Trailer ball mount

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Has anyone out there ever mounted a trailer ball to your front end loader. Is there any idea’s going around. I would like to be able to move trailers around with my tractor.
I would like for it to be removable so it is not in the way. It would be nice to have different ball sizes.
Thank you any ideas.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
depending on what is ON the trailer ........... a 3 point works well or draw bar mount

there are clamp on ball mounts however

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
You have a quick hitch? If so make up a hitch plate with a 2" receiver. If not then burn or drill a hole into the cut edge of the bucket for a hitch ball. Just moving stuff around the house the 1 7/8" will work fine.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s maybe not exactly what you are asking…I have a 2 inch receiver welded on the bucket (not the loader). You can then use what ever hitch you like in it. (Use with a shackle and strap or a variety of hitches including trailer ball. Depending on your trailer height and the departure on the back end of trailer it can be an issue depending on the top height of the bucket vs the height of the trailer tongue and how high you have to lift the tongue…can be issue pushing towards an incline at the apron of is driveway (as an example) at least it is for my MX and my utility trailer that has a dovetail. Otherwise it works great for pushing trailers and wagons. If you don’t need it welded on I believe titan and heavy hitch and several others have a very simple bolt on receiver. (Search for ‘bolt on 2” receiver’)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Another thought…if you have pallet forks, you could machine or plasma cut a hole in a tine and drop a trailer ball in…that would work also.

Reactions: 1 user

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
made this for top of bucket slip in a 16" drop wirh 2" ball i made ( no picks of that ) works moving boat / log splitter & small yard trailer with practice you can hook up with getting off tractor in the yard do not need to lock coupler

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

post #6

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It’s maybe not exactly what you are asking…I have a 2 inch receiver welded on the bucket (not the loader). You can then use what ever hitch you like in it. (Use with a shackle and strap or a variety of hitches including trailer ball. Depending on your trailer height and the departure on the back end of trailer it can be an issue depending on the top height of the bucket vs the height of the trailer tongue and how high you have to lift the tongue…can be issue pushing towards an incline at the apron of is driveway (as an example) at least it is for my MX and my utility trailer that has a dovetail. Otherwise it works great for pushing trailers and wagons. If you don’t need it welded on I believe titan and heavy hitch and several others have a very simple bolt on receiver. (Search for ‘bolt on 2” receiver’)
I have a receiver bolted to the top underside of my bucket on my little Ford 1920.
Clearance under the tongue is a problem, due to the bucket edge touching the ground.
I have recently ordered an 18" hitch extender that will move the ball further forward for visibility, and I will then be able to use a 4"drop hitch insert, to provide more ground clearance.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
The previous owner of my BX drilled a hole to mount a trailer ball. I have used it for some small trailers I have and it worked okay. Biggest issue is that I can't see the ball while sitting in the drivers seat.

I only use it if I have an implement on the 3-point that I don't want to take off at the time. If I don't I use my receiver that hooks to my 3-point. I can see it from the drivers seat so it is way easier to hook up.

I am going to be trailering in some gravel and river rock. I am hoping i can use the ball on my FEL to raise the front of the trailer to dump the rock so I don't have to shovel it. We will see if it works......might be a great idea or it might crash and burn......

IMG_6058.JPG

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Thanks for all of the ideas. I did not realize that there was so many options out there.
Now I just need to decide.
thanks again.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I use a 3 point mounted trailer hitch. I bought mine from online (first "after market" item I purchased for my BX2380). I have since added a quick hitch and the trailer hitch was too narrow to work. I bought some 22M bolts to replace the lower pins to widen it and now it fits perfectly in the QH. If you are opt to go with one, pay attention to measurements and if you have a QH or not.

Dan

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
buckethitch1.JPG buckethitch2.jpg buckethookC.jpg buckethookD.JPG

The support to the center hook keeps a heavier trailer from over-flexing the bucket bottom.

The ball is visible from the seat, which makes it much easier to use.

A conventional ball mount in the rise position could be used. I found the fabricated one I used at a yard sale.

It can be mounted or dismounted in 2-3 minutes.

Bruce

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I looked for this at Princess Auto y'day to slip over a pallet fork, but couldn't find it.
Thought it was a good idea. Maybe better than drilling a hole in a fork?
fork ball mount

1655990846957.png

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Has anyone out there ever mounted a trailer ball to your front end loader. Is there any idea’s going around. I would like to be able to move trailers around with my tractor.
I would like for it to be removable so it is not in the way. It would be nice to have different ball sizes.
Thank you any ideas.
This is what I came up with. I can remove it easily to use the bucket forks.

Attachments

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
The previous owner of my BX drilled a hole to mount a trailer ball. I have used it for some small trailers I have and it worked okay. Biggest issue is that I can't see the ball while sitting in the drivers seat.

I only use it if I have an implement on the 3-point that I don't want to take off at the time. If I don't I use my receiver that hooks to my 3-point. I can see it from the drivers seat so it is way easier to hook up.
The previous owner welded a ball to the top rail of my FEL bucket and while i CAN see it, it limits how low of a trailer tongue I can get under. I have to set the trailer back down with the tongue jack extended all the way, or on some tall blocks, otherwise I cant get back out from under it. If a trailer has just come off a truck at a 'normal' parking height, i cant get under it to begin with. In that case i simply lift the tongue with the bucket edge, extend the jack or add blocks under it, and then hook it 'properly', but it's still highly imperfect and not where I would have welded it if i had my way. I will cut it off someday.

I like using the 3pt to line up trailer balls quite a bit more, and here's a big reason which i never see anyone mentioning: If you leave your stabilizer links loose and are on a small tractor (like a BX) you can actually reach back and shift the thing side to side several inches by hand. So you don't even have to be perfectly lined up, as long as you can reach back and push on the top link a little while your other hand lifts the 3pt lever up until you're coupled.

I am going to be trailering in some gravel and river rock. I am hoping i can use the ball on my FEL to raise the front of the trailer to dump the rock so I don't have to shovel it. We will see if it works......might be a great idea or it might crash and burn......
I have actually done that. The issue I had was i was using a 5x8 utility trailer with expanded metal decking, so it took a LOT more angle than i thought to get the material moving, and since my small loader doesn't have the lift height to stand the thing up on end, i still had to get out and shovel probably the last 20% off the trailer. I think if you are using a trailer with pretty much ANY other kind of decking, it will work just fine. Even if you can't get all the rock OUT of the trailer, you can still get everything from the front to the back so you can reach it with the loader. If you're just trying to slide the rock out of the trailer and not actually carry it somewhere, pulling the rock out with a landscape rake (handheld variety) is less effort than moving it with a shovel.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've gone through a few variations. First one was on top of the B7500 bucket. As mentioned, it was kinda high to get under the trailer hitches.

More recent was the addition of a front receiver on the L4240. Made a sturdy mount by attaching to the grille guard supports/frame.

Last one was just a few days ago. It's only a 1-7/8" ball but the only use is for moving stuff while mowing. I have a small utility trailer and a tow-behind generator (it's first life was a light tower) that were previously mowed around and relocated infrequently. Neither trailer has more than 100# or so. It's a simple piece of 3" channel held by three 3/8" bolts with a groove that locks onto the deck's reinforcing rib. Works well. Just back the ball under the hitch and raise the deck.

Attachments