Trailer Size?

steve104c

Equipment
L4600,loader,backhoe w/hydro-thumb, rear blade
Jan 21, 2014
Texas
What size trailer do I need to get to transport a L4600 w/front loader and a BH92 backhoe? How long? Shortest I can get by with?...............Steve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Should be able to comfortably load it on a medium to heavy weight dual axle 16 to 18 foot trailer.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I would suggest that you go with an 18 foot dual axel trailer with electric brakes. I have an 18 foot 10,000# Big Tex dual axel trailer with brakes and equalizer hitch to pull my L35 TLB total weight with tires loaded is about 7500 lbs which I believe is a tad heavier than your setup. However in order to get the balance right I need to back the tractor on to the trailer and rest the backhoe bucket slightly forward onto the hitch. I probably would have been better with a 20 foot trailer but it would be just a little too long for my storage shed. I have put a link below to my picture album on this site and if you view Big Tex Trailer you will see my setup. I made a wooden platform that rests on the front guard rail and the hitch channel that the backhoe bucket is chained down to. I also made a couple of wedge risers for the loading ramps to reduce the angle getting on to the trailer so I don't bottom out. You can also see how I chained the tractor, backhoe and FEL to the trailer in order to be legal. I towed this over 500 miles home when I bought the tractor in Calgary AB. I hope this is helpful to you and I also hope the link to the pictures works as I have not tried it before. Good Luck Don......

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/album.php?u=10670

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I built a 6x16 trailer for my L185DT, with loader and back hoe. The inside width is about 70". You'll want more. The overall length was just OK, but yours is a bigger tractor, + bigger loader, + bigger backhoe. I'd figure 18' minimum. Probably 20', if you are apt to load up any other equipment. And go for heavy duty - tractors tend to gain weight as they age.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
I would consider 20 ft. I have a 16 ft 7000 GVW tandem axle for my L3800/loader/backhoe. I cannot lower the backhoe boom to the trailer bed and I need to leave the the boom locked when I drive. It is recommended that you be able to lower the boom when you are traveling.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That big of a tractor I'd defiantly get a deck over trailer rated for 10-12 thousand with atleast an 18 foot flat deck. The 4600 is a wide beefy tractor and I would imagine if you stuck it on a lower deck trailer between fenders it'll be pretty snug and not leave much wiggle room to climb onto the trailer then tractor.

Either a deck over tag along or a goose neck would work.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/flatbed-trailers/flatbed-trailer

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/gooseneck-trailers/gooseneck-trailer-flatbed

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ohh forgot to mention.... the other reason why I say deck over it with those you get an extra 5 feet of deck space with the dovetail. Make it real handy to fold the boom down and rest it on the tailend.

fishkiller73

Equipment
L4600,LA764 Loader,LP RCR1860, LP BB1572,LP LR3584,wallenstein FX90,LP rbt 3584
Oct 25, 2013
sanford michigan
10,000# twin axle 20ft with beaver tail, adjustable ramps and elec. brakes are what i haul my l4600 on.i would not go any smaller than that.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
The guy is asking what is the smallest trailer that will work. Tractordata says the tractor is 3200lbs. Plus loader, BH, and tire ballast if he's got it. I don't see him needing a 10-12K 20 foot deckover gooseneck. Seems any common 16 foot 7K trailer would probably do the job. He also doesn't say whether this is a one time or regular transport situation, or what he's towing with. We need more info.

Last edited:

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I agree that a 3200 lb tractor only can be easily handled by a 16 ft 7000 lb trailer but after you add the front end loader approx 1000 lbs and the back hoe approx 1200 lbs you are getting close to 5500 lbs if you don't load the tires. Add the trailer weight of 2000 to 2500 pounds and you could be overloaded on a 7,000 trailer. You would be wise IMHO to go the extra margin to 10,000 lb gvwr trailer. Also the tractor is just over 10 ft long, add 3+ feet for the FEL and 4 to 5 ft for the BH strapped down on the deck while travelling and you will be hanging over a 16 ft trailer. My recomendation is an 18 ft trailer in order to have adequate room to obtain proper hitch ballance on the tongue of 10 to 15% of the total weight including trailer and a safer option especially if you wanted to carry anything else. The OPs 5.2 foot wide tactor will fit easily between the fenders of a regular equipment type trailer which is lower to the ground and a little less expensive than going deckover model which usually requires a beaver tail or very long ramps due to the extra height. Unless you are planning to go 5th wheel hookup, get a load equalizer hitch, it makes towing a regular trailer smoother and safer with loads over 6000 lbs. I don't profess to be an expert, but I regularly tow a 30 ft, 12,000 lb travel trailer from Canada to California as a Snowbird and I can handle over 100 bales of hay or my 7,000 lb tractor on my 18 ft 10,000 lb trailer without ever being concerned about a margin of safety. These are just my opinions and one of the advantages of OTT is that you will get lots of varying views and everyone is trying to give their ideas to hopefully help you make the choice that is best fit for your circumstances. Good luck with your choice.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know people haul with 7K 16' trailers all the time. I drug my L3000 all over the place with mine. But even pulling with my F250 when I had the loader and backhoe on the tractor I felt like I was crossing the line of just plain stupid. The tractor was 5K and the trailer was 2500+ so by all rights it was overloaded. I really started thinking more about the need for safety when my wife and kids started going to jobs with me. Then thinking a step further it wasn't just my family could have been your family that I was putting in harms way because I didn't have the propper equipment. :mad:

I hope it never happens but I would hate to live with the fact that I killed someones wife or child because I cut corners on my trailer.

If you get the right trailer the first time more than likely you'll never need another one.
It's hard enough to get down the road safely as it is. Never knowing what the other drivers are going to be doing, phone, tx, makeup, changing clothes, sex. I've seen it all and while all that is going on I don't need to worry about my trailer acting up. JMHO

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do think there is one misconception out there. Length = strength = weight carrying ability.

I have a 8' trailer that will haul more weight then my 20' trailer, it's just a lot better built trailer, heavier axles, springs, frame and hitch.

I have seen some 16' to 18' built for 10k
I'd rather tow a 16' trailer around than my 20' trailer, it's just way to hard to maneuver in tight situations.

steve104c

Equipment
L4600,loader,backhoe w/hydro-thumb, rear blade
Jan 21, 2014
Texas
MagKarl, Just need it to trans. back and forth to dealer when need repairs. Also I will use for other stuff. Have a 1/2 ton Chevy PU......Steve