

Also, you may want to look into a Lock-n-Lube connector for your grease gun. I would guess that is one of the most popular attachments added to grease guns.

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
So I'm supposed to leave the zerk fitting in the tip of the grease gun and rotate the entire grease gun to seat the zerk fitting back into the tractor? Then pull the trigger of the grease gun and it will release the zerk fitting?

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
You're not holding your tongue correctly. :p

As Roadworthy pointed out, you may need to put it in a vise and use pliers to remove it, but try not to damage the threads, otherwise you will be buying a new zerk.

Also, you may want to look into a Lock-n-Lube connector for your grease gun. I would guess that is one of the most popular attachments added to grease guns.
The zerk fitting spins around, but never comes off. I figured that if I could get it to spin counterclockwise it would eventually come off. But it just spins and spins. A vise won't help because that's not the problem.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Perhaps you are using the wrong battery in your grease gun? 😂

• Haha

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
Oh, and I never twisted the grease gun when trying to apply grease the first time. Maybe that will help figure out what went wrong?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is a long shot, but some fittings that go on the zerks can be turned (adjusted) to cause the fitting to grab the zerk relatively tightly or more loosely.

Can't tell from you photo if you have that type or not. Try turning the fitting the zerk is stuck in, and see if that loosens it. Doubt this is your issue, but it might be.

On the zerk itself, are there threads on the end, or simply splines or maybe smooth? I have read that some zerks are pressed in, rather that screwed it. So pulling hard on a pressed in zerk could pull it out.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The zerk fitting spins around, but never comes off. I figured that if I could get it to spin counterclockwise it would eventually come off. But it just spins and spins. A vise won't help because that's not the problem.
The zerk will spin in the grease gun tip. The zerk is just pressure fitted into the grease gun tip. Typically, when the zerk is on the tractor, you push the tip the side and the grease gun tip will come off the zerk (I use Lock-n-Lube connector so I just press the handle).

Now, if you are trying to insert the zerk into the tractor and the zerk is just spinning, then you most likely have stripped out the threads and need to do a quick re-thread with a tap and die set to get you back into service.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Read this and loosen the clamping force on the zerk.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't feel bewildered! Many long time users of grease guns do not know the end fitting on the grease gun is adjustable. You need to take a wrench and a pliers and unscrew that fitting. Once it is loose you can usually turn it with just your fingers. The tightness (or looseness) adjust how the grease gun attaches to the fitting.

Reactions: 4 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sorry, but I don't understand. There's no battery, its just manual. Did I buy the wrong kind?
He is just having a little fun with you.

Don't stress, we have all been newbies and have had to go through the learning curve. You have a great bunch of people on this forum who have a ton of knowledge and can generally walk you through any issue.

Just realize, that we also like to poke a little fun along the way.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry, but I don't understand. There's no battery, its just manual. Did I buy the wrong kind?
BINGO!
Yup...."wrong kind",....... in my opinion.
But.....that is personal opinion only!
What you bought......will work just fine!