Translation

JLMullins

Equipment
L3800 Gear 4X4
Feb 25, 2014
TN
Can anyone out there translate the specs. This mm crap confuses me. I am US and I have only dealt with English measurements.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
There are lots of online conversion services available. Just search for conversion factor. You can set what you are converting from and to, then enter the number of units. I just got a new computer with Windoz 7, and the calculator included has a conversion version also.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Great question: Now try figuring out what a Newton is or a Pascal? Or a bar? I do know that a fig-newton tastes pretty good as a snack.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can anyone out there translate the specs. This mm crap confuses me. I am US and I have only dealt with English measurements.
you know, ifn we in this country were not so damn stubborn, that thar Metric system would make a hell of a lot of sense.......

whatever king, divided the FOOT into 12 equal pieces, then got drunk and divided that into 16 equal pieces should have been shot!!!

having tried to teach these generation of high school kids over the last 30 years, the metric system is soooo simple, but then again - I have to wrap my head around a 1/2 liter drink.....mmmmm......oh, ok that is a 1/4 of a 2 liter!!!!:eek:

but seriously there are great sites out there that can covert easily, i keep a short cut on the desktop for those times my brain and calculator need a break.:D

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
Easiest way to translate metric, is to not translate... You now have a metric machine, buy yourself a full set of metric tools. Metric is available in the US just as much as SAE now. When it comes to liters to quarts and gallons, nearly all containers of fluids in the US are dual marked in that they will have quart/gallon/oz as well as the liter marked by the simple ( L ). If you want cc to L its really simple 1000cc is 1L. So to make life with your metric equipment a lot less of a brain ache stop trying to convert the mm to inch and just go get the mm you need

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree why translate, metric is easier and in some cases more precise.
Metric Bolt's won't cross over, metric nut's won't cross over, neither will metric O-rings, fittings, and other things so leave it metric.
If it's a length thing go buy a metric tape measure and save that abuse too.
And if it's caliper measurements your messing with, just get a digital one of those, they will do both inch and metric! ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I think its old habit,, us OLD guys have worked with sae for most all of our lives, so when this metric shyt comes along it becomes very confuseing like when I do something on the Silverado,, I need both sae and metric stuff,, I also hate metric but its become a world economy, so we do what we have to do to get it done

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
very confuseing like when I do something on the Silverado,, I need both sae and metric stuff,
I know what you mean about GM stuff, I had an '86 Monte Carlo SS (the car from hell)….. had to replace the water pump….. it had hex head, allen head, torx, and star drive bolts, all in both SAE & metric sizes. My tool selection tripled in size after that nightmare job.

As a toolmaker trained in US measure, I instantly, instinctively know exactly how big something is in decimals of an inch, like .001, .0001, .00001. Give me the same decimals of a millimeter, and I have to stop & think. I rarely got a print dimensioned using the metric system, but when I did, I usually just converted everything to inches…. it's just comfortable for me. I imagine my counterparts raised in the metric system do the same thing in the opposite direction when confronted by inch dimensioning.